X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Razvan
    • Jan 2002

upgrade news 4/30/02

This is from Onkyo's website:

"Onkyo Announces THX Ultra 2 and DTS 96/24 Upgrade Program for its Flagship TX–DS989 AV Receiver - 04/29/02

UPPER SADDLE RIVER, N.J. -- Onkyo has announced a program to upgrade its top-of-the-line TX–DS989 home theater receivers to full compatibility with the newly introduced THX Ultra 2 and DTS 96/24 home theater and multi-channel audio sound formats.

“With this upgrade, the two-year-old Onkyo TX–DS989 is completely up to date with the latest in audio processing technology,” said Don Milks, Onkyo’s National Product and Marketing Manager. “We have made it possible for our customers to keep pace with the state of the art without having to buy a new receiver every six months.”

Like the earlier THX Ultra standard, THX Ultra2 certifies that the Onkyo TX-DS989 offers superior audio and video specifications, which have been updated to reflect new technology. However, this new ‘standard’ also requires the use of THX Ultra2 Cinema processing circuitry, which provides for optimal management of the system’s four surround channels when using any multichannel software that lacks Surround EX encoding.

The addition of DTS 96/24 technology also provides a dramatic upgrade to the Onkyo TX–DS989’s capabilities. The DTS 96/24 standard allows conventional video DVDs to include 5.1-channel sound tracks with audio quality comparable to wide bandwidth, high dynamic range formats like DVD-Audio and SACD, while still allowing for full-motion video.

The upgrade, which will be available in June for $500, requires internal hardware and software modifications that will be performed by select regional service centers. Customers who purchased the upgrade to DTS-ES and Dolby Pro Logic II last year will be given a $50 credit towards this upgrade, because those features are also included with the new upgrade. Since this upgrade requires modification to the TX–DS-989’s processor PCB, the price includes the cost of shipping and insurance to and from the service center. "

$500 is way too expensive. No way I'll pay that much for DTS 96/24 and THX Ultra II.

Razvan
  • Burke Strickland
    • Sep 2001

The upgrade news is slowly making its way across the Onkyo/Integra sites. The Integra Home Theater Site posts this:

Integra Upgrades “Future Proof” Receiver to THX Ultra2 and DTS 96/24

When Integra first introduced its top-of-the-line DTR-9.1 home theater receiver two years ago, it featured a revolutionary “future-proof” upgradeable processor that protected consumers from having their receiver rendered obsolete each time a new home theater processing technology was introduced. In 2001, the company offered an upgrade that added DTS-ES and Dolby Pro Logic 2.

Today, Integra is announcing a program to upgrade these receivers to accommodate the new THX Ultra2 and DTS 96/24 home theater and multi-channel audio sound formats, and to add a variable subwoofer crossover for improved bass accuracy. The company also introduced the new DTR-9.1U2 which incorporates all these changes.

“With this upgrade, the two-year-old Integra DTR-9.1 is equipped to decode the latest in audio processing formats,” said Eric Harper, Integra & Custom Installation Product Manager. “This gives our customers and installers the ability to keep pace with state of the art technology, without having to buy a new receiver every six months.”

Like the earlier THX Ultra standard, THX Ultra2 certifies that the Integra DTR–9.1 offers superior audio and video specifications, which have been updated to reflect new technology. In addition, because many multichannel titles lack Surround-EX encoding, the more stringent Ultra2 standard specifies sophisticated CinemaMode processing which automatically detects any program of 5.1 channels or more, and optimally reproduces it on a 7.1-channel system.

The addition of DTS 96/24 technology also provides a dramatic upgrade to the Integra DTR-9.1’s capabilities. The DTS 96/24 standard allows conventional video DVDs to include 5.1-channel sound tracks with audio quality comparable to wide bandwidth, high dynamic range formats like DVD-Audio and SACD, while still allowing for full-motion video.

The upgrade also provides a variable subwoofer crossover can be set at 80, 100, or 120 Hz, except when using THX processing which fixes the low-pass filter at 80 Hz.

The upgrade, which will be available in June with a retail price of $500, requires internal hardware and software modifications that will be performed by regional service centers. An introductory $200 discount will be offered until August 30, 2002. Customers who purchased the DTS-ES and Dolby Pro Logic II upgrade last year will be given an additional $50 credit because those features are also included with the new upgrade. The price includes the cost of shipping and insurance to the service center.

The Integra DTR-9.1U2 will be available in June with a suggested retail price of $3,600.

The Integra Home Theater upgrade does include some limited additions to the bass management facilities in addition to THX Ultra 2 and DTS 96/24 capabilities. Note that the introductory price on the upgrade for the DTR-9.1 is discounted to $300 until August 30, 2002. And if you had already gotten the previous upgrade (Dolby Prologic II, et al), the new upgrade is only $250. Also the price includes shipping and insurance.

