X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Orange Peel
    • Nov 2004

Rotel RSP 1098 vs B&K Ref 50

Anyone have any comments on this comparison? I can get the Ref 50 through my business, but really like the looks of the 1098, plus a matching processor for my 1095 would be better looking Any info you can provide would be awesome!

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Orange Peel; 04 December 2004, 11:49 Saturday.
    Scott Goldsmith
  • shadow
    • Dec 2003

I do not care for the display on the Rotel but I assume I am in the minority here. I really like the three notch filters on the B&K since they can really clean up a problematic room.

Comment

• Spookyslow
      • Oct 2004

Orange,

I'm comparing the 2 myself. The Ref 50 wasn't even in the running but they just released Series 2 stuff that upconverts to component. Which IMO, was the biggest shortcoming of the 50.

Based on what I've seen and heard, I'm really leaning toward the 1098, but the Series 2 release has brought it back into consideration.

Has anyone out there A/B the 2 processors?

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Shadow what don't you like about the display on the 1098? Once the new firmware is released its far less intrusive.

Comment

• Orange Peel
          • Nov 2004

Thanks for the info guys. The Ref 50 would be the series 2, so I guess it's a decent processor now? I LOVE the display on the Rotel, that's the ONLY thing keeping me away from the Ref 50, since I get the Ref 50 at a great price, the Rotel is PRICEY! I don't run my components through the processor, just straight to the TV from the source. What would be the benefit of running it through the processor?
          Scott Goldsmith

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

What would be the benefit of running it through the processor?
            Convienience of never having to change inputs on the display no matter what source you're watching. I've not noticed any image quality issues doing that and it makes the system use much easier.

Comment

• Orange Peel
              • Nov 2004

So if you run it from the dvd player, to the processor/receiver then to the tv, when you turn on the dvd player and play a movie it will pick the input on the tv for you? If so that would be IDEAL, but costly, having to buy another 3 or so sets of good component cables and run them, what a wire nightmare!!
              Scott Goldsmith

Comment

• Cowanrg
                • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Orange Peel
                So if you run it from the dvd player, to the processor/receiver then to the tv, when you turn on the dvd player and play a movie it will pick the input on the tv for you?
                are you sure you are a B&K dealer? this is a basic question, and i dont think you are still getting it?

it just acts like a big switcher. everything (video and audio) goes into it. then you have a single component output to the tv. then you always use 1 input on the tv (lets just say video1). you leave your tv on video1 all the time, and when you select the input on the B&K, it switches the audio source along with the video source.

i too am going between these two pieces. i think i might have decided on the B&K for the notch filters and balanced operation, and remote control. however, i love the 1098's screen, dual sub outs (this is important if you have dual subs and huge sub cables), the ease of use, and build quality (not that the B&K is poorly built, but its a lot lighter and now as overbuilt.

BUT, as Orange Peel said, he can get the B&K much cheaper. this is the same with me, i can get the B&K for about $600 cheaper than the rotel. so if its too close to call, might as well save the $600 (which is the difference at retail too).

Comment

• Orange Peel
                  • Nov 2004

Yeah I am a dealer, I just never used video switching, I didn't want to have any chance of losing picture quality, or the cost of buying more cables, etc. What would you do for a 1080i signal when your TV has a seperate input for that? You can't run it all into that one port. I have just used my remote to switch inputs automatically (macros) so it's not a HUGE deal for me, but for some people that don't like to use macros or use the input device selector on the TV might like this. I just don't like to make that signal that much longer running it through another source like a receiver/processor, "A" to "B" has less chance of signal quality loss that "A" to "B" to "C", etc.

The cost difference is huge for me, so that's why I am leaning toward the B&K for the savings, but damn that Rotel is pretty
                  Scott Goldsmith

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

I'd still use the processor as a switch but you can also run a direct cable to the 1080i input (is it HDMI or why is it seperate from the rest?). Also rememeber that since these units upconvert composite and s-video to component you won't also have to switch when someone selects the VCR or Sat dish that aren't component inputs which is very handy and worth it in that regard alone.

Comment

• Orange Peel
                      • Nov 2004

Andrew - My Mistubishi has a built in tuner, so they have a seperate input (DTV) for 1080i signals, etc. Then I have the regular video 1, 2, component, 1, 2, etc. The manual said not to run regular signals (DVD player component cables, etc) through the DTV input, so this is where I would have issues. The upconverting would be cool, and the ability to not have to switch inputs, but are the processors video components as good as a DVD players? I'm sure a high dollar DVD player, say Denon 3910 have better video internals than the Rotel RSP 1098.

That's my only issue with not going through the receivers, I like the direct shot from source to display. I may give it shot with my setup to see if I can tell any picture issues just for giggles.

I'm sure I will still get the Rotel 1098, I like matching components if possible, and that Rotel seems to be a great choice!
                      Scott Goldsmith

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

The upconverting would be cool, and the ability to not have to switch inputs, but are the processors video components as good as a DVD players? I'm sure a high dollar DVD player, say Denon 3910 have better video internals than the Rotel RSP 1098.
                        The Rotel doesn't process anything for component inputs it simple redirects the incoming video streams to the component monitor outputs so I'm not sure what you mean about a DVD player having better video internals. The only processing the Rotel does is to upconvert composite or s-video to component as a convienience to you though it will also send an unconverted signal to the corresponding monitor output (composite or s-video) if that matters to you.

The video bandwidth on the newer units is easily high enough to pass HD material without distortion so the signal coming out should be exceptionally close to what went into the Rotel...though to be fair any connection will casue some minor quality loss but you'll likely never notice (I don't with my sources on my projector)

Comment

• Spookyslow
                          • Oct 2004

I feel badly that I've got the thread away from the your original intent....I just spent about 2 hours auditioning the 1098/1075 and wow was I impressed. I was really considering the 1095/98 combo until today. Now I'm thinking the 1075 is enough (until I get it home and come down with upgraditis).

Can anyone provide any glowing recommendation for B&K? If not, I'm thoroughly convinced in favor of Rotel.

Comment

• shadow
                            • Dec 2003

Well is great gear. Its rather unfair to listen to one and decide to buy that without listening to the B&K. I personally prefer the refence amps and I like the fact that you can get a seven channel amp from B&K while none is available from Rotel. I also like the remote much better on the B&K. That said, both companies are near the top of the industry in product quality so I cannot imagine you would be unhappy with either one.

Comment

• Orange Peel
                              • Nov 2004

Andrew - I was under the impression that the receiver/processor had to process the signal from the dvd player, then send that to the TV, so I was thinking the processor would send a worse picture to the TV than if you went right to the TV from the dvd player. Make sense? If the processor has NO play in the signal then I would see no problem going through it then. Thanks for clearing things up for me Andrew!! I will give it a shot, I run component for EVERYTHING, so there would be no upconverting anything.

Spooky - Don't feel bad, any additional info is great, you learn something new everyday. I would like to audition both processors, and I may just do that. I can always sell one or the other

Shadow - thanks for the info, I think the same thing, both are great processors, just want the better of the two if that's possible The screen on the 1098 makes me want it more, but we'll see.
                              Scott Goldsmith

Comment

• Locutus2k
                                • May 2004

Originally posted by Andrew Pratt
                                The video bandwidth on the newer units is easily high enough to pass HD material without distortion so the signal coming out should be exceptionally close to what went into the Rotel...
                                What do you mean with "newer units"? Is my (almost) 2 years old 1098 not so good with HD material?
                                Thx,

Locutus2k

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"