X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eelco74
    • Dec 2002

RSP-1068 and Xbox 360

I have a annoying problem that has developed last month.

I have a Xbox 360 connected via optical to my rsp-1068.
    After a few minutes of use, a hum appears in all channels.
    swithing source (cd/tape/dvd) makes no difference. The hum stays.
    swithing the 1068 on/off removes the hum.

I can listen to other sources (denon 2900 on a coax digital) without hum appearing.

I tried a different optical in, but no success.

I never had this with my original Xbox, that was connected to the same optical input.

Any thoughts ?
    Marantz AV8802, Marantz UD8002, Rotel RB-991 and RB985mkii, Rotel RD960
    Focal/Jmlab Electra 1028S, Electra CC, Electra SW1000S, Cobalt 705
    Pioneer KRL-37V, Epson EH-TW8100, Kinkping CES-180 77"inch
  • Azeke
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2003

Just some quick thoughts, try plugging the Xbox 360 into a different power outlet, use a different optical cable, swap the optical cable to a different input. Check your TV cable connection to ensure it is grounded properly, (remove the tv cable).

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• Sponge
      • May 2006

Because the coax got rid of it I vote the optical cable. But how it appears after a little bit and not right away is a little puzzling.

Like Axeke said try as many changes as possible but one variable at a time...
      Old HT guy getting back into it!

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

Well the optical is not a conductive connection to the receiver and shouldn't be able to introduce a hum. If you can literally pull the optical cable and the noise goes away, you've got a new one on me!

Kevin D.

Comment

• Dmantis
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Kevin D
          Well the optical is not a conductive connection to the receiver and shouldn't be able to introduce a hum. If you can literally pull the optical cable and the noise goes away, you've got a new one on me!

Kevin D.
          Agreed. Optical cables have no Metallic connection like a Digital coax does. Very strange problem. Do you video switch the 360 in the rsp1068? This would be your metallic connection, if not I'm at a lose as well.

Dan

Comment

• PewterTA
            • Nov 2004

The problem is, and I'm betting you are doing this... is you have the components running through the 1068?

I had my Xbox360 running through my 1098 and got the same buzzing due to the component cables being plugged into it. It drove me absolutely NUTS. Pissed me off as well. I ended up having to swap out my 1098 and Xbox360 component cables on the TV until I get a better TV that has HDMI & more components on it.

I don't know why they didn't properly ground the Xbox360... makes no sense to me... That or why the 1098/1095/1080 combo I have is so sensitive to grounding issues...

It's a little bit of a pain having to go behind the TV to swap out the cables, but it's 100% better than that annoying buzz!
            Digital Audio makes me Happy.
            -Dan

Comment

• eelco74
              • Dec 2002

Peter,

I do have the 360 running component. Simply to the fact that I use the xbox as a media extender to display 720P and 1080i movies.

I will try to connect it directly to my plasma, and see if it disappears. Though I won't be able to use my beamer to watch my Xbox.

Comment

• Dmantis
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jun 2004

Originally posted by eelco74
                Peter,

I do have the 360 running component. Simply to the fact that I use the xbox as a media extender to display 720P and 1080i movies.

I will try to connect it directly to my plasma, and see if it disappears. Though I won't be able to use my beamer to watch my Xbox.
                Thats the problem. I bet it goes away after you remove it. I plan on getting a 360 when Chrome hounds comes out. I play Mechassault 1 alot and have been waiting for a good mech game. Mech 2 wasn't as good as I thought it would have been.

Dan

Comment

• Kevin D
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Oct 2002

If it does go away, there's ways to fix it if you have to have it go through.

Kevin D.

Comment

• eelco74
                    • Dec 2002

Kevin,

What do you mean by that ?

Comment

• Kevin D
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Oct 2002

Assuming you've gone through the normal tricks to get rid of a ground loop, you can get an isolation transformer. I know the one's these guys sell works, but it's about as much as your XBOX. I'm sure partsexpress or the like have some cheaper alternatives.

Kevin D.

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"