X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Orange Peel
    • Nov 2004

Wow, this thread took off

I do plan to start some DVD-A listening, but like Dan said, I really haven't found a band I like yet on them I don't care for Metallica anymore, way played out for my tastes, don't like the Eagles too much, I've heard some Diana Krall, but haven't bought it. I wish some of my favorites were on there, I did see a Queen DVD-A disk which I would invest in, just the vast majority of my favorite music isn't there. There seems to be more SACD's with my bands though, well, at least in the store I went to.

I would LOVE to have a new DVD player, I feel the 1600 is good for video, but the loading is a little slow for my tastes, etc. I have heard that the 3910 is almost the same as the 5900 is? I would die for the 5910, but the cost of one is INSANE!!!! I can get Denon at my cost for my business, and some of the costs for these players are still pretty high. I will weigh the options, maybe pick one up and try it, sell it if I don't like it, etc.

I will see if I can hear some differences with the toslink to coax, if I do, bonus, if not, no biggie, it's free to swap my cables around

I have noticed that a lot of the newer music or popular artists haven't gone the DVD-audio route, but they do like the live DVD stuff though, just a dobly digital disk though.

I appreciate all the opinions, it really makes for a lot of hard thinking and fun things to try out.

I should also add, I don't think regular CD's are that bad sounding, are they really that crappy? Maybe it's the speakers or other things that make people think they suck or something
    Scott Goldsmith

Comment

• Martinf
      • Oct 2003

You should try at least a couple of the one's I mentioned, if you haven't yet heard them. I particularly recommend "In Absentia". The hi-rez surround mix will blow your socks off.

ELP's "Brain Salad Surgery" is also stunning. And if you want to hear how low your sub will go, then the last track -- "Lucky Man" will make your jaw drop.

And if you never really listened to classical music before, then I guarantee that the Naxos "Four Seasons" DVD-Audio will put a smile on your face when you hear it. And it's incredible value for money.

By the way, the DVD-3910 (as incorrectly stated in the story I linked to) is NOT a replacement of the DVD-5900. Rather, it's a replacement of the cheaper DVD-2900.

The DVD-5900 has better build quality, DACs, and internal analog componentry (incl. internal power supplies) than the DVD-3910.
      I'll be back!

Comment

• will1066
        • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Martinf
        I get all my music online anyway -- CDs, DVD-Vs, DVD-As etc.

Whatever happens in stores is of no concern to me.
        What does that mean? You're the one not making sense. I'm sure you got my point but you're avoiding it.

By the way, despite the critics' best efforts to deride it, DualDiscs ARE selling in stores in the CD aisles, (e.g. Simple Plan's album went platinum) and the DualDisc has DVD-Audio on the DVD side. Also, I recently received the DVD-Audio/DualDiscs by Nine-Inch-Nails and Blondie. Both are selling in the CD aisles of record stores.
        So, with this argument, what happened to "what happens in stores is of no concern to me?" Anyway, Simple Plan OBVIOUSLY didn't become platinum because of DualDisc. Yes, DualDisc promoters are trying to use popular albums for its launch. The labels used popular classic rock titles when they introduced DVD-A. So what, then? Let's see if the public swallows this format. They're sure coming at us fast and furious with new formats.

And even if "DualDisc" does not work out in the longrun, then the inclusion of a CD+DVDA in one CD box -- i.e. "Dual Discs" -- is happening anyway. Take, for example, R.E.M's entire back-catalog on Warner. Coming to us in early 2005.
        There's a lot of CD + DVD-V, but CD + DVD-A? Even if they're doing this, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. It sounds like a way to artificially boost DVD-A sales numbers. What are the chances of people playing the DVD-A from these single packs? For the majority of people, we'll be lucky if the Dolby Digital layer in the DVD-A gets played.

Comment

• Martinf
          • Oct 2003

>> What are the chances of people playing the DVD-A from these single packs? For the majority of people, we'll be lucky if the Dolby Digital layer in the DVD-A gets played. <<

When people move up to HD-DVDs, then ALL players will play the MLP DVD-A content. Besides, many DVD players today have DVD-A capability -- most Pioneers do, most Denons do, most Panasonics do; Toshibas etc. etc. And Rotel of course!!

The labels have done their sums. They know how many DVD-A capable machines are out there. And they are increasing. By more than you think.
          Last edited by Martinf; 17 December 2004, 17:37 Friday.
          I'll be back!

