X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • miket
    • Oct 2004

2x RB-1070s Vs 1 RB-1080

I'm wondering if bi-amping with two RB-1070 amps will produce a cleaner more seperated sound than using one RB-1080. I have a pair of Linn Katans that I really like, i'm just wondering for the price of an RB-1080 would I be better off trading higher volume control etc for normal volume cleaner, more open soundstage type of sound.
    If anybody has any experience with this type of trade-off I'd be interested to hear your opinion. I have all rotel euro gear which i'm upgrading to 10 series [1070 pre, 1072 cd etc] in a 20ft * 15ft * 12ft high room, the speakers are along the 15ft wall.

cheers .... miket
  • Jeff
    • Dec 2004

IMHO I would'nt spend your $ on two 1070's. I own the 1080. I have previewed in my home the 1070 before I purchased the 1080 ( about 6 months ago). The 1080 is a little cleaner and more relaxed than the 1070.

I have not tried to bi amping the 1070. However, tonight I connected a Proceed Amp 3 (125 wpc at 8 ohms) and compared it to my RB-1080.
    From the lows to the upper ranges the Proceed was fundementally superior.
    I am running B&W N802's. These are power hungry speakers.

When I performed the a/b test. I was hoping my Rotel would be able to match the Proceed. My father was with me and I was hoping to show him
    the Rotel could hold it's own. It didn't. My father laughed as he didn't
    thing anything could beat the Rotel/B&W Nautilus combo.

To get to the point, the Proceed is a superior amp to Rotel. Even at 125 wpc the Proceed played louder than the Rotel. This I still don't fully understand. Rather than purchasing two 1070's you may want to consider the RB1090. It's not much more than purchasing two 1070's.
    For the few extra $ you would be purchasing an all around better amp.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"