X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nathan
    • Oct 2004

Question about Rotel

I know this is a Pro-Rotel forum, but I'm hoping for some somewhat objective advice :-)

Until earlier today, as far as I knew, Rotel was a brand of tomatoes. I've been looking at the Sunfire Cinema Grand and was leaning seriously towards buying it. I went down to one of our higher end stores today and asked if they could get the Sunfire amp. The sales guy told me that I should seriously consider looking at the Rotel RMB-1075 from a bang for your buck standpoint. ( The speakers are 5 M&K 750's - 4 ohm load )

He didn't have one in stock that I could listen to (he had other models) so I asked him how it would compare to the Sunfire. He says that in his opinion that it's the same quality for a lower price - of course, he's trying to make a sale.

So I'm hoping that some of the folks here have some experience with both amps as I'm only familiar with the Sunfire products.

TIA,

Nathan
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

I have no experience with Sunfire, but the question is, do they carry Sunfire, or another brand like Krell?

Reason I ask is, if they have higher end amps that would compare price wise to the Sunfire, why wouldn't he try to make the sale on that? They didn't even have a 1075 in stock, so he wasn't trying to push one off the shelf..

Makes you wonder..

Kevin D.

Comment

• Nathan
      • Oct 2004

Yes and No

They don't stock the model I want, they do have the model up. Same with the Rotel - they have the model above the one he is trying to sell me.

Over on the AVSForum, people seem to either love or hate Rotel - which is typical. For some people, anything but the very best you can buy if money is no object isn't worth owning. I tend to disregard those people :-)

I figured the people who post here would be knowledgeable on the Rotel product...

Thanks.

Comment

• Cracking Oboe
        • May 2004

Great deductive reasoning, Kevin!
        It sounds like this retailer really does like the RMB 1075.

Cracking!

Comment

• Cracking Oboe
          • May 2004

Oops, a little premature in my praise Kevin.

Nathan,
          The rotel amps are excellent performers which can handle your low resistance speakers with ease and musicality. They have recieved numerous awards and excellent reviews :5: (the reviews are available on the Rotel website). The review that comes to my mind was in What Hi-Fi? magazine, where the RMB 1075 won a shoot out (with each companies pre/pros) against the likes of TAG McLaren, Primare, Arcam, and more (some costing close to three times the price). I am certain you'll never regret getting the RMB 1075.

Cracking!

Comment

• DrJRapp
            Super Senior Member
            • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Nathan

So I'm hoping that some of the folks here have some experience with both amps as I'm only familiar with the Sunfire products.

TIA,

Nathan
            I do have experience with Sunfire and now own Rotel. I am not familiar with the CG you are comparing to the RMB1075 but I DO know that the (Carver) Sunfire amps tend to be brighter than Rotel. The 1075 has a nice neutral laid back sound that I prefer. Also, the 1075 has not had any "issues" come up as have some others have.

I drive Klipsch speakers which although highly efficient, do have some severe impedance dips at low frequencies. It has been said that the RF7, which I use for my mains dips below 2 ohms at resonance. My RMB 1075 has never failed to loose it's poise while driving these speakers.
            Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Also given that you're running 4 ohm speakers you'll be getting close to 200 watts a channel from the 1075 which is nothing to sneeze at I've had my 1075 for a while now and as someone above mentions this model has been built proof for Rotel.

Comment

• Nathan
                • Oct 2004

Thanks!

So... I had him place the order for the 1075 today, they estimate it will arrive early next week.

Thanks for the info and advice!!

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"