Comment

• will1066
            • Aug 2003

Scott, CDs don't sound bad. It's the crap recording engineers put in there (like recording "hot" [higher treble] to make things sound better at lower levels and not using all the dynamic range available) that makes it sound so.

Edit: I should add that the above applies to most rock and popular recordings. Other genres like classical and jazz are typically better, but of course, popular music has the largest demographic.
            Last edited by will1066; 17 December 2004, 15:28 Friday.

Comment

• Orange Peel
              • Nov 2004

Thanks Will and Martin! Are these DVD-A disk recorded flat or just recorded correctly? I do notice a difference from CD to CD, stupid I agree, I just wish there was a larger selection locally to find for DVD-A, especially at the used locations, that's where you can get good deals!
              Scott Goldsmith

Comment

• DrJRapp
                Super Senior Member
                • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Orange Peel
                Wow, this thread took off

I should also add, I don't think regular CD's are that bad sounding, are they really that crappy? Maybe it's the speakers or other things that make people think they suck or something
                If that is the case, you will be thrilled when the 1098 arrives. The implimentation of PLIIx Music really makes a plain old 2 channel CD's soundstage much larger. That's one of my favorite features in the 1098.
                Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• DrJRapp
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Martinf
                  By the way, the DVD-3910 (as incorrectly stated in the story I linked to) is NOT a replacement of the DVD-5900. Rather, it's a replacement of the cheaper DVD-2900.

The DVD-5900 has better build quality, DACs, and internal analog componentry (incl. internal power supplies) than the DVD-3910.
                  I don't know where you got that information, but if you go check it out it is incorrect. 1st the 2910 replaces the 2900 and performs better than the 2900. Secondly, the 3910 fills an new niche. It's internal audio design is identical to the 5900. The video is similar to the 5900 but with less macroblocking, has a sharper picture and HDMI. As to build quality, that could be the subject of some debate. Yes, it is smaller and a bit lighter, but those two elements alone don't determine build quality. Denon is using a high efficiency power transformer designed and built by a company in China we all know very well!
                  Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• PewterTA
                    • Nov 2004

The Pioneer Elite that Scott has does do PLII-Music (I believe) and my Yamaha did PLII-Movie, Music, Game, and I agree it is pretty darn good.

The one thing, and maybe I'm old-fashioned in this sense, but I'm still a fan of two channel music (when the albums were recorded this way) listened with two channels. The PLII is great on some things, others, I don't like it on. I (at times) love listening to Dave Matthew's Band Cds with PLII, but if I'm really sitting down and listening to the music, I think there isn't as good of a seperation of instruments and the soundstage is somewhat blurred. Now this could be because of my Yammie and the Rotel will do a far better job (lets just say I'm hoping so since I pick mine up tomorrow morning). One "band" I really liked with PLII-Music is Liquid Tension Experiment (1 & 2). This might be one of the best recorded CDs I've heard (for only being a four person band)...that and the whole idea that the CD was thought up, rehearsed, recorded, and printed in one week is really cool. If you like Progressive Rock/Hard Rock/Metal it's two great CDs to listen to. It's not the absolute best recording, because you can hear some of the limitations of the recording equipment used in a few points, but it still stands out, I'd love to hear it as a DVD-A disc...would be absolutely phenominal.

Which is another reason I can't wait to go to either B&W 804s or 802s (most likely looking towards 802s now) for my mains and really listen to what music can really sound like.

Scott, has the waiting killed you yet, it's killing me!!! ha ha.
                    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                    -Dan

Comment

• Orange Peel
                      • Nov 2004

Jerry - thanks for the high hopes, this 1098 better be worth the fat cash it demands I thought the 3910 was similar to the 5900 but wasn't for sure, sounds like you know about that though I can get the 3910 but it's still pricey, and not sure if it would make ANY bit of a difference over my 1600 that I could justify the cost. Now the Rotel over my Elite should net a big difference, so that's worth it to me, if not, off to the flea market it goes

Dan - My Elite does PLII Movie and Music, and I never really liked it until I got the Rotel, now it sounds awesome in PLII Music. I still like 2 channel as well, but I guess PLIIx is even better than PLII, so we'll both see. And HELL YEAH this wait is killing me, the damn Rotel should have been here already, I will call and see where it is
                      Scott Goldsmith

Comment

• PewterTA
                        • Nov 2004

Ah okay... See my yammie is PLIIx not PLII... hee hee.
                        -Dan

