X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • leeda2
    • May 2003

Which Configuration

Sorry if this is a bit redundant. I'm debating between the following three receiver setups...

1) 1055
    2) 1065
    3) 1066/1075

My dilemma is that I cannot seem to rationalize in my mind the cost versus benefit. I realize that the "best" sound for most applications will come from the 1066/1075 combo, but it's also the most expensive (especially if you have to buy a separate tuner).

My primary use will be for HT, but occasionally will listen to 2-ch and Multi-Ch (70-20-10). I will be powering B&W 601s all around for a 5.1 setup.

I've heard a few things that cause me to waver... the processing side of things is the same between the 1055 and 1066, and the power in the 1065 will be more similar to the 1075. Also, I've read a few posts that mention the power supply in the 1055 is sub-par by Rotel standards. Lastly, for the price of a 1065, it's only a few hundred dollars to move up to a 1066/1075 combo, but that's without a tuner (which is something i'd like to have included).

Any thoughts? Is there any merit to the points I mentioned above or am I being to naive? I'm sure there are others of you that have gone through the same decision process. What was the deciding factor?

Finally, my budget can handle any of the combinations, but I'd like to not "overspend" for my needs if I do not need to. This is my first foray into higher-end audio. Prior to this I was listening to a Denon 1802 powering Energy Take 5.1 speakers. Consider my point of reference when responding.

Thanks for taking the time to assist me!
  • Danbry39
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2002

Many would recommend the 1055 receiver plus the power amp, as I'm sure you've read. Many people such as Andrew can't discern an audible difference when using the 1055 as the pre or the 1066. As far as the amps, outboard amps of equal quality are expected to sound better than internal amps built into a receiver.

So, if you went to the 1055/1075 combo, the cost would be a couple of hundred less than the 1066/1075 right off the bat. Add into that that you'd be getting the tuner and be able to use the 1055 amps to drive your rears if you ever went to 6.1 or 7.1, then that's at least an attractive option.

Like everything though, you should audition for yourself. If they sound the same or very, very close to the same, I'd say the 1055/1075 option is a very worthy one.

Keith
    Keith

Comment

• Scarp
      • Mar 2003

With 601's, I would go for just the RSX1055 and no additional amp.
      The 601's arent very demanding on your amp and the power that the 1055 has is more than sufficient. It also sounds very good.

If you ever think about upgrading your front speakers, it could be worth while to upgrade with a stereo power amp.

So, just go with the 1055 and use the money you save for a good subwoofer to go with your 601's or something else.

btw... the rsx1055 is a great improvement over that denon

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

I agree with scarp. Get the 1055 for now then either upgrade the mains or add a nice 2 channel Rotel amp to power the mains with. There's a Rotel 1070 amp for sale here

Comment

• scottnv
          • Jun 2003

I disagree with the above members advise - go for the 1066/1075 combo.
          You will have more flexability in the future and will have the "best" choice of components. Nothing worse than purchasing something then looking back and thinking, yeh I saved a few hundred dollars but the other was what I really wanted.
          Like most things in life, buy the best you can afford and are comfortable with. It sounds like you can afford the 1066/1075 combo and all things being equal, it is your first choice, so just do it!
          Later down the road, you can buy the RB-1070 or RB-1080 amp for 7.1 and have more power (always a good thing) than with the 1055 in your system. And when a new format comes out (10.2, dolby prologic 3, whatever) you can just replace the processor - you will have the amps for a long time!
          Either choice will get you there and you won't be disappointed with any Rotel stuff, but if you are going to make the plunge, and can afford it, do it up right and don't look back.
          Heck if cost is the only object you could buy Outlaw audio stuff and still have a good system, but that's not Rotel and not what you really want - is it??
          Hope this helps.

Comment

• Scarp
            • Mar 2003

scottnv, the topic starter said he could afford each of the three options, but he also said he didn't want to overspend.
            So for his current speaker setup, the 1055 is sufficient. He can always add another amp (stereo or multi-channel) later. I don't know if radio is required, but thats already in the 1055 and not included in the 1066.
            Also, when it comes to sound, the 1055 isn't that far of from the 1066.

I'm also wondering what formats are on the horizon within 3 years, I think not much.

