X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DelRay
    • Jun 2004

Protection Film

Just wondering how many have removed the protective covering on their 1068 displays. Would imagine the 1098 also has it.
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

I'd guess virtually everyone removes it.

Comment

• Kevin D
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

...Usually after they come here and complain about how crappy and 'foggy' Rotel's display's are.

The 1098 has one that's a little more obvious than the others.

Kevin D.

Comment

• srb
        • Oct 2004

I removed the plastic protective film from my RSX-1056. However, I found the display too bright for nightime, and couldn't understand why there is no dimmer function, as my $75 VCR has a menu-controlled dimmer.

I went to the local Ace Hardware, where I bought some bronze window tinting film 12" wide that was sold by the linear foot. so I got 1 foot for about $1.50.

I cut a rectangle the exact size of the display. It is very clear (unlike the protective film), and you can only tell it's on there when bright sunlight hits it and reveals some very tiny bubbles. I still wanted it a bit less bright, so I used two pieces.

It adheres to itself and to the display window without adhesive. It worked PERFECTLY! I also used a piece on another component, which also was a bit bright.

Comment

• Kevin D
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2002

Sweet.. You can kill the display if you hold down the OSD button, but that does have to be reset everytime.

My Escient Fireball's standby light is a blue LED. I swear it's the same type used in some euro headlights. My whole living room was blue at night. I took a black sharpee and 'tinted' the LED black.. Can't tell I did anything at all.

Kevin D.

Comment

• shadow
            • Dec 2003

I am having trouble getting an edge of the protective film loose so I can peel it off. Any ideas? Don't want to scratch it.

Comment

• DrJRapp
              Super Senior Member
              • Apr 2003

Originally posted by shadow
              I am having trouble getting an edge of the protective film loose so I can peel it off. Any ideas? Don't want to scratch it.
              Use some tape like scotch tape and rub it on near a corner leaving one end free. Use the free end to gently pull at an angle, not straight, or the tape will peel off. That should lift the corner of the protective film.
              Jerry Rappaport

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"