X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lthsell100
    • Dec 2003

Reference 50 Problem?

Ok people, help me out. I just bought a Ref. 50 this weekend. Its all configured and wired. Three things Im not happy with 1) Excessive noise from contacts during source/surround switching, 2) Sometimes failure to detect DD bitstream from SAT receiver, 3) Whenever DD is detected, I get an annoying sharp crack(pop) through the speakers and often sound dropping off and on. I called B&K, they say they get calls like mine but there is no fix. Im thinking of returning it. Should I buy a Rotel or get a replacement? Anyone else encounter this problem?
  • leeda2
    • May 2003

which connection are you experiencing this on? i only have issues on my "optical" connection. i have not had this problem via rca's.

Comment

• Lthsell100
      • Dec 2003

Yes, its on the optical input. I have a DSS reveiver with an optical output. It doesnt do it on any other channels other than HBO or something that is broadcast in DD. Very annoying. Im getting a replacement but I dont think it will change.

Comment

• leeda2
        • May 2003

i'm afraid it's not just the optical. i contacted both b&k and my dealer and they said it affects all the digital inputs. i tried via coax and i get the same problem. however, the clicking sound is not as loud as over the optical.

i've found that lowering the volume or muting the sounds eliminated the problem. not ideal, but hopefully a workable solution for you.

the rep at b&k did tell me that this would most likely be "corrected" in their next software update, but didn't provide a time frame for the release.

Comment

• Jarrod
          • Feb 2004

Originally posted by leeda2
          the rep at b&k did tell me that this would most likely be "corrected" in their next software update, but didn't provide a time frame for the release.
          According to my dealer, it was released last Friday. I just purchased a Ref50 and it will come from the factory with the new software preinstalled.

Comment

• TimGRA
            • Feb 2004

Jarrod,

Have you recieved your new Ref50 yet? If so did they truly fix the "clicking and popping" issue? Please let us know. IM an anxious buyer, but refuse until I know the problem is fixed.

tim

Comment

• leeda2
              • May 2003

All the new units (software version 2.01) will have the fix included. My dealer is sending me the replacement board which includes the fix for this. I'll report my findings next week after I've performed the upgrade.

Comment

• Dmantis
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jun 2004

This is a common problem for B&K over the last few digital years.They don't use a soft muting circuit so you hear all the switching.As per B&K, this yields better overall sound quality not using a muting circuit.
                I don't know if I agree with that statement,as I 2 get very annoyed by this.I have changed my software from 2.09 to 2.11 in the avr307,I had a problem with the dvd player playing PCM popping.Once the software was installed,the popping for the dvd player went away but caused my Dss Tivo to start popping every time I changed the channel.

From what I understand it's a delicate balance between bitstream corrections.B&K swears it's the other manufactors problems that cause all this.Again I don't know If I agree with that as many other brands don't suffer from the annoying problem.

I feel the overall performance justifies owning B&K.There sound quality I feel is better then others in it's price class.They offer many useable features like the Notch filter.

When calling B&k,tell them about the brand and exactly what it's doing.They will try to resolve it.

Comment

• leeda2
                  • May 2003

Originally posted by leeda2
                  All the new units (software version 2.01) will have the fix included. My dealer is sending me the replacement board which includes the fix for this. I'll report my findings next week after I've performed the upgrade.
                  well, i changed out the board and it turns out that this isn't the whole fix. the popping sounds have been reduced drastically, but they are still there. apparently there is another "hardware" mod that b&k must perform at the factory.

i heard that there is now a v2.02... i may wait it out until the next version and i hear more confirmation that all the popping sounds are gone.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"