X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Leef DaLucky
    • May 2003

Holy 1095 size, batman!

Greetings all,
    Been lurking around since Xmas, watching things develop here in the forum.
    Glad to see you have a tight knit community and that there's folks here who are able and willing to help others out...

I was planning on going the 1066/1095 route like a lot of others. I finally went out and auditioned a couple systems and i have to say i'm a little dissapointed in the sheer mammoth size of the 1095 amp.
    i just got a NICE little cherry wood rack setup for my old components, and i was hoping a 1095 would fit in there somewhere but nope!
    how come these things are so huge?
    Compared to same power amps a lot of them are smaller components.
    ie: parasound, anthem etc. (both below 8" tall)

I guess my question is this: has anyone heard any rumors about a 200 watt or so amp coming out from rotel that is just a little shorter then the 1095?
    (i'd rather stay at 200 watts than go 120w with the smaller 1075).
    i have no idea what kind of speakers i'll wind up with, but i'm hoping either paradigms or B&W's.

Cheers,
    L.

-----------------------------------
    "Some days yer the Dog, others yer the Hydrant."
    "...Because Good is Dumb...!"
    -Dark Helmet
  • Danbry39
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2002

Unfortunately, no.

Me personally, I have my Parasound amp, which is very deep in size, separated from the rest of my components for heat dispersion, but that probably wouldn't work out for you. You might contact Rotel to find out for sure, but I'm pretty sure you'd get the same answer.

Keith
    Keith

Comment

• ht_addict
      • Dec 2002

If you compare a parasound HCA-2205AT with the Rotel RMB-1095 you notice the 1095 is 2" higher but the Parasound is 4" deeper. I have a feeling this has to do with the 2-1.2KVA torodials the Rotel uses(stacked) compared to the one 2KVA for the Parasound. Personally I went with the 1095 but that was only because I got it for $1550CDN with 5+4yr warranty. For my rack its too deep and too heavy. Had to use 3 solid doillies under the shelf to hold it in place

Kevin

Comment

• Leef DaLucky
        • May 2003

ya i know what you mean.
        i was actually looking at the halo a51 (a bit out of my range), but the size is perfect. I was kinda hoping Rotel left a kinda rmb-1085 designate for just such an occasion.
        Maybe a larger, single torodial version of the 1075.
        Maybe a little 170w number.
        Wishful thinking i suppose.
        the only reason, anyways, that i wanted the 200W amp, was i heard the N804's and i'm quite impressed. Stereo shop dude says i pretty much have to go with a higher powered amp for them.
        I also looked at the cdm-9nts though. THEY could be powered with the 1075. i'd want the big ass Center with it though. HTM1 is the way to go.

That's alright though, i wont be pulling any triggers on anything for a bit so i can continue to day dream for a while.
        New houses and Jeeps take too much cash away from my 'fun' fund.
        heh.

-Dark Helmet

Comment

• dali
          • Jul 2002

Why are so many people just looking at the numbers? Do you really need 200W, considering that most of that power is never used?

Audition a 1075 and don't just look at the rating, 120 real Rotel-W should be enough for just about anything ...

Comment

• Leef DaLucky
            • May 2003

Fair enough Dali,
            i was feeling the old "what if i regret not having the extra 80w" syndrome.
            my onkyo now, pushes around 80w, and it sounds alright. i'm assuming i'll notice the jump to 120.
            I just want this amp to be the end-all-be-all amp that i buy.
            Stereo's (processors mostly) seem to be going the computer route. I wanna get rid of the obsolescence factor as much as i can.
            The wife will most likely gimme 1 shot at this, as well.
            so i gotta be sure.
            At least i've settled on rotel, that much i know.
            like i said though, lots of time.
            time to audition and bug the HT shops.
            heh heh

Cheers, L
            P.S. those reps should come in here.
            lots to learn.

-Dark Helmet

Comment

• Danbry39
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Sep 2002

P.S. those reps should come in here.
              lots to learn
              Somehow, I get the sneeky suspicion that they're pretty up on what's posted at this site. :yesnod:

Out of curiosity, what model Onkyo do you have? I ask this because older model Onkyos had wonderful power supplies, where as certain of the newer models are, saying it politely, lacking in this regard, especially with five channels being driven.

I know that the difference between 125 watts per channel and 200 watts per channel seems like a lot, but, in real terms, it only equates to less than a 3 decibel difference in output from the speakers. If you can drive the speakers comfortable to sound levels you like in your listening environment, my main concern personally would be the quality of those watts, although headroom is a definite plus in this regard.

