X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JP
    • Feb 2003

Dolby EX

So I did a quick search and I wasn't able to find anything on this so I decided to start a new post. I have the latest rev 2.2.6 I have tried numerous Dolby EX DVD titles and none of them trigger the EX decoding manually. Then, I tried the THX optimizer, that didn't trigger the decoding either. In fact when I selected it myself with the THX optimizer, it did not decode the rear speaker correctly. The processor re-routed the signal to the 2 rears, not the rear center. When i re-engaged the Rotel 6.1 it sounded correct. Can someone explain that to me?

Thanks!

JP
  • efarstad
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jun 2001

JP, I too have the same firmware and just tried to play AOTC and also did not get the 1066 to notice the EX flag. You used to have to push the (+) or forward arrow button to toggle between DD-EX and Rotel XS...but that's not working for me either. JP, give that a try and see if it works for you.

I'll contact Mike at Rotel tomorrow and see what I can find out....hold tight!

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
    E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
    E-Cinema

Comment

• Danbry39
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Sep 2002

A while back, Jpossum stated
      Has anyone on this forum ever listed some "tips and tricks" for using the 1066? I just got mine and have been playing around with it. I saw an older post that suggested pressing the Dolby Prologic 2 button when in Dolby Digital 5.1...voila!! Dolby Digial EX!!
      You might give it a try. If it works (or if it doesn't), let us know.

Keith
      Keith

Comment

• zeppelin
        • May 2003

Mine got the same problem with Dolby EX, I got to toggle it manually using the + & - or the surr+ button on the remote to get Dolby EX, the RSP1066 does not do it automatically.
        I'm using 2.2.6 firmware the latest from Rotel.

Comment

• JP
          • Feb 2003

Thanks guys. Its not that I can't manually put it in EX mode, its that it doesn't do it on its own. That's my question. Thanks for listening.

jp

Comment

• Mats
            Special Member
            • Jun 2000

It would be great if the Rotel could remember EX Decoding beeing switched on. When you stop playing DVD and start it again you have to switch EX decoding ON again. The same with 2 CH downmix.

I`d like to see that in a new firmware. Would be great

About the EX decoding:
            I`m not sure which DVDs are flagged correctly so I was not able to check at my machine.

Contact Andrew by the way would be helpful; not that Rotel implemented a new Bug with their new firmware

Left forum because sold Rotel gear
            Mats
            Mats Strömberg
            Ah! It's a profit deal! Takes the pressure off! Get your weight guessed right here! Only a buck! Actual live weight guessing! Take a chance and win some crap!
            Navin R Johnson (alias Steve Martin)

Comment

• efarstad
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jun 2001

From Rotel:
              I haven't gotten any similar reports of problems with DD EX decoding to my
              knowledge.... I do believe they changed the way the EX flag is raised now, in
              that previous software would simply switch to DD EX or Rotel XS based on the
              last 6.1/7.1 mode used regardless of the flags on the DVDs. The latest
              software now will not auto engage DD EX unless it receives a flag from the DVD
              (newer discs will have this flag, older titles will need to be manually engaged
              using the + key). To test this, try "Minority Report" on DVD, and it
              should automatically engage DD EX when started.
              There you have it...I'm trying all my DD-EX discs and see what happens.

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
              E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
              E-Cinema

Comment

• Legairre
                • Jan 2002

I have a version 1 1066 with software 1.50. The EX light comes on whenever I put in an EX flagged disc. I have to force it into EX mode on non EX flagged disc, but the flagged ones work great.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
                Radden Home Theater
                Radden Home Theater

Comment

• OnlyOne
                  • Aug 2003

This seems like a pretty glaring bug, does anyone know if Rotel plans to fix this through the firmware?

Comment

• JP
                    • Feb 2003

It seems weired. Since it used to go into EX mode. Since the upgrade software that allowed people to manually engage EX, the EX never comes up on its own. I am actually now having problems with my RMB1075, so Im going to concentrate on that!

Comment

• Legairre
                      • Jan 2002

I guess I don't understand the problem. My EX flagged disc default to EX mode, but my non-EX flagged disc need to be forced into EX mode. Seems to work the way it should.

Radden Home Theater
                      Radden Home Theater

Comment

• JP
                        • Feb 2003

Legairre,
                        your correct. That's the way it should work. For some reason my doesn't work that way. Although it did months and months ago. I just bothered bringing it up now because of the new rev that people were talking about. (2.26)

oh well

jp

Comment

• Legairre
                          • Jan 2002

Jp, so your running 2.26 and it doesn't work , but mine running 1.50 and it does. I wonder if Rotel missed something in the 2.26 version of the software.

Anyone else with 1.50 or 2.26 want to chime in on how their units manage EX flagged and un-flagged disc.

