X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blindamood
    • Sep 2003

New Rotel Owner and Club Member

Hello all…I just purchased and installed my first Rotel piece, so I'm hoping I can now join the club! I've been a loyal follower of the HTGuide forum for some time now, and want to thank all of you for the valuable information you provide. I've been researching the RSP-1068 for a while, and have picked up a great deal of information here (and love the pics of your systems, too).

As I mentioned, I just got the RSP-1068 (in black), which is replacing a Pioneer VSX-45tx that I've been using lately as a pre-pro. My amp is an Adcom 7700 (5 x 175w), driving all B&W CDM series speakers. (See my profile for additional system details.) I've been pining for a dedicated pre-pro for a while, and have been researching many options, including the B&K Reference 50, Anthem AVM30, etc. For the money, the Rotel has the best mix of advanced features, sound quality, build level, and software upgradeability that I've been looking for.

I picked up the RSP-1068 on Friday evening, and got everything installed and configured on Saturday. Set-up was a snap, since I basically had the rest of the system already in place. I even got all of the connections right on the first try…! Once I got the OSD working over component video (set video connections to Progressive), I had no problem making the adjustments I needed to get going. Speaking of features, some of the primary reasons I got this unit include the following: 3 high-res component video connections, video transcoding (to component), individual sub settings per sound format, extremely flexible crossover settings--per speaker, and decoding all of the latest surround formats. Speaking of crossover settings, I'm eager to compare the different settings (i.e., 60Hz vs. 80Hz) for my fronts -- B&W CDM 9NTs -- which can go a bit lower than the surrounds and center. So far, I'm going with 60 on the fronts and 80 on the rest.

Once I got things set up and properly calibrated, I jumped right into the usual listening and viewing tests. I tried my normal reference CDs (I like the 2-channel direct input the best) and also DVD-Audio and SACDs. Favorites include Steely Dan/Donald Fagen, Roxy Music, Beck, etc. The sound so far is awesome. I've read that after break-in this unit sounds even better, so we'll see in a week or two. For movies, I watched "Star Wars: Attack of the Clones" and "Paycheck." Everyone is probably familiar with SW and the cool flyovers and sub sounds in the movie, but Paycheck was a very pleasant surprise. Video quality was top notch, and the surround effects were incredible (not so sure about the plot, though…).

Anyway, just wanted to share my initial experiences with you all. So far, I'm extremely pleased, and look forward to enjoying many nights in my theater with my new Rotel. Updated pictures forthcoming…

Regards,
    Brad
    Last edited by Blindamood; 31 January 2005, 12:39 Monday.
    Brad
  • tipex
    • Jan 2005

Congratulations on your new toys Did you configure sound levels with a spl and configuration dvd? I noticed, at least on my 1068, that the testtones weren't accurate at all.

Comment

• PewterTA
      • Nov 2004

Congrats!!! Glad you like your new 1068!

Did you notice a big improvement on the surround steering over the Pioneer. I've noticed that seems to be one place that Pioneer seems a lack a small amount. Lots of people have told me that they've never heard surround like they have on my 1098...and I typically agree that seems to be a highlight of it!

I do agree, give it some time to "break-in/you get used to the sound" and you'll definitely enjoy the subtle changes that the 1068 will bring.
      Digital Audio makes me Happy.
      -Dan

Comment

• Blindamood
        • Sep 2003

Originally posted by tipex
        Congratulations on your new toys Did you configure sound levels with a spl and configuration dvd? I noticed, at least on my 1068, that the testtones weren't accurate at all.
        I configured the sound using the radio shack meter and the 1068's test tones. I also configured using the dvd player's test tones for the multi-channel inputs. How can you tell that the 1068's test tones are not accurate? Seemed to work okay for me.
        Brad

Comment

• tipex
          • Jan 2005

I know the're not accurate (on my 1068) because I have a reference dvd (avia) with proper tones and there was a big difference with the tones of the rotel. The fronts were about right but the others didn't come close.

Comment

• Blindamood
            • Sep 2003

I'll double-check with DVE when I get a chance. I also saw the thread that discussed the -10db for the sub channel, so I'll check that out as well.
            Brad

Comment

• tipex
              • Jan 2005

I'm curious if you'll see the same thing as I did. The sub I noticed as well, that was to low with the reference tones for dolby digital at least, didn't check dts.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

DVE's subwoofer test tones are wrong as well so I wouldn't use that to calibrate the sub channel. Simply boost the LFE by 10 dB and it should be fine. I've compared the test tones in my 1098 to those in Avia and the only channel that's off by any significance is the centre (2 dB difference). The Subwoofer test tone is 10 dB too low though as was already mentioned above.

Comment

• Blindamood
                  • Sep 2003

Thanks for the info, Andrew. BTW, which direction is the center off?
                  Brad

Comment

• Azeke
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Mar 2003

Brad,

Welcome to Club Rotel, if the center is off you should add +2db, at least that what I found to be true on my 1098.

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• Blindamood
                      • Sep 2003

Still Lovin' It

Well, at the risk of boring you with my continuing story, I have to say the RSP-1068 has added a whole new dimension of 'musicality' to my system. I've spent the past few days tweaking my setup, and WOW I am amazed at how much better it sounds for CD (2-channel bypass) and SACD/DVD-A. I always suspected I was losing some of the low end while listing to multi-channel music on my Pioneer receiver...now I know. I put in some of my favorite older CD selections last night and couldn't stop listening. I heard things I've never heard before...

Thanks for everyone's help on the channel setup. I have to say my favorite new feature of the Rotel is the ability to temporary increase/decrease each channel individually...this saves tons of time when trying to get things dialed in just right. Oh, and the LFE Redirect for multi-channel inputs; I think that is part of the reason I'm hearing the extended bass I was missing before. I also think that I'm finally using my B&W CDM 9NTs (fronts) as they were intended to be heard.
                      Brad

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"