X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dschamis
    • Sep 2001

Main IR Input - What am I doing wrong?

I am tring to use the Onkyo IR system (with the IR receiver, connecting block, etc.) to control the RDC7's main input from another room. For some reason, when I connect a cable from the connecting block to the Main IR INPUT on the RDC7 I get nothing.

Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

David
  • Burke Strickland
    • Sep 2001

David -

Is it safe to assume that you are using the correct type of cable and have things connected according to the diagram in the instructions? Just asking because I really don't have enough information yet to trouble shoot this one... hope we can get this figured out for you.

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Burke Strickland
      • Sep 2001

David -

Haven't heard any more from you here about your remote to main IR input situation and I was wondering how that is working out.

Let's review the bidding here:
      Originally posted by Onkyo FAQ
      6. Can I connect an external IR (infrared) receiver directly to the RI input on the back of my receiver?

No. The external IR receiver requires power from an external source. The RI input on the back of the receiver does not supply power, hence a connecting block must be used for distribution. One of the emitter (or "flasher") outputs on the connecting block then would be connected via a mono mini-plug cable to the RI input on the back of the receiver. Please contact the manufacturer of your RI system for more information regarding RI repeating system connections.

Originally posted by RDC-7 Instruction Manual p 27
      Connecting to the IR IN MAIN input
      If the RDC-7 is located inside a cabinet or other enclosure
      controller cannot enter, then operation with the remote
      controller will not be possible. In such a case, it
      will be necessary to install a remote sensor at a location
      outside of the cabinet for the infrared beams
      from the controller to reach.

1. Connect the connecting block to the IR IN
      MAIN input at the RDC-7.
      2. Install the remote sensor at a location where it
      can detect the infrared beams from the
      remote controller.
      3. Connect the remote sensor to the connecting
      block.
      SO I guess we can assume:

1) You have a mono cable with 1/8" plugs connecting the RDC-7 IR Main input (for Main Zone) to one of the the connecting block's "emitter" outputs.

2) You have AC power connected to the connecting block.

3) The remote sensor is connected to the connecting block and positioned to accept remote commands.

If this the way you have it set up and it is still not working, one of the items in the chain may be defective. Or there is something else we have not discussed yet that comes to bear on the problem (in which case we would still need more information.)

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"