Comment

• scottnv
              • Jun 2003

I think that only he can decide for himself what level is "overspending" - that's why I said you can get a nice system for less than Rotel even. I think that if the price were exactly the same most everyone would choose the 1066/1075 combo over the 1055/1075 combo. If that was the case, there must be some reason most people would choose the former.
              I bet there are lots of stories of people that rationalized spending less because they got 95% of the same performance but always still thought about the more expensive alternative they turned down. If you have a system for a long time, the cost difference is minimal and long forgotten about six months down the road.
              If money is the primary concern, sure do it the least expensive way to get killer stuff - but his tone of the question sounds to me like he wants the 1066/1075.

Comment

• Scarp
                • Mar 2003

Actually, in Europe the RSX1055 is 2000 euro and the RSP1066 is 1650 euro. So here a RSP1066/1075 is cheaper than a 1055/1075 combo.

Comment

• Danbry39
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Sep 2002

I wish the 1066 was a few hundred cheaper here in North America too. :cry:

Keith
                  Keith

Comment

• Wilfred
                    • May 2003

I was going for the 1055 but ended up purchased the 1066/1075 with 602 and am happy. However, after finding this forum and read more into this, I believe 1055 first would be the way to go vs 1066/1075. Here're my reasons:

(all US$, MSRP)

PRO:
                    1) It's the least costly option ($1300) and perform at a level that would satisfy most, if not all, HT viewing (your 70%) pleasure. In US 1066 is $1500.

2) No seperate amp, 1075 in this case, another $1000. Which also means, no need for interconnects (5). Even @$20, that's another $100! For more critical requirements, you can do the math. Plus less cable mess.

3) Tuner (one of your requirement, $100? $200?). Another pair of interconnects, but any pair should do.

4) No additional shelves. The 1075 is quite tall (7.4 in/188 mm), not all shelves will fit. Shelves are NOT cheap, and I dare not to stack them (HOT!).

Total Savings = (1) $200 (2) $1000 + $100 (3) Tuner (4) Shelves, is at least $1500.

Say... 3 years down the road formats have changed, sell the 1055 (at 50%?) and buy another "1055" equivalent at that time. Still $850 ahead.

Decided to get better two channel? Use the $1500 for a better two channel amp. This will also prepare you for 7.1 configuration. Yes, add an additional shelf and a pair of interconnects. IMO, speaker upgrade would provide better improvement, but in HT terms - it means minimum 3 front speakers.... ouch!

Con:

If you are a purist, go seperate. But I find it hard to justisfy (hind sight) at least with the gears that I have.

Receiver will get rather warm (hot?), seperate IMO is a better solution.

Side note:
                    (still under examination) Initial reaction, I find the 1075 is not up to par on two channel for some in-efficient (low 80s) 4 ohms speakers.

My $0.02

PS: Andrew, with this frequency, these 1055/1066/1075 threads ought to be belong to the FAQ.

Comment

• leeda2
                      • May 2003

Thanks everyone for your responses... especially for the variety of responses.

I think Wilfred addressed every possible notion of hesitation I have had in my decision process. One thing I forgot to mention is that I have a space limitation in my stand. So going separates would require that I get another stand. My center channel (LCR60) will occupy the top shelf and the receiver and dvd player will have to occupy the lower shelf. I have a Grand Wega so I couldn't buy a much taller shelf.

I'm looking at this system as a long term system and am not too interested in upgrading anything... this has a lot to do with my fiance and her quest to squash any future spending on such "toys". Considering that my point of reference is a much lower-end system, it sounds like I will be satisfied with the 1055 receiver. If not, then I can always get another outboard amp (as noted multiple times on this message board) and biamp or just use the reciever amp to power the effect channels.

However, to complicate things more, I may opt to go with 602s for the front along with an LCR600 for the center which would mean that I may need the additional power that the 1065 could offer. If I go this route, though it's a small margin, I think the 1066/1075 combo puts me over budget.

Any thoughts on a direct comparison (cost/benefit) between the 1055 and 1065? Is the 1065 just as flexible with reassigning internal power amps to different channels?

As for the sub, I live in a medium sized loft so I'm going with the B&W ASW600. When I move to a bigger place, I may just purchase a 2nd sub. BTW, is there an issue with handling 2 subs for any of the Rotel combos that we've been discussing?

