X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • benny
    • Jan 2005

RC-1070 Preamp is frozen up

I'm having a frustrating problem with my preamp. A few times in the past, I have gone to touch the unit and the static electricity in my hands caused the unit to pop slightly and turn off. After turning the unit off/on or unplugging the ac, it would go back to working properly. Well, this happened last night but now I cannot get the unit to do anything. I already tried the above steps as well as disconnecting the 12v turn ons. The bright, blue standby light is glowing. What's really weird is that the small light inside the volume knob is lit at about 50% of the intensity that it was at before. Does anybody know what is going on here?
  • soundhound
    • Mar 2004

How far are you from you're dealer? The fact that the blue led is dim implies something is pulling on you're power supply or something in the supply has failed. Do you have the remote? I would consider putting a humidifier in that room if it were me or find a different place to discharge (pet the cat, touch my wife....)

Comment

• Taito
      • Sep 2004

Definately a problem for an autorised Rotel service centre (your dealer will sort it out). I'd say it is not static electricity built up on your hand that is causing the shock, but rather a charge build-up on the preamp - a very strong indicator of a component failure. - get it checked!

-Ben

Comment

• benny
        • Jan 2005

Thanks for the helpful replies. Looks like I'm going back to the shop for my fourth warranty visit. The shop is close, and they'll provide a loaner if asked, but I'm sure it will get sent off for 2-3 weeks.

Comment

• H.Donald
          • Aug 2004

I had no idea that static electricity could be so powerful.Twice now in the past month it has frozen my rsp 1068.The first time was a real pain because I lost all settings.
          My room is a basement and very dry...so I guess I'll add a humidifier or look into some kind of anti-static pad in front of the system.Funny... how this has just started this year after being in this house for four years.The condition seems to have intensified after new leather furniture and a paint job.Coincidence???

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
            Super Senior Member
            • Oct 2003

H.Donald,
            The condition seems to have intensified after new leather furniture and a paint job. Coincidence???
            Sadly no - shiny furniture rubbbing on cloths can generate static. Leather is one of the things that they use in science labs at school to show static - lifting peoples hair etc.. In Winter with snow you can get very dry air making the problem worse...

Geoff

Comment

• benny
              • Jan 2005

Is there anything specific we can do to eliminate these problems from happening again (besides the aforementioned humidifier)? I've seen those static eliminators in mapleshade for cds and cables. Is there something to prevent the static build-up on the power supplies of our rotel "pieces"

Comment

• soundhound
                • Mar 2004

There are anti-static devices on the market for work benches, etc....A humidifier is probably the easiest due to the fact you will supress it at it's source. You could set something up to ground yourself prior to touching your'e gear, but that little "snap" may get old real soon. You could put a conductive mat in front of your'e rack, but then depending on footwear, you may or may not discharge. A giant ionizer, but they create ozone so your'e gear would corrode, but seriously, some company somewhere may have invented such a thing to deal with the issue.

Comment

• H.Donald
                  • Aug 2004

I have seen those static eliminators pads,like the ones in a hospital o.r.,but that seem a little drastic.I have just been trying to touch something else before my 1068.

Comment

• Mitchell
                    • Sep 2004

Is this a problem with Rotel gear specifically or do many components have this problem?
                    Also, as I am new to this forum, do any of the older members remember any posts in previous winters (or anytime) about static electricity.
                    All these post are starting to make me worry that my wonderfully working Rotel system is a a ticking time bomb waiting to explode with one proplem or another.
                    Do I need to worry about static? Its not been an issue ever with anything else in our house.
                    Mitchell

Comment

• dermie999
                      • Jul 2004

Hi Mitchell,

I was like you and used to worry about all the negative feedback on Rotel gear that appears in this forum. However I was convinced by the likes of Andrew and Aussie Geoff that Rotel was good gear so I went ahead and bought and am exceedingly glad I did. I think what tends to happen is that those who are happy with their system tend to say very little and those who are unhappy speak loud and long about their unhappiness (this is a natural human tendency).

So my message to you is if you are happy with your Rotel gear then continue to enjoy and don't worry whether your equipment is going to fail - faults always develop and some people are unluck enough to experience them. I have had my Rotel stuff for over eighteen months now and not a single problem with any of it. Sure I have upgraded but that is only because I can.

I am betting that if everyone who has Rotel gear and who has had little or no problem with it posted their experience on on this forum then the voice of those who have problems wouldn't sound as loud. This is not to say that those who are raising problems shouldn't I am just saying that if there was a both positive and negative feedback then a balanced view could be achieved.

In the meantime just enjoy your gear - it is very good.

Trevor

Comment

• soundhound
                        • Mar 2004

I 2nd Trevor's statement s about the Rotel gear, a very wise choice. As far as the static anything @ ground potential is suseptable to discharge. Are bodies are like capacitors, we can store positive energy, and at the first contact with ground we will discharge. In a nutshell, positive voltage seeks the path of least resistance to ground.

Comment

• Mitchell
                          • Sep 2004

Perhaps some of the people posting should store a little more positive energy and post some of it!
                          Mitchell

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"