X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

What is "Superdisc Video"?

I think we've already talked about this, but I can't remember. I was trolling on Acoustic Sound's website today, and came across a new album/video from 3 Doors Down. It's a "Superdisc Video" made by Monster apparently. (I know, I know, I owe them $1 for typing the M-word) It looks like there's two of these out so far, the 3 Doors Down live album, and a live album by Peter Cincotti.

Anybody know anything about these yet? They say they're "Filmed in high-definition video and surround sound"... are these just DVD's? Or one of the new HD formats? Or do you need DVD-A equipment?

Here's the link: http://store.acousticsounds.com/cate...&section=music
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • dyazdani
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Oct 2005

From what I've seen, they are standard DVDs - they are NOT HD-DVD/Blu-ray, nor are they DVD-A/SACD on the audio side.

The mastering process is supposed to be higher quality and they start with the best source they can, HD video for example in 1080p. My take is that the product description is a marketing tool.

That said, it seems like the people who have tried them say the quality is quite good. It may not be true HD or high resolution audio (SACD, etc), but the production is high quality.

There is a big thread on these at AVS...
    Danish

Comment

• John Holmes
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

I saw on at my local Hi-fi retailer. It's a Ray Charles Duets disc that they have. I've been thinking about buying it for over 2 months and have yet to pull the trigger. I did get a chance to sample it in the store. I liked what I heard but, would have to hear it in my own home before giving it the thumbs up.
      "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

Sooo... kind of a "Superbit" DVD sort of thing, eh? I have to question bringing about an improved-quality SD DVD, when HD-discs are out right now.
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• John Holmes
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Well, I guess the real question is, will HD-DVD really take-off? I don't see an issue having this software available. It's like having HDCD. A nice option to redbook but not replacing it.
          "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Arneson
            • Jan 2006

I would not know where to put this query but,
            What is this DVD that has Widescreen on one side, flip it and it's old format on the other?
            Jim

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"