Thanks again for everyone's input! It really is nice to be able to rely on opinions of those that are not driven by making a commission.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

As for the sub, I live in a medium sized loft so I'm going with the B&W ASW600. When I move to a bigger place, I may just purchase a 2nd sub. BTW, is there an issue with handling 2 subs for any of the Rotel combos that we've been discussing?
                        For subs I'd recomend not going with the B&W....its not that its a bad sub but for the money you can do better with the likes of a product from SVS or Adire Audio. There's no problem from a technical stand point of adding a second subwoofer to any of these Rotels since they all have two Subwoofer jacks (though even if they didn't it wouldn't be a problem) The real issue though comes from getting the two subwoofers to integrate with each other properly. depending on where they're placed you might end up with them working against each other (in general terms). If you can stack them side by side they'll tend to couple and give you a nice boost in performance....but its usually cheaper to just buy a more capable sub upfront from SVS or Adire then have to buy two lesser subs from a more comerical manufacturer.

Comment

• ejfiii
                          • May 2003

Originally posted by leeda2
                          Any thoughts on a direct comparison (cost/benefit) between the 1055 and 1065? Is the 1065 just as flexible with reassigning internal power amps to different channels?
                          I went with a 1065 over a 1055 since the store didn't have a 1055 ins stock and they gave me a sick discount on the 1065 to keep my business. Unfortunately, only the 1055 offers the reassigning of outputs from front to center back. So I had to buy an additional small 2 channel amp for the center back speakers. I found a great little Parasound 600 on Audiogon for $200. It was a bargain and still kept me under the list price for the 1065, so it was a no brainer. I can't say if the internals on the 1065 are different than the 1055, I tend to think that only the more powerful amp section is, but I feel good having bought up now instead of wondering what the 1065 would be like once I got everything set up.

Regardless, your position is a good one to be in. I still float back and forth about the 1066 and a 5 channel Rotel, but thats $800 more than I paid for the 1065 and parasound amp. Plus, I can always add a 5 channel Rotel amp later and use the parasound for a second zone (I already have a big Acurus 2 channel amp powering the fronts). I think anyway you go you will be happy, as all options are a nice upgrade from your current setup. Me too as I upgraded from the built in speakers in my 32 inch Sony TV. I love my HT and it was money well spent to spend it once and spend it right.

E. J.

My HT
                          My HT

Comment

• gd
                            • Jan 2003

Sounds like from all considerations discussed, you should be pointed directly at the 1055... I second the suggestion to discriminate on the sub.

Just leave a little space for a possible additional power amp that can be quietly snuck by the fiance a couple years down the road... you know, when that little upgrade bug bites!

Til that happens, that 1055 + the B&Ws will stun and amaze.
                            greg (gd to you)
                            Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
                            production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• scottnv
                              • Jun 2003

ejfiii has the best advise I've heard -

SPEND IT ONCE AND SPEND IT RIGHT!!

Comment

• simonb68
                                • Jan 2003

I don't generally post with advice, I'm more of a lurker, as I'm still a bit of a novice with HT, but here goes. I have a 1055 and was driving B&W 602 S1s, this was a significant upgrade in sound quality from my previous system. My use is probably 50-50 HT and 2Ch, but my priority now in terms of upgrade is 2Ch. I found the 1055 drove the 602s fine, no lack of power as I could tell and plenty of bass. I don't have a sub and the rear speakers are boxed up at the moment due to lack of space, so the 1055 is not being loaded as much as it could, however if you are getting a sub and will be setting the 601s to small then I feel the 1055 would be fine. You gain the tuner, compactness and cost saving over the 1065 or 1066/1075.
                                I now have Dynaudio Contour 1.1 speakers for fronts which I have to say are a lovely sounding pair of speakers, and at 4ohms are quite demanding, and again the 1055 handles these well, perhaps losing a bit of control at higher volumes. I auditioned them with Audience 42 rears and 122 centre, and demoed the Pod Race from SW Ep1 at pretty high volumes and it sounded amazing, all difficult speakers to drive.
                                So my next step would possibly be a nice 2ch power amp, and leave the 1055 to drive the centre and rears which for HT I reckon is perfectly adequate unless you're a real HT audiophile.
                                So that would be my advice, if you don't intend to upgrade your speakers to anything much above the 601s go for the 1055, and then add 2ch or 5ch amp for music/multi channel if you think necessary. My only caveat to this would be that once you buy kit of this of quality and hear what it can produce the upgrade itch gets you, so I think you need to determine now whether you really don't intend to upgrade much further, if you think you might then go for the most flexible option which would be the 1066/10??. Finally although you say you will stick with 601/602s I would seriously recommend you audition some better speakers, these will be the limiting factor now, as I found, maybe spend the saving on 1055 on speakers.

