X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stjoenewt
    • Jul 2003

Matching system components

A few days ago, I posted a thread regarding the RSX1055 vs. other receivers. During the course of thinking this through, I began wondering about the effect of have one component in the mix that is at a higher level than the others.

For the most part, I have components that are mid-level products. They aren't high end, but now low end either. If I would add, for example, a high end DVD player, I wouldn't get much benefit, due to the lack of the other components ability to reproduce what the DVD player would send. I assume the same would be true of the receiver. If I would upgrade to the RSX1055, Will it reveal the inadequacies of the other components? Would I start hearing things I don't want to hear simply due to the receivers abilities compared to the source componenets and/or speakers?

The next improvement in my HT will be the TV and so the rest of the componenets are further down the road. In the pursuit of better entertainment, I don't want to unintentionally cause a step backwards. As exisiting owners, have you experienced this?

Mike
    Mike
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

To a degree you are correct...in a way ignorance is bliss and the better your components are the more revealing they'll become meaning that poor recordings will be revealed for what they are. Now that doesn't mean you shouldn't upgrade components when given the chance just that it makes the most sense to always upgrade the weakest link in the chain if you want to improve the over all system strenght. Now that doesn't have to mean that you always do it in a logical order since being flexible and looking for oppertunites might mean you can jump on a great deal on a new CD player even though your speakers really should be upgraded first if the deal on the CD player is that good jump on it. No matter what gear you own there will always be a weak link somewhere that ends up holding the system back...and in many cases its the least thought of component ....i.e. your room and or you. I've heard great speakers sound horrible in bad rooms and budget speaker sounds fantastic when set up properly so sometimes its not as clear cut as it might seem.

Comment

• stjoenewt
      • Jul 2003

Thanks Andrew.

I would think the receiver would be where you would want the most capability for the audio components. Since everything flows through it, any other upgrades would be limited by it's capabilites.

BTW, I noticed you have decided to get a 1098. Congrats. I'm jealous. :P

Mike
      Mike

Comment

• Danbry39
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Sep 2002

Unfortunately yes, but, to me, you're doing it the right way. I think any weaknesses in your system will reveal themselves to you as you become more familiar with your system. For instance, I, at one point, noticed my two channel CD sound wasn't quite doing it for me. I ended up buying a CD player that makes my system sing. The CD player I had been using was a weak link.

Or, as Andrew suggested, a deal might just slap you in the face. Both my Parasound amp and Denon DVD players are with me now because deals that I found irresistible came along. This is just being opportunistic. Not that both components didn't significantly improve my system, but the right opportunity made me adjust my time table.

Most of us can't afford to do it all at once, which means that our systems are always a work in progress.

You should be fine. You've started with a great receiver and, down the line, you'll have all the excitement of upgrading other parts of your system. Don't know what receiver you owned before, but you'll probably begin experiencing the sonic rewards right away. You now have the cornerstone piece around which you can make future choices, although there are different approaches to building a system - ie some would start with the speakers.

Keith
        Keith

Comment

• stjoenewt
          • Jul 2003

Danbry39

Thanks for your reply. It's always nice to hear other's viewpoints and experiences. The jury's still out, but right now I'm seriously leaning toward the 1055, even though it's more that I intended to spend. I still think the used route is where I'll end up, assuming the auditions go as I expect.

Mike
          Mike

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"