X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MarcE
    • Jun 2007

Something different: Mono speaker recommendation

I'm in the process of building a dedicated mono playback system and I'm looking for a speaker project to complete the DIY effort.

I was wondering if there were any recommendations that would be in the spirit of this project. Something like a Lowther TP1 corner loaded speaker perhaps. I am not old enough to remember this era, so I'm soliciting help I've never done a TL, OB, or any of these topologies so they are extra tempting! I also like to do something that is relatively high efficiency. I suppose a "center channel" speaker would work, but just doesn't feel right I most likely will be stuck with a smallish room (15'x15' maybe a bit larger, I have to measure again) that already will have 2 pairs of speakers in it ... heh. The TP1 concept was interesting as I could have it fire across the diagonal of the room and just move one of the speakers away when enjoying the mono rig,

FWIW, the rest of the system will be a DIY Lenco-like idler with an Ortofon SPU Type-A mono cartridge into some sort of tube goodness.
  • cjd
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Dec 2004

Any good speaker design will work fine in mono. A "center" speaker is a topology difference really, and not any more or less suited to mono use than any other speaker.

The biggest potential problem here is if your amp can't handle the more dynamic impedance load some of the designs around here have. I've done a series crossover variation on my MTM (posted in the thread here, not on my site) with fairly benign impedance, and I can tell you these sound very good in mono but I'm still not sure what it is you're really after.

It sounds more like you want some esoteric 'audiophile' experience from this speaker.
    diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Jonasz
      • Nov 2004

Maybe one of Dan's omnidesigns would work good in mono?

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"