Hope that helps some
                                Simon

Comment

• Energeezer
                                  • Sep 2002

My vote goes for the 1055/1075 combo. I've been usig it this way for 6 months and am happy. I'm confident that I have an extra five channels of amp if I need it and gasp if I ever want to sell I think the 1055 is easier due to its abilty to stand alone.
                                  I love my 2 channel and this works fine for that. However, ately i have been considering a LARGE upgrade to my CD player and guess what?
                                  Many of the higher end cdps have a volume control. Audio aero, Audio Research etc. In that case I will be able to eliminate the 1055 for 2 channel and STILL have the best of both worlds.
                                  Don't get me wrong here I have no complaints with the 1055 sound quality as a preamp but it's elimination from the chain (assuming a first class cd player) will only be better. IMO

The Future of HT lies in FP SPREAD THE WORD

Comment

• Barry Lieberman
                                    • Apr 2003

Well, I feel compelled to chime in on this one.

As an owner of the 1065, I would advise going for the larger receiver. Granted the 1066/1075 Combination may yield the most pleasing sonic result, yet the absense of a tuner, in conjunction with the rapidly aging 1066 makes the combination a second place finish in my book.

The 1065's amplifier section is essentially the same as the 1075, yet the 1065's amp has to share its power supply with the pre/pro portion. Consequently, sonic differences can be discerned at moderate to above moderate volumes between the 1055 and the 1065.

The 1065 really is a powerful performer and will mate well with any 600 series B&W. B&W even reccomends the 1065 when mated with any speaker from the Nautilus 804 on down.

Another thing to consider is that frequently, if you call up a Rotel dealer and tell him that you will walk in the door and give the store 1800$ in cash for a 1065, he'll probably do it.

Comment

• Mike Hayes
                                      • Mar 2003

If you are at all worried about being able to make future purchases, there is no way I could recommend that you settle for the 1055 alone. It is a fine receiver but in a direct audition verses either a 1055/1075 or 1066/1075, or the 1055 with a nice 2 channel amp, the 1055 will get stomped. You should go with the 1055 and the outboard amp now and be done with it. Since you need the tuner, I would probably go 1055/1075 since 80% of your time will be HT/multichannel. If you think your stereo listening may increase, the decision gets tougher as you may want additional wattage going to the front (the 1080 would be a nice choice if this were the case). If you did not need the tuner, I would recommend the 1066/1075 simply because it is the purist of the combos mentioned.

Comment

• Scarp
                                        • Mar 2003

Short overview (maybe nice for the faq?)
                                        1) General purpose + tuner: RSX-1055
                                        2) General purpose + improved HT + tuner: RSX-1055 + RMB1075
                                        3) General purpose + improved Stereo + tuner: RSX-1055 +
                                        RB1080/1090
                                        4) Best quality: RSP1066 + RMB1075/1095 ( + separate tuner).

If you have more demanding speakers, always go for the separate poweramp. Depending on your needs, take a multichannel amp and/or stereo amp.

Comment

• Mike Hayes
                                          • Mar 2003

I think that the question asked earlier on this thread about future speaker upgrades is a very good one. If you are going B&W, you need to remember that B&Ws love power - especially the CDM and Nautilus lines. Even the 602s and LCR600 are going to reward the additional power. I am using 601s as surrounds and they sound so much more open than when they were powered by a receiver. I attribute this to the amp as I noticed this even before I added a 1066. At first, I was using a 1075 with a Yamaha RXV1200 and the main thing that I noticed was the less boxey, more open sound.

