• Show
Clear All
  • AVspec
    • Sep 2005

More then likely no new updates coming for C1/C2 :-(

:M

I sent an email off to Parasound.. well here it is:

Hi Mark,

More than likely, there will not be any more updates to the C1/C2 platform.

Regards,
    Tom DeFiglio
    Parasound Technical Services
    ----- Original Message -----
    To: service@parasound.com
    Sent: Saturday, October 20, 2007 7:54 AM
    Subject: C2 Updates

Do you have plans to release any firmware updates for the C2 or are you done supporting the product?

Is it possible to add processing options to the 7.1 analog inputs on the C2, like bass managment, speaker size, cross-over, and distance settings?

Thank you,

-Mark

So I ended up purchasing the Integra DTC-9.8 today and I am selling my C2 if anyone is interested in it.
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

I agree, very disappointing that there will be no more C1/C2 updates. So unless Parasound's waving the white flag and giving up, (not likely) I really wonder what the have planned instead.

(oh, and side note.. that 9.8 looks like a KILLER!)
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

(Is there an opposite of the dancing banana? Maybe a sad, shuffling banana?)
      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

Hmmm... that's a brave statement from Parasound. I wonder if a next generation replacement for C1/C2 will be out soon...

Peter

Comment

• AVspec
          • Sep 2005

C2 v 9.8

Originally posted by Chris D
          I agree, very disappointing that there will be no more C1/C2 updates. So unless Parasound's waving the white flag and giving up, (not likely) I really wonder what the have planned instead.

(oh, and side note.. that 9.8 looks like a KILLER!)

Yea, so far the 9.8 is really impressing the &%!@ out of me (fill in what ever 4 letter word) !!!! I of course still have the C2 so doing side-by-side comparison was easy using a Extron audio distribution box.

I am still shocked of all the features they crammed into this thing... HDMI 1.3a switching/scaler, HD radio, etc... mind boggleing...

But I can say.. looks wise... the C2 blows away the 9.8.... ;x(

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

Heheheheeee... yeah, I can see that.

This is good info to have, though, for anyone that may be tempted to swap out a Halo processor for a new HDMI 1.3 receiver. How do they compare in performance????
            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• AVspec
              • Sep 2005

The 9.8 is a Pre/Pro not a receiver... and you would not believe how good it sounds!!! If you would have told me a year ago... heck even a week ago I would be putting an Integra piece into my rack... I would have laughed... but man I am glad I did!

And its final resting place....

Oh and one final note... it has HD radio built in it which actually sounds fantastic!

Comment

• Chris D
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Dec 2000

Thanks... how about in direct comparison to your C2? You're in a good position, being able to directly A/B the two units in comparison.
                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• mattburk
                  • Feb 2003

please do an A/B test on the onkyo and your c2.
                  www.mycstone.com
                  www.coverednow.com
                  www.biarenton.com

Comment

• Hdale85
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2006

Curious how much did you pay for the 9.8? You get much off MSRP?

Comment

• mattburk
                      • Feb 2003

Aside from cosmetics, Is there any real difference between the integra and onkyo model?
                      www.mycstone.com
                      www.coverednow.com
                      www.biarenton.com

Comment

• Chris D
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Dec 2000

Matt, I do know that the 9.8 is being discussed over in our Integra club-specific area here in HTGuide...
                        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• rocasi
                          • Dec 2003

I too would love to hear the comparisson between the C2 and the Integra. If Parasound is not going to support our units it may be time to look elsewhere.
                          My system: http://www.prontoweb.com/klipsch_HT.htm

Comment

• AVspec
                            • Sep 2005

Ok, sorry about not being around for a bit but you know how it is when you get a new toy!

So far I have done some critical listening on both units in stereo only mode, and also Dolby Digital from standard def DVD.

And then there were two movies I watched from HD-DVD, Transformers, and Poseidon. And I managed to squeeze in one movie on HD cable from Universal HD.

I have a large selection of Redbook CD’s and will not bother you with all the details about artist, songs etc.

