X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hired goon
    • Aug 2004

Adding a DAC to RCD-1072

G'day,

Has anyone connected a DAC to a Rotel RCD-1072, and noticed a difference?

I've been looking at the Musical Fidelity X-DAC v3 in particular for a HTPC project. I'm wondering if connecting this to a sound card may be superior to my RCD-1072, or whether it would even improve the sound of my RCD-1072.

Also, if anyone has tried the Musical Fidelity X-10 v3 Tube Output Buffer on Rotel gear, I'd love to hear how it sounded.

--Geoff
  • mattburk
    • Feb 2003

they actually have that exact set up at my local hifi store. I have not listened to it, but being that they sell that exact set up, I bet its a good option.
    www.mycstone.com
    www.coverednow.com
    www.biarenton.com

Comment

• hired goon
      • Aug 2004

G'day,

I'm looking at the Benchmark DAC1 as well, which gets discussed a fair bit around here. If I used my DVD player as transport to this DAC, would it give better sound than my Rotel RCD-1072?

--Geoff

Comment

• Jeff
        • Dec 2004

hired goon, in my case the 1072 was better. What I did to test this is to hook up my digital output on both myToshiba 5700 dvd player ($400) and the 1072. That way I was using the DAC's in the receiver to test which transport was better. With this test the 1072 was an easy winner. What surprised me was that it was pretty easy to determine the improvement. I was expecting little to no difference.

Jeff

Comment

• hired goon
          • Aug 2004

G'day,

Originally posted by Jeff
          ...That way I was using the DAC's in the receiver to test which transport was better. With this test the 1072 was an easy winner.
          I wonder if this is because the transports introduce different kinds of errors (or varying degrees of the same error), and the DAC in the receiver was only good enough to fix the errors from the better transport?

What I mean is, perhaps a better DAC (such as the Benchmark DAC1) would have corrected more errors from either transport, rather than just those in the better transport?

Dunno if that's possible, but just a thought.

--Geoff

Comment

• chrispy35
            • Feb 2004

Originally posted by hired goon
            G'day,
            I wonder if this is because the transports introduce different kinds of errors (or varying degrees of the same error), and the DAC in the receiver was only good enough to fix the errors from the better transport?
            --Geoff
            I'm pretty sure there are no data (amplitude) errors to worry about. i.e. A '1' never gets interpreted as a '0' and vice versa, for either transport. The 1992 AES paper "Is the AESEBU/SPDIF Digital Audio Interface Flawed?" covers this.

The only type of error would be a timing error: jitter. It's quite possible that the two different players have very different output jitter levels and that the DAC used is not good a filtering out the jitter.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"