I'm expecting that the Integra Research site will soon have details on the upgrade for the RDC-7. I'm hoping (but not really expecting) that it will be more than just a boiler plate cut-and-paste of the other announcments, addressing at least some of the concerns and issues we have communicated to them about the upgrade.

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• jakermc
      • Nov 2001

Even with the discount, this feels a bit pricey. Has anyone heard Ultra2 yet to determine if it is worth upgrading for? If it offers the same improvment as DPL to DPLII then I'm in, but it would have to be as dramatic to justify the time and expense.

The bass management 'upgrade' is very disappointing. Who is buying higher end equipment and matching it to speakers that can't go down to 80hz? I imagine a very small percentage of the owners care about this so why bother? I hate the fact that I would be paying for this 'feature' if I upgraded. Other companies have maintained THX certification and offered lower cross-over points, why can't Onkyo?

Comment

• Razvan
        • Jan 2002

"Customers who purchased the DTS-ES and Dolby Pro Logic II upgrade last year will be given an additional $50 credit because those features are also included with the new upgrade.

So, the upgrade cost is basically $250 for the people who have DPLII and $300 for the ones who don't?

Razvan

Comment

• jakermc
          • Nov 2001

Well, I've seen announcementsw for the receivers, but nothing for the RDC-7. Am I missing something here?

Comment

• Greg Staten
            • Sep 2001

I dropped by my dealer over the weekend. They told me they had heard the upgrade announcement would come mid-month.

-greg

Comment

• ton1313
              • Mar 2002

It is up on the IR website, Available in June 2002! :twisted:

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                • Sep 2001

Thanks for the heads up. Here it is: http://www.integraresearch.com/articles.cfm?id=16

Press Releases

Integra Research Announces THX Ultra 2 and DTS 96/24 Upgrade for RDC-7 AV Preamp-Processor - 04/30/02

When Integra Research first introduced its RDC-7 audio-video preamp-processor two years ago, it featured a revolutionary "future-proof" upgradeable architecture that protected consumers from having their processor rendered obsolete each time a new home theater processing technology was introduced. In 2001, the company offered an upgrade that added DTS-ES and Dolby Pro Logic 2.

Today, Integra Research is announcing a program to upgrade these processors to accommodate the new THX Ultra2 and DTS 96/24 home theater and multi-channel audio sound formats, and to add a variable subwoofer crossover for improved bass accuracy. The upgrade will be incorporated into all new RDC-7 units.

“With this upgrade, the two-year-old Integra Research RDC-7 is equipped to decode the latest in audio processing formats,” said Eric Harper, Integra & Custom Installation Product Manager. “This gives our customers and installers the ability to keep pace with state of the art technology, without having to buy a new preamp-processor every six months.”

Like the earlier THX Ultra standard, THX Ultra2 certifies that the Integra Research RDC-7 offers superior audio and video specifications, which have been updated to reflect new technology. In addition, because many multichannel titles lack Surround-EX encoding, the more stringent Ultra2 standard specifies sophisticated CinemaMode processing which automatically detects any program of 5.1 channels or more, and optimally reproduces it on a 7.1-channel system.

The addition of DTS 96/24 technology also provides a dramatic upgrade to the Integra Research RDC-7’s capabilities. The DTS 96/24 standard allows conventional video DVDs to include 5.1-channel sound tracks with audio quality comparable to wide bandwidth, high dynamic range formats like DVD-Audio and SACD, while still allowing for full-motion video.

The upgrade also provides a variable subwoofer crossover can be set at 80, 100, or 120Hz, except when using THX processing which fixes the low-pass filter at 80 Hz.

The upgrade, which will be available in June with a retail price of $500, requires internal hardware and software modifications that will be performed by regional service centers. An introductory $200 discount will be offered until August 30, 2002. Customers who purchased the DTS-ES and Dolby Pro Logic II upgrade last year will be given an additional $50 credit because those features are also included with the new upgrade. The price includes the cost of shipping and insurance to the service center.

The updated Integra Research RDC-7, which incorporates this upgrade, will be available in June with a suggested retail price of $4,500.

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                  • Sep 2001

Note that new units produced after the upgrade is made available will incorporate the upgrade and will list for $4,500. So Integra Research is NOT "screwing" its older customers by charging them extra for something new customers are "getting anyway", but rather with the introductory discounts offered, is actually offering us something of a break.

However, the press release still leaves a lot of questions unanswered, such as

1) "what exactly would we be getting for our $$$ in terms of actual hardware changes/additions to make it intrinsically worth the investment" and

2) "do the hardware modifications include the long-promised IEEE 1394 ports?" (even if software would need to be reconfigured later to actually use them -- although the DVD-Audio standard has been published now)

3) "where will we have to send the units (what are the regional service locations that will do this)" and,

4) "how will a current owner initiate the upgrade process?" and,

5) "how long would we be without our RDC-7 if we decide to go with the upgrade?"

