X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • merc
    • Nov 2000

How much to upgrade an original DC-1?

I am thinking of buying a used original Lexicon DC-1 with version 1.2 (the original version). How much would it cost me to upgrade this unit to the current highest version for the DC-1?
    Thanks for your help!

Take Care,
    merc
    Take Care,
    merc
  • DanB
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Oct 2000

Hi Merc:
    You can upgrade the standard issue DC-1 to the DTS/DD version 4.0 for roughly 800.00-1000.00. This upgrade gives you Ultra-THX certification, and several software enhancements, most notably (IMHO) different crossover points.
    Depending on what you paid (or will pay) for a used base DC-1, you may be better off getting a DC-2- the useful life on the DC-1 as far as upgrades are concerned is pretty much done.

DB

Comment

• merc
      • Nov 2000

DanB: Thank you for that info.
      Actually I'm negotiating for this unit and could probably get it for less than $400. It is absolutely immaculate and supposedly barely used. Can I do the upgrade myself, or do I need to send it into Lexicon? I am pretty handy with a soldering gun and have soldered traces on mother boards and altered Intel Processors for dual motherboards, so as long as I have directions to follow and the right ephroms etc, I would not be afraid to DIY.
      Thanks for your help!

Take Care,
      merc
      Take Care,
      merc

Comment

• Lexman
        Super Senior Member
        • Jun 2000

merc, I have an original DD/DTS chip somewhere around here. Not sure if I can find it or not though. There was a popping sound when changing sources with this version, whatever version it was. So, Lexicon sent me a chip upgrade. Let me know if you would be interested in that chip. I am sure we can work a deal out.

Good post Dan, thanks.

Lex

Comment

• Lexman
          Super Senior Member
          • Jun 2000

But, there could be a supplemental board that has to be added for DTS, I am really not sure. The chip I have goes on the mother board. I am sure about that because I just changed out one on my MC-1. I wonder, if the chip from the MC-1 would work in a DC-1? Great question.

Lex

Comment

• DanB
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Oct 2000

Merc-
            Yes, you can do the upgrade yourself on the DC-1. I performed all my own on my DC-1, and the one on my MC-1. There is no soldering or anything like that, it is more of a computer-type card replacement and EPROM chip change.
            When you upgrade to V4.0 with DD/DTS, you will recieve the DTS and DolbyDigital daughtercard, and 2 new EPROM chips. There is also an optional fan kit to go with the DTS upgrade, which I highly recommend.
            Also- if you can get the serial number- I can trace it to see if it has the older 20 bit D/A convertors or the new 24 bit D/A convertors, which will make a difference in sound, a least IMO.
            A DC-1 for 400 bucks, plus the upgrade will net out at roughly 1500 bucks or so, and is better than any of the Japanese recievers out there as far as quality and sound/dollar spent goes- PLUS you will be able to trade that unit in down the road on future Lexicon processors- try trading in a Denon or Yamaha on their "new and improved" recievers they introduce every 6 months. Yes, Lexicon is expensive, but you always stay on top of changing technology with cheap upgrades and the ability to trade in to newer models.
            I highly recommend them.
            Dan

Comment

• DanB
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Oct 2000

Hi Lex-
              Yep there was a popping noise in V3.1 of the software, I believe.
              I have heard they have a V5.2 coming out for us MC-1 owners...are ya ready?
              Happy holidays to ya....anything new on the bike front?
              And to answer your question..the MC-1/DC-1/DC-2 EPROMS are all different- they are not swappable- although someone did say that the MC-1 and DC-2 small chips (1 of 2 that is used) in the 4.0 version is the same.
              I have some old DC-1 chips leftover, although to go to DD you need the daughtercard.
              Merc could go to the THX version from the base version with 2 chip changeouts.
              Dan

Comment

• intelonetwo
                • Jan 2003

Lexicon DC-1 Chip

Hi, Sorry to chime in so late in the game. I happen to have a Lexicon DC-1 Base, and would like know if any of you have an old chip laying around to upgrade it from base to THX, DD, DTS. If so how much. Thankx.

Comment

• spkerguy
                  • Jun 2005

I might be able to help. I have a Lexicon DC-1 version 4 with dts thx etc. The input on it is blown and I talked to lexicon and they will fully fix it for $425.00 and fix anything else that may be wrong with it (and probably give you a warranty on the work they do). This might be a solution to think about.

Ken

Comment

• Lex
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Apr 2001

actually, I may have a chip, but I can't recall if it was from DC-1 or MC-1, I'll have to look... I'll see if I can find it this weekend.
                    Doug
                    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• CJWessing
                      • Dec 2008

I recently purchased a non-working DC-1 with DTS/DD/THX Ultra, swapped the power supply, and now its working wonderfully.

I'm looking to upgrade it from Version 3.10 to Version 4.00. Would anyone have a chip laying around or a version 4.00 DC-1 for parts?

Thanks,
                      Chris

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"