I still always get excited when I hear about someone getting some really nice new gear. :banana:

Keith
              Keith

Comment

• Scarp
                • Mar 2003

Leef, I have a pair of N804's paired up with a RB1090 (the stereo version of the 1095) and its incredible. I also heared the same speakers with a 1095 and thats fenominal too. The 1075 is a no go for the N804's, the 1075 just doesn't have the control.
                I also have the HTM1 and have that one bi-amped on my 1075 (which only is used for the center and two surrounds). I already had the 1075 and that was sufficient for a set of B&W 604's, but definitly not good for a 804.

Yes, the amps are big, but then again, they look impressive !

Comment

• Leef DaLucky
                  • May 2003

Scarp: ya thats what i was thinking too.
                  I think it'll come down to whether i get the n804's or the cdm-9nt's.
                  if i can, i want to go full sized all around. That's another concern of lower powered amps.

danbry: i actually have an onkyo ds-838. its one of the first generation Dolby Digital receivers, so it DOES in fact have nice power. It just doesn't have DTS on it (grrrr.) and unlike its brother (the 828) its not THX rated either. DD5.1 on it still makes my hair stand on end though.

i was one of the guys following DVD progression, so on the day DVD's came out i went and ordered my entire system. I knew it was gonna be "the next best thing". 7 years later though, i have the itch to get some really NICE stuff. Part of the reason i got middle of the line JBL's was that i was in a frat house situation and i didn't wanna spend too much on speakers that might have been blown. heh heh.
                  Now i want what i'll call "the Carlsberg Years system" though.
                  should last me about 20 years. hopefully.

-Dark Helmet

Comment

• Danbry39
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Sep 2002

Leef DaLucky,

Happy to hear of your Onkyo Model.

When I decided to upgrade my old Onkyo Pro-7 a year and a half ago or so, I hadn't been following any boards or reading anything about what was good or not. :banghead: I loved my old Onkyo so much that I felt the new ones must be spectacular, especially at higher rated power. I gave my old trusty Onkyo to my teenaged daughter and said, "Just wait til you hear this baby." Well, to cut to the chase, it didn't sound nearly as good as my old standard. Man, I wish Onkyo made 'em the way they used to. And, by no means is Onkyo the only company guilty of this, but my expectations, built on older generation Onkyos, had set my expectations way up there.

Keith
                    Keith

Comment

• Rock Dog
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Leef DaLucky
                      Greetings all,
                      Been lurking around since Xmas, watching things develop here in the forum.
                      Glad to see you have a tight knit community and that there's folks here who are able and willing to help others out...

Cheers,
                      L.
                      Who the HELL are you? :twisted:
                      Who told you about this place? :wedgie:
                      How long do you plan to sticking around? :grab:

-Thomas-

The easiest way to find something lost around the house, is to buy a replacement.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide Off-Topic section. It's FUN!!!

-Thomas-

As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide After Midnight section. It's FUN!!!

Comment

• Nicholas Renter
                        • Jun 2002

Here's my suggestion....

Instead of looking at the B&W Nautilus 804s, consider the B&W Nautilus 805s and a REL Strata III sub.

N804 ($3500.00 USD)
                        N805 ($2000.00 USD) + REL Strata III ($1500.00) = $3500.00 USD

This will give you a fuller-range sound and allow you the position the 805s for best imaging while positioning the sub for best low-end room response. Get both the speakers and sub in the natural cherry finish. Cross the REL over at about 42 Hz. Not only will they sound like a cohesive unit, they will look like one, too.

Although the N805s appreciate the extra power that the 1095 can give, it's not absolutely necessary. The 1075 will do you right in this situation and save you some coin.

Also, as with all new B&W products, be sure to run them for a week or 2 solid before doing any serious listening.

Comment

• Leef DaLucky
                          • May 2003

heya rock..
                          in answer to yer quiries:
                          A) just a dude, nuthin really special.
                          actually, my name is Mikey. I'm a scientist up here in toronto.
                          me and my team are working on polio.
                          (quick version).
                          B) been into HT for about 8 years.
                          checking in on the various forums.
                          Learned about this place from AVSforums.com.
                          c) should be around for quite a while.
                          rotel is something that i'd like to think is in the "upper-middle" graph of that bar that HT dood showed me OH-Sooo-long-ago.
                          something i can reach for.
                          I wont reach it yet.
                          i have onkyo and Jbl.
                          Nothing ground-breaking.
                          but something might be forth coming , i hope.
                          One of these days i hope.
                          Hell, i might be here forever listening to these outadated 1098 posts.
                          wondering why i didnt pick one up when i was 30.
                          heh.
                          *pokes at Azeze and Scarp*
                          bastards!
                          *kick the dirt*

-Dark Helmet

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"