X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sweetsoulsounds
    • Apr 2003

Mono? Can't get stereo for CD playback

Hi,

When listening to CD's, I can't get standard stereo playback, it seems to be in mono. :cry:

Another weird thing, when I go to the OSD and get to the audio calibration section, I am not getiing the pink noise to come through my front right speaker. But this speaker does work during normal playback.

Any ideas??? Oh, this is for my 1066 btw.

Thanks
  • Danbry39
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2002

Well, one things for sure, it isn't the connection between your preamp > amp > speakers or else you wouldn't be hearing the pink noise in your right front speaker.

With that eliminated, I'd check out how you have your CD player connected to the Rotel 1066. Make sure both analog cables are securely attached. If you play CD's through a DVD player, does the right channel play during DVD's? If it is a separate CD player, I'd feel that either the connect isn't securely attached or that there is something wrong with the right channel connection port on the Rotel itself, which would mean a repair.

Anyone else???

Keith
    Keith

Comment

• sweetsoulsounds
      • Apr 2003

To clarify,

I am NOT getting pink noise to come through my right front speaker. Pink noise does come through correctly with all my other speakers.

I do get audio from both DVD and CD to play through this speaker.

The problem is with CD playback. The audio output seems to be in MONO, not stereo.

I have tried this with 2 different DVD players with the same results.

Comment

• Danbry39
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Sep 2002

Sorry for the misunderstanding sweetsoulsounds. I'm sure you tried different CD's, so I'm baffled.

Has anyone else experienced this problem with their 1066? I'm getting afraid that something might be faulty with sweetsoulsound's 1066, which always is upsetting.

Keith
        Keith

Comment

• Azeke
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2003

Just a quick thought, check your DVD settings, it could be related to bitstreams, pcm, autodetect, etc.

Hope this helps,

Azeke

Comment

• sweetsoulsounds
            • Apr 2003

Interesting idea. I have not check this.

How would PCM vs. bitstream affect the sound of CD playback?

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

this is a strange one. You could try some of the DSP modes to make sure its not something there. Since you aren't getting pink noise I'm worried it might be the 1066 that's the problem...I guess you could swap the left and right interconnects to the amps to make sure that the problem doesn't remain on with that one speaker...if it did check the amp or speaker but since you say you get sound from CD's I doubt this is the problem.

Comment

• Azeke
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2003

It's basically digital vs. analog signals. Check you DVD manual (even the trouble-shooting guide) and see if there is an autodetect mode (just shooting in the dark here, but you never know :roll: ). One other idea is to connect the analog inputs of your DVD player to the CD input of the Rotel.

What kind of DVD player(s) do you have and how is it connected to the 1066 (optical, cable)? Are this regular CD's or MP3's, CDR's etc. This may help other members in the forum troubleshoot your issue.

Good Luck,

Azeke

Comment

• sweetsoulsounds
                  • Apr 2003

I am using (as demos) both the Denon 2900 and Philips 963A.

Connections are via digital optical out and a 6 chanel RCA for analog. I am using standard CD's for playback.

I think at first I tried connecting standard RCA's from the DVD players audio out to the 1066 CD input. I'll try this again.

The good news is that the 1066 I have now is the dealer's unit. My new 1066 is on backorder.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"