2nd Sub-out on 1098, any way to change??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Orange Peel
    • Nov 2004

2nd Sub-out on 1098, any way to change??

I just hooked up my other SVS in the bedroom, and I couldn't figure out how to get it setup for Zone2 operation. It sucks to have to use the main volume control to get the sub loud, and then you have the mains playing loud too, and the Zone2 speakers are independent and not as loud, PIA.

Any way to set the 2nd sub out to Zone2 or anyway to get a Zone2 sub?? thanks!
    Scott Goldsmith
  • DrJRapp
    Super Senior Member
    • Apr 2003

Scott

Which SVS are you using in the bedroom? Does it have speaker level inputs and outputs? That may be your only way. Of course this won't give you any x.1 operation but it will provide for the low feqs if you are using small speakers for zone 2.
    Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• Dmantis
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jun 2004

Agreed,
      I would re wire the zone 2 by redirecting the speakerwires to the sub , then to the speakers. the sub would be INLINE and the volume will effect it's output.

Another way to get this done is to run ZONE 2 preouts to the sub. I have no Idea how your system is wired now but speaker level to the speakers and preouts to the sub from the ZONE 2 preouts is another way to get it done.

I would use the speaker level way.

Dan

Comment

• Orange Peel
        • Nov 2004

Jerry - I'm running the PB10 in the bedroom and it doesn't have speaker line ins, just one line in for the coax cable. Also my bedroom speakers are in walls and the wires are run through the wall, into the attic, then to the amplifier, etc. I just thought there was a way to have a sub set for zone2 and then one for the main room.

Dan - As stated to Jerry, no line level for the speakers, just the sub input. I looked through the menu on the 1098 and couldn't find anything to set the sub 2 or sub 1 to zone2 only
        Scott Goldsmith

Comment

• PewterTA
          • Nov 2004

I agree, I don't see any way to really do that, I believe from the menu in the 1098. Though you wonder if this is something they could put into the firmware to change it...?!

The only way I know of doing it is buying a couple different cables or making your own to go from the amp's output into an RCA connection to the sub. The lack of having a crossover might kill you though. You might have to get and put an inline crossover to keep the PB10-ISD from playing stuff in the 80+Hz region making it stand out in the bedroom.
          Digital Audio makes me Happy.
          -Dan

Comment

• Orange Peel
            • Nov 2004

What a pain in the arse! I will just live with having to turn the sub on when I am in the bedroom, and having the main system cranked too so I can hear the sub
            Scott Goldsmith

Comment

• PewterTA
              • Nov 2004

Why not go out and spend money and get one of those cheap Panasonic digital receivers? I know they aren't a whole lot and sound decent, then you'd get your sub-out...

Just an idea.

This is why too that I still haven't sold my Yamaha RX-v1400...
              -Dan

Comment

• Orange Peel
                • Nov 2004

I wouldn't mind getting a new receiver for the bedroom, but the inwalls are prewired into the house and the wires run out of the room into the main area I want to do a bedroom setup, just waiting to get some more money and then I will get a new TV, etc, etc. Not sure on the receiver, I would love to try a B&K or something, but who knows.
                Scott Goldsmith

Comment

• PewterTA
                  • Nov 2004

Well climb up in the attic, cut the cords, drop them down in the wall, cut out a hole, grab the wire, attach them to two speaker wall plates, then all you have to do is hook the receiver up to the nice wall plates with banana plugs.

I did that for my friend's house. Took us a matter of 45 minutes to finish up. We cut the cable so it was long enough to run up the wall, over into the center, then drop it down for a dual speaker connection in the center (4 binding post). It's a long about run to the speakers, but works perfectly fine since he didn't want to tear up the wall to run the cable horizontally through it.
                  -Dan

Comment

• Orange Peel
                    • Nov 2004

I would do that if I could get in the attic, it's all blocked off and crap, vaulted ceilings make things hard to do
                    Scott Goldsmith

Comment

• DrJRapp
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Orange Peel
                      I wouldn't mind getting a new receiver for the bedroom, but the inwalls are prewired into the house and the wires run out of the room into the main area I want to do a bedroom setup, just waiting to get some more money and then I will get a new TV, etc, etc. Not sure on the receiver, I would love to try a B&K or something, but who knows.
                      Scott