Radden Home Theater
                          Radden Home Theater

Comment

• will1066
                            • Aug 2003

I now have 2.26 and tried out Minority Report and LOTR: TTT and both engaged automatically. I don't want to hijack the thread but I heard a low "tick," not pop, when the different modes engaged. Do you hear a tick?

Comment

• Legairre
                              • Jan 2002

will,
                              I get a VERY VERY low tick when EX mode engages. I haven't noticed it in any other mode. Mine is hardly noticable. Actually no one else even knows it's there, but me. My Denon receiver used to make a similar tick when changing modes too.

Radden Home Theater
                              Radden Home Theater

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2000

What used to happen is it would stay on the last surround mode so it would always be on EX. It now looks for the right signal and if its no encoded properly it wont recognize it so you'll have to force it into the right mode....at lease that's how i think it works now. I gave up my 1055 with the new firmware before i got chance to really test it

Comment

• will1066
                                  • Aug 2003

Thanks, Legairre and Andrew.

Comment

• ejfiii
                                    • May 2003

man, I cant believe it. I have been watching Bad Boys in NON EX. This thread made me get off the couch to check the front of the 1065 in the closet in a different room and sure enough, no EX. Press + and EX. That's annoying.

Oh well.

E. J.

My HT
                                    My HT

Comment

• Kevin D
                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                      • Oct 2002

I'm pretty sure Bad Boys came out BEFORE Dolby EX. So it shouldn't turn on. Doesn't the Rotel XS processing take over when not in EX mode with the center rears turned on?

Also keep in mind that some movies not designed for EX could sound worse with it turned on.

Kevin D.

Comment

• ejfiii
                                        • May 2003

Originally posted by Kevin D
                                        I'm pretty sure Bad Boys came out BEFORE Dolby EX.
                                        Well crap, I knew someone would make be go check, and you're right. I thought the Superbit version I have is EX, but its not. It was the T2 Extreme DVD that the EX flag was not recognized. No matter the disc, it is annoying.

E. J.

My HT
                                        My HT

Comment

• Wilfred
                                          • May 2003

None of my EX (so the box say) discs: Monster Inc., Star Wars II, LOTR-TFOTR, are detected correctly. Manually changing with the |+> key works.

However, like magic, got Harry Potter8)S the other day and it WORKS!!

I have 1066 with 2.26 firmware. Could this be DVD player related? There is a audiable tick during mode switch (P-II to DD-EX), but am not concerned about it.

Cheers.

Comment

• JP
                                            • Feb 2003

I have to apologize again guys. I have just completed 'phase 2' of my relocation to California so I have been sooo busy!

Its good to see some feedback on this issue. The EX thing didn't work either with the old software rev. (It stopped working about 3 revs ago. Icluding 2.26)

jp

Comment

• zeppelin
                                              • May 2003

You guys should test the DTS ES mode also on the 2.2.6 frimware, so far mine working fine with the DTS ES disk, the 1066 detected the mode, but not with DD EX still on manual.

Comment

• zeppelin
                                                • May 2003

Ok guys I got good news on my RSP1066, I reload the new firmware, took about an hour on WinXP and the good news is my 1066 detected automatically the DD EX and DTS ES. I deleberately On and Off the unit the 1066 still dectected the DD EX flag auto.
                                                So the firmware 2.2.6 are working well after all.
                                                I suggest to all those who got problem to reload the firmware once again.

Comment

• JP
                                                  • Feb 2003

I am going to have to try that when all my equioment arrives here in California.

Thanks to all!

JP

Comment

• pbarata
                                                    • Feb 2003

I’ve now firmware version 2.2.6 coming from version 2.2.4. I did only a few tests with a couple of DVDs and everything worked fine, with automatically detection of DTS ES and Dolby Digital EX modes.
                                                    Movies: Samsung LCD LE37A557, Rotel RSP-1066 & RMB-1075, Sony PS3, VdH D-102 Hybrid III interc, QED XT-350 & Supra Rondo 4x2,5 speaker cable, QED Qunex P75 coax, Monitor Audio Silver 5i/8i/10i speakers, REL Quake sub, QED Qunex SR-SW subwoofer cable, IXOS XHT458 HDMI, Supra LoRad, Isotek Mini Sub GII;
                                                    Music: Rega Planar 3, Goldring 1042, Vincent PHO-8, Krell KAV-280cd, Krell KAV-400xi, B&W 703, Siltech SQ-28 Classic G5 (XLR), Siltech LS-68 Classic Mk2, Nordost Vishnu, QED Qonduit MDH6.

Comment

Working...
                                                    😀
                                                    😂
                                                    🥰
                                                    😘
                                                    🤢
                                                    😎
                                                    😞
                                                    😡
                                                    👍
                                                    👎
                                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                    Search Result for "|||"