If I were in your shoes, I would really be more worried about underspending as opposed to overspending. Spend as much as you possibly can now - you will not regret it. You cannot have too much power in my book.

Comment

• gd
                                            • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Mike Hayes
                                            I would really be more worried about underspending... You cannot have too much power in my book.
                                            Me too... hey, if it was me I'd go straight for the 1066 plus three RB1080's... and never worry about choosing speakers based solely on power or current requirements... but the original poster -- whatever happened to him, anyway? -- did state some real-world concerns to address: budget, space, tuner, fiance... and the 1055 is substantial enough to make those compromises easier to take.

As for the 1055's ability to to properly drive 601s or 602s specifically, I can't say... even right here in this thread there seem to be differing opinions on this... mostly in the interest of 'bang-for-the-buck' I'd still say 1055... but it begs the question: are the 601s a lock?... has there been a substantial search on the speaker end?... B&W is a fine manufacturer, but they're hardly the final word in loudspeakers... see what the Rotel retailer has in-store to mate with your chosen electronics... and audition, audition, audition.

Speakers are the more critical link in the chain, in any event.
                                            greg (gd to you)

Frank Zappa

Comment

• Mike Hayes
                                              • Mar 2003

It sounds like the fiance might be the biggest worry at this point - the original poster makes it sound like this might be it. For that reason, I am being kinda adamant about getting an amp now. Hopefully, it's not too obnoxious or presumptuous on my part but I know how WAF issues can muck up the purchase of gear. It seems like now may be the time for the original poster to get everything he needs rather than regretting not having the gear he wants later.

Comment

• Danbry39
                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Sep 2002

You guys are right, at least imo. In the end, it might be more cost effective to get a more powerful amp or amps now. Amps can last a long, long time. Obviously, speakers can too. However, power in reserve is a good thing and I'd personally much rather overshoot, than undershoot on power.

Keith
                                                Keith

Comment

• Energeezer
                                                  • Sep 2002

Short overview (maybe nice for the faq?)
                                                  1) General purpose + tuner: RSX-1055
                                                  2) General purpose + improved HT + tuner: RSX-1055 + RMB1075
                                                  3) General purpose + improved Stereo + tuner: RSX-1055 +
                                                  RB1080/1090
                                                  4) Best quality: RSP1066 + RMB1075/1095 ( + separate tuner).
                                                  Scarp
                                                  I agree with one addittion. Should read
                                                  2) General purpose + improved Stereo+ improved HT + tuner: RSX-1055 + RMB1075
                                                  2 Channel also benefits from this config which is what I am using.
                                                  If I were going to do anything different I would go with the high power 2 channel amp (sorry forgot the model # but the 200+ watt model) and use the internals of the 1055 for the other channels. Then the 2 channel would be in no way limited. Depending on whether you like multichannel music (sacd, DVD audio) or not could also be a factor in choosing as you would want more equal power IMO. Personally I don't care for it or my exposure to multichannel music is too limited and I think the producers are still "learning" the best ways to mix the channels.
                                                  I just wonder if it would be hard to balance the channels as the fronts would have so much extra power using the high power 2 channel plus 1055 combo. I'd interested to hear if anyone has done this.
                                                  steve

Comment

• leeda2
                                                    • May 2003

So many good thoughts!

I went to a local retailer that sells a lot of the Rotel/B&W combos. I specifically audtioned the 1065 and 1055. Based on the comments I read, I narrowed my choices down to the two integrated receivers.

Here is my thought process (not in any particular order of importance)...

1) Space Limitations... My shelf just does not have room for a separate amp and processor.

2) Need a tuner... a bit related to point number 1 (space), but I cannot justify spending $150 to $200 for an outboard tuner. Is FM/AM radio really worth that cost?

3) Cost/Benefit... I'm already noticing a huge sonic improvement from my previous reference system (Denon 1802 / Energy 5.1). For the price differential, beyond the 1055/1065, any additional "upgrade" would not provide the same "bang/$$$".

My audition at the store earlier today pointed out some interesting things that were not all that obvious to me prior to actually listening to the setup in person. My apologies if this is something that is considered "common knowledge". I wondered if the 1055/601 would compare well with the 1065/600 setup. To my surprise, the latter combination sounded a bit better. Was this worth the ~$450 increase in price? Hard to say, but there was a distinct "widening" of the soundstage as well as a tightness to the inital bass hits with the 1065/600 setup.