Comment

• DrJRapp
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Apr 2003

I thought the 3910 was similar to the 5900 but wasn't for sure, sounds like you know about that
                          I've been studying the 3910 very closely for potential purchase when I get my PJ setup next spring. I've decided to wait and see what shows up in January. The Marantz DV9500 should be hitting the streets soon...it looks promising, but at $1400 street even more pricy than the 3910...but far less than the 5910 is projected to be. It has impressive specs, universal player, separate analog audio, video and digital transformers, copper plated chassis to minimize interference, very high end phillips designed cirrus built DACs all around.We shall see. For the time being I'll keep using my Samsung HD841. For all it's supposid faults it does a damn great job in my system. The analog audio from SACDs is superb due to some really great (phillips/cirrus)DACs. I just feel guilty about using a $200 DVD Player to feed source material to the $15K worth of audio and video playback gear I have!
                          Last edited by DrJRapp; 17 December 2004, 16:22 Friday.
                          Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• Orange Peel
                            • Nov 2004

Dan - I called Eric and my crap is on it's way, and should be here by Wed. What sucks is that I sold the Elite and the buyer is coming Sunday to get it, I won't have a pre-pro for those 3 days, what crap!

Jerry - Good to know, I would like to get an overall bad ass player but not spend a fortune on one, we'll see what CES shows us
                            Scott Goldsmith

Comment

• DrJRapp
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Apr 2003

Yes, I understand from people over at AVS Forum that the DV9500 is now the hottest item in Hong Kong after a Chinese equivalent to Home Theater Magazine did a shootout with the Onkyo 1000, the Denon 3910 and 5900 and an Arcam. They say that the 9500 is now the King of under $2K universal players. The audio quality is supposidly better than any Denon or Onkyo (including the Integra version)and just a bit shy of the Arcam which is much pricier. It's PQ is supposidly the sharpest and most film like of the bunch (even over HDMI) with no black/white crushes or macroblocks.
                              Last edited by DrJRapp; 17 December 2004, 16:41 Friday.
                              Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• PewterTA
                                • Nov 2004

Dan - I called Eric and my crap is on it's way, and should be here by Wed. What sucks is that I sold the Elite and the buyer is coming Sunday to get it, I won't have a pre-pro for those 3 days, what crap!
                                Well that's good that it's all on the way!!!! Sucks that you will be without anything for three days...

I'm planning on listening to my Yammie with ROTK: EE and watch about 10 - 20 minutes of it, then hook the Rotel up and listen to it (get it all configured before hand). Hopefully, that way I'll pretty much be able to instantly tell the difference between the two.

Maybe you should try (before the Elite) is gone, to really watch a movie and try to memorize --as best you can-- a passage of about 5 minutes (watch it repeatedly until you've got it memorized... then you should have a good idea how the Elite sounds compared to the 1098!
                                -Dan

Comment

• Martinf
                                  • Oct 2003

I thought the 3910 was similar to the 5900 but wasn't for sure, sounds like you know about that though I can get the 3910 but it's still pricey, and not sure if it would make ANY bit of a difference over my 1600 that I could justify the cost
                                  Note: While The -3910 is good, it is NOT as good as the -5900, particularly for audio. Also, the -5900 (like the -5910) has separate analog audio, video and digital transformers, copper plated chassis to minimize interference, etc.

Just bear that in mind. :wink:
                                  I'll be back!

Comment

• Orange Peel
                                    • Nov 2004

Dan - I was planning on having the 1098 before the sale of the Elite, but no go Let me know what you think, I will do the same as you, watch a movie, even though there are a ton that I have memorized already

Martin - I will keep that in mind, maybe with the 5910 coming out the 5900 will be a little more affordable, or I will see what new players are coming out like the Marantz, etc. All I know is that these higher end components are killing my wallet and my mental health!!
                                    Scott Goldsmith

Comment

• SpOoNmAn
                                      • Sep 2003

Blaze - Thanks for the compliments!

egaither - Thanks, I didn't get a chance to dust the equipment before he came over, and I didn't think there was that much dust on the stuff That camera really shows off the finer things

Spoonman - I am using the Elite as a Pre-pro, and I'm one step ahead of you, my Rotel RSP 1098 should have been here already, looks like next week it will show up, then the Elite is sold and I recoupe some of the cost. Thanks for the compliments!

Soundhound - Thanks dude!
                                      Excellent :T

And you have an Xbox, Excellent x 2 :P

Theatre Photo Album (A work in Progress)
                                      GameTracker -My List-
                                      Life is short, Play it LOUD!

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"