The C2 has Stereo96 which I like a lot. I use it on all my two channel sources like CD’s, my Zune, and Cable Music. The DTC-9.8 does not have such a mode (shame too) but it has something called Neural THX 5.1/7.1 which is very good.

That said I like the Stereo96 best, so the C2 has the edge there for 2-channel analog. In stereo only mode I could not tell which pre-amp I was listening to.

Now using optical out of my CD player and using the DAC’s in the DTC-9.8 to provide the stereo sound produced very close second to the Stereo96.

Then there is this new thing you probably heard of called HD radio. The DTC-9.8 has it built into it and it lets you switch back and forth between the digital station and the analog one. I compared the HD digital station with the analog one from an Adcom GFT-555II pumped through the C2 in Stereo96 and the HD station was easily 20% better to listen too… night and day. Of course this is also true from the 9.8 itself. I can switch back and forth and just love the HD digital channels that much more. :E

Now I have had my C2 for a few years so it is well broken in… the 9.8 is still causing a burning electronic smell when warmed up so it will be a while until it is broken in so if I have not sold the C2 in a few weeks I will do another test.

Now on SD-DVD the 9.8 with THX Ultra 2 Cinema (I have a7.1 setup) engaged sounded better then the C2. It had a much more enveloping sound field in the back and the front sound stage was the best I have heard and blended in perfectly with the surrounds and there seemed to be a big improvement in detail from the center channel speaker.

Same goes for HD-DVD, I used a Toshiba A20 and ran the analog output of it to the C2 and ran HDMI to the 9.8. Again the 9.8 bested the C2. I engaged with THX Ultra 2 Cinema on both.

I am still working on getting SACD/DVD-A working over HDMI into the 9.8 and when I do I will do some more A/B’ing

I am still in the learning curve mode on the 9.8 and also I am doing lots of AMX programming to get it automated so I will be very busy over the next few weeks… also I am hoping to have a new combo unit, LG or Samsung so that I can do some BluRay sound comparison… well I guess that will only be if I get the Samsung as it is the only one that has 7.1 analog outputs and since the C2 does not have HDMI inputs…. But I digress.. :W

Comment

• d"cure"
                              • Jun 2006

Hi,did you a/b comparsions to get safety results? if don´t please do!

Comment

• AVspec
                                • Sep 2005

Originally posted by d"cure"
                                Hi,did you a/b comparsions to get safety results? if don´t please do!
                                ???? The C2 is much safer as it does not weigh as much and so you do not have as great of a chance throwing your back out with the C2. Also the Integra runs hotter then the C2 (due to the HQV Reon chip) so I guess it could burn the house down if you do not take the curtains and move them away from the Pre/Pro.. :rofl:

Comment

• Chris D
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Dec 2000

Thanks so much for the comparison! I'm sure that's very helpful to Halo owners. Since we don't have a HDMI audio option for Parasound, yet, I guess for the new HD audio formats, the only option is to have it input to the C1/C2/7100 controllers via 7.1 analog inputs. So I'd be interested to hear how the C2 would sound inputting Dolby TrueHD or DTS-MA after being decoded and sent over 7.1 analogs, perhaps in comparison to your 9.8 if you have a BD or HD-DVD player that can high-bitstream output over HDMI?
                                  CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• AVspec
                                    • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Chris D
                                    Thanks so much for the comparison! I'm sure that's very helpful to Halo owners. Since we don't have a HDMI audio option for Parasound, yet, I guess for the new HD audio formats, the only option is to have it input to the C1/C2/7100 controllers via 7.1 analog inputs. So I'd be interested to hear how the C2 would sound inputting Dolby TrueHD or DTS-MA after being decoded and sent over 7.1 analogs, perhaps in comparison to your 9.8 if you have a BD or HD-DVD player that can high-bitstream output over HDMI?
                                    If pickup the new Samsung BD5000 combo player then I will be able to do just that. If I get the LG BH200 then I will not. Will have to see which one I can get the best deal on at work.

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"