Just for grins, I tried out the 1055/602 vs. 1065/601. There was a much more noticeable increase in the sound quality. The music was more effortless coming from the 1065/601 setup versus the 1055/602. I'm sure this has to do with the increased power, but considering the marginal price difference between the 600 and 601, the improvement in sound quality was pretty surprising. I suppose you could continue to raise the bar and jump up to the CDM series and the sound would improve further, but taking the advice of many of the previous replies, the 1065/601 setup is at the edge of my budget. Therefore, I'm opting to "buy as much as I can 'afford'".

Yes, if the decision were solely mine, I would pull the trigger now. However, the true decision maker will have to be convinced just as I was. This will take some time. Sorry for all the rambling and thanks again for everyone's advice! After all of this, I need to find a proper sub, but I'll save that discussion for another area of this forum.

Comment

• Danbry39
                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                      • Sep 2002

Love posts like your leeda2. You certainly did the research and relied, in the end, on your specific needs and, more importantly, your own ears.

About the other aspect of your er situation, heck she loves you. Flash those gleaming white pearlies of yours at her and let her know how much you love her. It'll all work out.

Congratulations on becoming a full fledged member of Club Rotel and, most importantly, on your upcoming nuptuals.

Keith
                                                      Keith

Comment

• Mike Hayes
                                                        • Mar 2003

Leeda,

I like what you did, ie, you purchased according to need but did sneak just a bit of power in there As you can probably tell, I love power :twisted: The 1065 should serve you well for many years to come.

One note - the 1055/602 sounded more strained not only because of the power difference between the 1055/1065. The 602s are more demanding than the 601s. I've read many posts indicating that the 602s and the floorstanders in the 600 series really open up with decent power. This is typical of B&W's 2.5 way speakers and above.

Comment

• gd
                                                          • Jan 2003

leeda2 . . .

Excellent, dude!... well-scoped!

The 1065 leaves VERY little to be desired, short-term and long-term.

Originally posted by Danbry39
                                                          Congratulations on becoming a full fledged member of Club Rotel and, most importantly, on your upcoming nuptuals.
                                                          or... Congratulations on your upcoming nuptuals and, most importantly, on becoming a full fledged member of Club Rotel.

(pick any emoticon)

WAFless
                                                          greg (gd to you)

Frank Zappa

Comment

• Scarp
                                                            • Mar 2003

Mike, I think most speakers open up on some good power. But I find it very noticeable on B&W speakers. I dont even dare using my RMB1075 on my Nautilus 804's, I only use the 1090 for those.

Comment

• leeda2
                                                              • May 2003

Originally posted by gd

The 1065 leaves VERY little to be desired, short-term and long-term.

What do you mean by "leaves VERY little to be desired..."? I sounds like I may be misunderstanding you.

Anyhow, I haven't purchased anything just yet. I've made my decision and now it's just a matter of time before pulling the trigger. "Unfortunately", this is how I am with all of my purchases. I make my decision to purchase something well in advance - perform all research and demo prior to the actual purchase. Delayed gratification can suck sometimes, but I know that I won't regret my purchases.

Thanks again to everyone for helping guide me in this direction. I will post a follow up after I have everything in my place and setup.

Whatever happened to the idea of putting together a FAQ on this subject? I'm sure many others would benefit greatly from such a collection of posts.

Comment

• Energeezer
                                                                • Sep 2002

Leeda
                                                                I hope gd replies but in ther meantime I'll tell ya what that statement means to me.
                                                                There is NO product that leaves nothing to be desired. The Rotels are the best @ this price point IMO (why else would I have one) but they are NOT perfect and I could go on about probably 1/2 dozen things I do not like.
                                                                For me the biggest downfall is in the switching. You can not mix and match any video source to any I/P. On my cheaper Onkyo reciever I could asses say Video 1 or 2 or 3 etc to cd or any other source. Because of the way my system is set up this was a bonus for me. Enter Rotel 1055. No can do. I would like to put a video source on the screen when I have CD selected but no.
                                                                Is this a big deal No NO NO. There are workarounds. In this case I could feed the CD into say vid 2 and get the video that way but my point is these units are not perfect. You WILL find features on cheap Sonys, Onkyos etc that are nice but as for the important stuff like SOUND and clean power the Rotel leaves very little to be desired.
                                                                I tried running a Sony ES (2ES I think) reciever as a pre pro for my 1075 amp as a cost saving measure. OOOPs sorry big mistake and thank god the retailer let me bring it back and get the Rotel. Sounded like I was listening to music in an oil can or something and I really felt the reciever ******. But as I said it did have some features that were better than the Rotel. For example: Bass management. With the Sony you could pick and choose crossover freqs individually for each speaker.

