X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spiffnme
    • Apr 2003

Pro Logic II vs. 5 channel music

When I first got my RSP-1066 I was excited to try out the new Pro Logic II, as I had heard it was quite an impressive improvement over the old Pro Logic.

I was not that impressed. Likewise, I've never been impressed by any DSP sound effects in the past.

Well, tonight I threw on one of my favorite discs, and decided to give the 1066's "5 channel stereo" selection a whirl. Wow! That sounded pretty damn good! Has anyone else found the same to be true - DPL II sucks, but Rotel's own built in 5 channel stereo mode rocks?

Curious to hear what others think.

www.funnyfarmcomics.net
    All Daredevil, All the Time!
  • georose
    • Apr 2003

I assume by disk you mean CD's. Most CD's that I have heard have little if any content that can be heard on surround channels. There are exceptions such as many Chesky recordings. On the other hand vinyl and FM are loaded with surround sound info. Try the vinyl or FM and see if you agree with me. Dolby Music or Music 1 I enjoy the most.

Comment

• georose
      • Apr 2003

Oops - forgot to add Stereo 5 or Stereo 7 are good with all CD's but I prefer just plain stereo in those cases.

Comment

• Danbry39
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Sep 2002

spiffnme,

I'm with you all the way on this. I've listened at one time or another to all the surround options for CD's through the Rotel and really won't be going back to any of them - except 5 channel stereo. I'd say I probably listen to two channel stereo around 65% of the time and five channel the rest of the time.

It all depends on my mood at the time and the music I'm listening to. Classical and Jazz appeal to my listening more via two channel, but a lot of rock appeals to me in five channel, especially if I want to have a "concert" in my room and really blast the sound. For instance, last week, I was listening to The Allman Brothers' Live at Fillmore East and it all came alive for me, but not in the artificial way that some of the processing options come off.

It's all personal, but for me, five channel stereo seems the most honest of all the multi-channel options for playing redbook CD's.

Keith
        Keith

Comment

• Kevin D
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2002

Just curious.. Everyone is going in and tweaking the effect when they turn on PLII right?

Setting Panarama to on and spreading the center width out does wonders a lot of times.. I've really had good experiences with PLII on multiple systems..

Also make sure you set it to PLII MUSIC for the best effects.. (I'm sure that goes without saying)

Kevin D.

Comment

• spiffnme
            • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Kevin D
            Just curious.. Everyone is going in and tweaking the effect when they turn on PLII right?

Setting Panarama to on and spreading the center width out does wonders a lot of times.. I've really had good experiences with PLII on multiple systems..

Also make sure you set it to PLII MUSIC for the best effects.. (I'm sure that goes without saying)

Kevin D.
            I'm still pretty new to my 1066...didn't know you could "tweak" DPL II. I'll have to look at the manual. (hehehehe...REAL men don't read those, do they?)

www.funnyfarmcomics.net

Comment

• Blue-Eyes
              • Dec 2002

5/7-channel will be nice with exact the same speakers, no question about it. And at least speakers of the same series (eq. tik2/6/10, 804/805 , etc.)

------------------------------------------------------
              Never drive faster than your Angel can fly!
              ------------------------------------------------------
              Never drive faster than your Angel can fly!

Comment

• spiffnme
                • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Kevin D

Kevin D.
                I tweaked around with the DPL II, and you're right. It's MUCH, MUCH better now. So much better, I'm curious why the default would be to have the setting "off".

Thanks for the tip!

www.funnyfarmcomics.net

Comment

• Kevin D
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Oct 2002

Good question. By default it pretty much takes mono info from the left/right and shoves it to center.

Maybe another addition to the FAQ needs to be made..

Kevin D.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"