X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hal
    • Jul 2003

Rotel RSX-1055 / Denon DVD-2900 combo

If I use the analog outs for multichannel from the DVD-2900 to the Rotel will there be any bass management issues that I can't resolve?

Current system:
    Fronts = KEF 104/2 with Cube equalizer
    Rears = B&W 2002 bookshelf-size
    No sub for now

If I add a subwoofer will bass-doubling be a problem? Any other issues?
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Not if you have the latest firmware and do the BM hardware fix (or have Rotel do it for you)

Comment

• med
      • Jul 2003

I'm going to have the same combo very soon. What's the version on the latest firmware?

If I buy a 1055 next week, will it already be updated, or does that depend on the dealer?

Also, just to confirm, the settings for the 7.1 inputs remain independent from the rest of the inputs, right?

I'm also assuming that it stays analogue from the input to the amp, is this correct?

Thanks,

Matt

Comment

• Danbry39
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Sep 2002

Generally, the answer would be yes, but it depends on the actual date of manufacture. I'm sure you don't want one that's been sitting on a shelf in some warehouse for 4 months. You might give your dealer a call and express your concerns and have him find out for you. Or, when the unit arrives, you could probably open it up right there and find out which version of firmware is installed firsthand. However, I would still call the dealer now, just so that he is clear that you want a 1055 with the latest firmware. How to do this and a complete listing of firmwares is in the FAQ's of Club Rotel.

Keith
        Keith

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Even if you get a brand new model with that latest firmware it will still require the bass management fix if you want to have a true analog input on the multi channel inputs.

Comment

• med
            • Jul 2003

Is the BM fix something that the dealer can do in house before it arrives at my place? I'm almost positive my dealer douse all servicing and repairs in-house. It is possible that they may have already performed it. I guess the best idea is to just talk to my dealer about it. I want to try and minimize trips back and forth to get fixes and updates. Eventually I'm going to pick up the upgrade cable, but it would be nice to bring it home up to date the first time.

Can't wait to get the unit in my house. I'll be very glad to finally rid myself of my P.O.S Technics receiver. It just doesn't cut it, and is by far the weakest link in my system, sitting in between my 2900 and my Paradigm Studio 40s.

Comment

• Danbry39
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Sep 2002

Oh yeah, there might be a little difference between your Technics and your Rotel.

Keith
              Keith

Comment

• med
                • Jul 2003

Better be. It costs 10 times as much

I have faith. I seriously doubt my system could sound any worse than it does now. When I demoed the speakers it was with a NAD T762, and they sounded amazing. From what I understand the NAD unit and the 1055 are pretty close to on the same level, but if I buy the rotel become a part of a kick-ass trade-up program, which I definately plan on taking advantage of. It looks way better, too...

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Providing your dealer has a screw driver and a pair of needlenose pliers he shoudn't have a problem doing to BM fix He likely wont' have a clue what you're talking about though so you may want to print of the threads here on how to go about doing it (I'm serious)

Comment

• med
                    • Jul 2003

Ohhhhhhh. I thought the BM fix was an official Rotel thing, not a DIY thing. I guess the better route would be to get them to do it, as I'd assume that it would void the warrantee if I did it.

Thanks!

Matt

Comment

• Danbry39
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Sep 2002

It doesn't void the warranty if you do it yourself, so long as you don't damage the receiver in other ways while doing so. In other words, you snip the wrong things and, yes, Rotel is not going to fix the unit for free. If you snip the resistors as prescribed, Rotel apparently has no problem with it. As long as you don't have the unit yet anyway, you might ask your dealer to request that Rotel perform the fix, plus make sure your receiver has the latest firmware before shipping. If it's already in transit or something, this might cause a delay before you get the actual unit, but, all things considered, it might be worth it.

Keith
                      Keith

Comment

• med
                        • Jul 2003

I havn't put in an order yet or anything. I'm going to go in tomorrow and discuss it with him, and see if I can get the ball rolling on aquiring a fixed unit. Hopefully the process won't take too long.