Comment

• gd
                                                                  • Jan 2003

Originally posted by leeda2
                                                                  What do you mean by "leaves VERY little to be desired..."? I sounds like I may be misunderstanding you.
                                                                  Originally posted by energeezer
                                                                  NO product that leaves nothing to be desired... Rotels are the best @ this price point... these units are not perfect... but as for the important stuff like SOUND and clean power the Rotel leaves very little to be desired.
                                                                  Hey, leeda2... hope I wasn't misleading with that... I'm convinced you've made a smart, thoughtful, well-researched choice with the 1065... energeezer's post illustrates my point: each of us has unique preferences, and to that end, HT manufacturers provide several mix-n-match choices, no one of which is The Ultimate Solution... energeezer is keen on switching flexibility, several posters insist on power, some upgrade regularly and others carefully choose for the long haul.

If you were to ask me what I specifically thought the 1065's shortcomings might be, I'd reply the inability to assign amplification channels, and (I'm not sure about this one - please correct me if wrong) I think the processing section of the 1065 is one generation older than the 1055... but those things are personal considerations of mine, and may mean nothing to you... what we're left with is a receiver with outstanding sonics regardless of processor age, and what should be very sufficient power to drive the particular monitor loudspeakers you are shopping... one which addresses your clearly-stated aims... in short, a well-informed decision.

It just wouldn't necessarily be my own personal choice, as I would suggest separates, more power, and a more extensive speaker search... but if someone handed me a 1065, I'd be stoked! -- it's a great piece.
                                                                  greg (gd to you)

Frank Zappa

Comment

• gostan
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • May 2003

I too have been listening to the RSP1066-RMB1075 v. the RSX1055. My speakers are B&W 602's for fronts, LCR600 for center and 601's for rear surround with an B&W ASW2000 subwoofer. My current receiver was a Denon 2800. Yesterday I went back to my audio dealer and the silver 1066-1075 I was thinking about purchasing had been sold. The purchaser had traded a 3 month old RSX 1055, which was in perfect condition. Probably just about broken in. My dealer gave me a great price for it ($850.00) so my decision was made. I have a one year trade up also with a full purchase price trade-in. I am using a Denon 2900 for dvd and sacd-dvd-audio. The clarity of the sound is quite different with the Rotel. Everything sounds so clear and full. I have a small listening-viewing room so power is not really too much of an issue, although I do notice that I have to turn the volume up quite a bit to run the 602's,etc. I wonder what they would sound like with a more powerful amplifier. However, as I am listening to 70% HT and multichannel music v. 30% stereo, I would probably have to consider a 1075 multichannel amp. I also need a second amp to run my zone 2 speakers and my dealer has suggested the RB-1050. Is this the best way to go, or should I invest in something more powerful for future upgradeability? Too bad I cannot purchase a 1075 and assign the amps on the 1055 to run the second zone. All I can say is that so far I am very happy to have finally joined the Rotel community.
                                                                    Stan

Comment

• Energeezer
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Sep 2002

God Damm Gostan. Congrats Great deal Yur gonna luv the 1055.
                                                                      And a warentee.
                                                                      Now go in the basement, close the door and pull out all those CDs you like but sounded so harsh with the denon. I think you'll find the sound on those disks may have changed :P
                                                                      Steve

Comment

• Danbry39
                                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                                        • Sep 2002

Yeah Gostan,

Congratulations!!! I don't care if it's a demo or not, that is one GREAT deal on a GREAT receiver. :-y

Keith
                                                                        Keith

Comment

Working...
                                                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                        Search Result for "|||"