The little panny receiver is great. I have the XR25 which I bought for $179 from J&R. These power RB25s and RCX4 with RS25s and a Energy 10" sub in a 5.1 setup. The Panny receiver is clean as a whistle and a good match for Klipsch. Yo've trusted my recommendations before, trust me on this one also. The only thing I don't like about the panny is the spring clip speaker connections for the surrounds. The mains and center have regular 3 way binding posts. There wasn't enough room on the back for panasonic to put 5 of them on it.
                      Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• DrJRapp
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Apr 2003

I would do that if I could get in the attic, it's all blocked off and crap, vaulted ceilings make things hard to do
                        If attic acess is a problem then just remove the inwalls, disconnect the wires and run new ones to 18" above the floor with new boxes and terminals as stated above. Replace the inwalls and you're done.
                        Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• Orange Peel
                          • Nov 2004

I will check out the Panny, I emailed them to see where I can find them from a distributor (cheaper for me) and I await their response.

As for the rewire, I don't follow that last post Jerry Are you going to come over and help patch the drywall?
                          Scott Goldsmith

Comment

• DrJRapp
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Apr 2003

As for the rewire, I don't follow that last post Jerry Are you going to come over and help patch the drywall?
                            Should be no drywall patching required?

Step 1 Remove speakers from wall
                            Step 2 Disconnect the existing wires, tape them off and push into wall cavity.
                            Step 3 connect new wires to speakers
                            Step 4 cut opening for jem box approx 18" from floor directly below each inwall
                            Step 5 Snake new wires from inwall hole to jem box hole
                            Step 6 re-install inwalls
                            Step 7 insert jem box...hold in wall with madison clips.
                            Step 8 wire up pearker connector device (avail at Home Depot.
                            Step 9 install device in jem box
                            Step 10 Plate up

I'd come help ya but I don't think you can afford me at $2400 a day plus travel.....lol
                            Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• Orange Peel
                              • Nov 2004

With that route I would have to run the wire across the floor to the receiver then from the wall correct?
                              Scott Goldsmith

Comment

• Orange Peel
                                • Nov 2004

And no, I think having some drywall folks come in and redo everything would be cheaper than that
                                Scott Goldsmith

Comment

• PewterTA
                                  • Nov 2004

yes you would have to run wires across the floor to the receiver....

Though if you have baseboards in your bedroom, this leaves another option...remove the baseboard, drill a hole where the wire would come out behind it, run the wire behind the baseboard, then either out the top or bottom by where the receiver is. Then there's (virtually) no wires shown.
                                  -Dan

Comment

• DrJRapp
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Apr 2003

With that route I would have to run the wire across the floor to the receiver then from the wall correct?
                                    Scott
                                    Does the room have crown moulding?
                                    Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Aug 2000

There's also things like Paradigms X30 unit that you could use at the source (the Rotel) to help split off a true subwoofer channel. The zone two outputs on the Rotel are going to be full range so you'll need to cut out the bass from them anyway otherwise those inwalls are going to bottom out (unless they've got built in protection). The little Paradigm units are pretty reasonably priced as well.

Comment

• Orange Peel
                                        • Nov 2004

I already removed the baseboards once to install my wood flooring, don't want to do it again

Jerry - No crown molding

Andrew - Thanks for the info on that unit, I will look into it. As far as the zone2, it runs to my HK PA5800, then to the inwalls, I believe they have crossover settings built in or something, they are not bottoming out, hell, they have barely any bass
                                        Scott Goldsmith

Comment

• DrJRapp
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Apr 2003

Scott

Crown molding can be a very good conduit. I believe I once sent you pics of my RS 7s. Look at them again and you will see how I did that. If you can't find the pics I'll send them to you again from home.
                                          Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• Orange Peel
                                            • Nov 2004

I saw those pics, it looks awesome, and I would love to install it. I have vaulted ceilings (15ft+) and installing them would be hard. I would be better off running along the baseboard or rewiring through the attic somehow.
                                            Scott Goldsmith

Comment

Working...
                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                            Search Result for "|||"