Thanks again,

Matt

Comment

• Danbry39
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Sep 2002

Let us know how it turns out. I'd be curious if Rotel had any objections to doing it this way. I'm sure a lot, if not most, would like the fix done. It seems to make little sense to make someone buy it, then send it all the way back for the fix, when they can avoid having to do so by having the fix done before shipment, at the customer's request of course.

Keith
                          Keith

Comment

• med
                            • Jul 2003

Can do... I'm definately going into my dealer to talk business tomorrow, and will let you know what his stand is as soon as I get back. Thanks for your help. Cheers,

Matt

Comment

• med
                              • Jul 2003

I talked to my dealer today, and he said that he is fully aware of the BM issue, and performs it on any new units (if the buyer requests it). He said the firmware will be up to date too.

I put it an order, and it should arrive sometime next week

Can't wait

Comment

• Danbry39
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Sep 2002

Way cool Med. Sounds like you have a keeper for a dealer. I'm excited for you.

Keith
                                Keith

Comment

• hal
                                  • Jul 2003

Is the BM fix for the 1055 identical to the one you've posted for the 1066? Could you provide the link to the instructions for the "fix"? Sounds like Rotel is only snipping the resistors rather than providing a back panel switch to allow the unit to return to spec if desired. Can you think of any downside to the more permanent fix?

Comment

• Jeff Hartford
                                    • Jul 2003

I was just over in the AVS forum and got spooked hearing about all the BM woes people are having. I was planning on pulling the trigger on the 2900 myself. I have the RSP-985 with full sized biamped NHT speakers (VT-2.4's) up front with VS-2.4 surrounds and center. No sub woofer. Will I have a BM problem with the 2900 using the analog outs through a 6RCA to DB 25 connect into the straight analog channel on the Rotel? Is it only a problem if you have a sub? Can the Rotel handle the adjustments/BM for individual speakers. Just got the Rotel unit and know essentially jack about it. Appreciate your expertise.

Jeff

Comment

• Bill Blank
                                      • Sep 2002

1) As has been said, provided you perform the BM mod and have the latest software you will not have a problem between your Rotel and the Denon 2900.

2) Rotel DOES perform the BM mod for free, I just got my 1066 back from them Friday.

3) The BM problem with the Denon 2900 seems to be the LFE output. It is 10dB lower for SACD and DVD-A than the other 5 channels. THIS IS NOT A PROBLEM for Rotel owners since we can independently boost the analog MULTI-INPUT SUB LEVEL by that same amount...if desired.

There's been much confusion over at AVSForum on what the level of the test discs are, as some suggest Telarc boosts thier LFE level. What we need are perfect, well-explained SACD and DVD-AUDIO test discs.

After getting the fix done on my Rotel 1066, I found the bass to be much too high if I boosted the MULTI-INPUT's SUB LEVEL by 10dB. So I did the non-audiophile thing and just used my ears...imagine that!!

Good Luck!
                                      Bill

Rotel RSP-1066
                                      Rotel RMB-1075
                                      Rega Planet 2000
                                      Denon DVD-2900
                                      Mitsubishi WS-55411
                                      Paradigm Reference Studio 100 v3
                                      Paradigm Reference Studio CC-470 v3
                                      Paradigm Reference Studio 20 v3
                                      Velodyne CT-120

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Aug 2000

So I did the non-audiophile thing and just used my ears...imagine that!!
                                        Bad Bill :smackbutt: hehehe

Comment

• Jeff Hartford
                                          • Jul 2003

Bill-

My 985 is a couple generations old. The only firmwarm they had was a chip replacement they courteously did at no charge even though I am the second owner. (DIY) It sounds like in retrospect you may not have needed the mod as your bass is now thundering? I am not sure they have software for the 985 or it can be tuned up that way. (It is sort of ancient by todays standards. But I will call Rotel). Short of any modification, if I don't use a subwoofer (channel .1) Will I have anything to worry about? Thanks

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"