X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Riz
    • Jun 2003

Calibration & DPLII

Is this normal. I have a 1055 and did my calibration with the built in test signal, and when I play a DVD all the levels are fine, but when I play a vhs tape using DPLII I have to manually boost the surround and CB speakers.

Also, thanks Andrew for the latest software upgrades, and instructions, I did the upgrade the other day and everything work perfectly.
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Normal in this case is hard to define since we're talking about your personal preferences in that DSP mode. I find a lot depends on the TV program I"m watching...some sound great in PLII while others seem lacking by comparison.

Comment

• Riz
      • Jun 2003

What kind of adjustments do you usually make? I find if I am watching a movie on vhs I have to increase both the surrounds and cb's from
      0 to 8, to have the surround noticable.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

I don't change anything. What happens when you choose DTS:NEO instead of PLII? Is that better or the same?

Comment

• Riz
          • Jun 2003

It sounds the same in DTS:NEO. I think I'll talk to my dealer and maybe try a tape at the store, maybe I am expecting the surrounds to be more prevelant than they are supppose to be. When I listen to a DVD the surrounds are so much more obvious, and the way DPL II is talked about, I was expecting the same.

Thanks for your input Andrew!

Comment

• jaakan
            • Dec 2002

VHS 2ch to Pro Logic II vs DVD 2ch to Pro Logic II right?
            or VHS 2ch to Pro Logic II vs DVD Dolby Digital?

You should never expect the same. Don't let the Dealer BS you either.
            Even when 2ch audio is mix correctly for Prologic or PLII will never sound the seem as a DDigital soundtrack.

Comment

• zeppelin
              • May 2003

I suggest that you use the outside source pink noise from a DVD like the Video Essential or THX optimizer to calibrate your system and always use a SPL meter with it.

Comment

• pbarata
                • Feb 2003

Which Radio Shack SPL meter is better for sound calibration, the analog model or the digital model? Thx.
                Movies: Samsung LCD LE37A557, Rotel RSP-1066 & RMB-1075, Sony PS3, VdH D-102 Hybrid III interc, QED XT-350 & Supra Rondo 4x2,5 speaker cable, QED Qunex P75 coax, Monitor Audio Silver 5i/8i/10i speakers, REL Quake sub, QED Qunex SR-SW subwoofer cable, IXOS XHT458 HDMI, Supra LoRad, Isotek Mini Sub GII;
                Music: Rega Planar 3, Goldring 1042, Vincent PHO-8, Krell KAV-280cd, Krell KAV-400xi, B&W 703, Siltech SQ-28 Classic G5 (XLR), Siltech LS-68 Classic Mk2, Nordost Vishnu, QED Qonduit MDH6.

Comment

• wng
                  • Dec 2002

Most prefer the analog meter because when calibrating the subwoofer, the digital meter fluctuates quickly and it's hard to get an "average". On the analog meter, you can just follow the needle and get a good estimate.

Comment

• Kevin D
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Oct 2002

FYI:
                    There's a SLOW button on the digital that does the averaging for you..

Kevin D.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"