I'd hope they'd have a quick turn around procedure in place that still assures quality. Let's face it -- everything inside the unit is modular so it isn't like they have to unsolder individual transistors... :>)

I don't feel like they've really told us anything yet except for the price and general timing. So little is known about THX Ultra 2 that merely waving that under our noses does nothing to reassure us that the money is well spent. For instance, IHX Ultra 2 requires HD video switching with no loss of resolution. Integra Research claimed they already had that. Does the new standard require an even wider bandwidth than IR had built in, thus requiring modifications to the RDC-7's component switching facilities? Who knows?

We could be getting MAJOR processor and DAC upgrades -- or we may simply be paying THX some more licensing fees. :>) At least we can be pretty sure the THX option would be of "general benefit" (whatever that may be), since it appears that its 7.1 configuration can be applied to ALL 5.1 sources. Even less is known about DTS 96/24, what it requires in terms of hardware mods, and what kind of program software it will require to take advantage of whatever it actually is.

At least they edited the press release (which is almost word-for-word copied from the Integra Home Theater site announcement) so it didn't refer to Integra Research "receivers" like one of the previous ones did! (That must account for the week's delay in posting it on the IR site.) :>)

Burke

PS -- Please feel free to add your own observations / comments / concerns in response to either the press release or my comments (or both). :>)

Comment

• Razvan
                    • Jan 2002

"So Integra Research is NOT "screwing" its older customers by charging them extra for something new customers are "getting anyway", but rather with the introductory discounts offered, is actually offering us something of a break."

Yes, but I'm only interested in THX Ultra 2 and $300 is kind of too much for that. The subwoofer settings are a joke and the DTS thing is useless. I wonder if the upgrade will include a fix for the audio dropout problem? I also wonder if we could take our units to the service centers instead of shipping them.

Razvan

Comment

• ton1313
                      • Mar 2002

I have a service center 2 miles from where I work! But the customer service people that only selected sercicenters will be authorized to do the upgrade. There will be more info posted in @ 2 weeks for which service centers will be available.

Comment

• Lex
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Apr 2001

Well, I personally would rather have authorized centers do the upgrade, than someone saying "oh, maybe this is where that part goes" lol.

Upgrades are good, at least they haven't sold you out like Lexicon did the MC-1 users.

Lex
                        Doug
                        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Greg Staten
                          • Sep 2001

Okay gang, any idea where one can go to get good, hard information on what THX Ultra 2 brings to the table? The press release on THX's site doesn't really go into too much detail other than to proclaim how wonderful it is.

I'd love to read some hard data on just what it provides, especially if I'm going to tear the RDC out of my rack and send it somewhere to be upgraded.

-greg

Comment

• Razvan
                            • Jan 2002

Well, there's an authorized Integra service center close to where I live, it's called Hi-Fi Doctor. Let me tell you that they suck big time ( and they don't even speak English). It's basically a s--thole. I hope that we can send our units directly to Onkyo.

Razvan

Comment

• Steve Goff
                              • Feb 2002

I think that Integra Research is going to have four or five places do the upgrade, not all service centers. Judging from what they've said, it seems likely that this does not involve new DACs, which are not needed, but a new DSP board, one that it probably shares with the Integra 9.1 and the Onkyo 989. It seems likely that the old DSPs have simply run out of horsepower to handle the latest formats. I suspect that the new board will have at least one Crystal 49326, and likely two DSPs. The price is not high, if that is what the upgrade entails.

Steve Goff
                              Steve Goff

Comment

• dschamis
                                • Sep 2001

I think that this is great news, and I'm definately going to upgrade. For $250 its not even worth trying to figure out if it is worth the money or not.

I'm more worried about how long it going to take - it would be hard to be without the RDC-7 for too long.

David

Comment

• Razvan
                                  • Jan 2002

I read somewhere that in Italy the upgrade includes the fix for the audio dropouts in DD 5.1. It's probably the same upgrade as the one offered in the US.

Razvan

Comment

• Slingshot
                                    • May 2002

Just found this site and I'm glad I did. I am planning on purchasing the upgraded processor but very disappointed about the decision not to decrease crossover point below 80HZ.

I can't see many people using a higher crossover point which is what they are providing.

Also I read most of the threads and didn't seem to find any references to the IR RDA-7 amplifier. Does any one have one?

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                                      • Sep 2001

Well, today is the last day in May. If the upgrade is supposed to be available in June (which begins tomorrow) as they said it would be, then I'd expect an update to the "announcement" any time now. I hope they'll give us a little more substance regarding details of what is actually involved in the upgrade than they had in their 4/30/2002 press release.

Burke

Ps -- I know at least one of you has the RDA-7 amplifier. Could you share your impressions of it, perhaps in a new thread? Thanks.

Comment

• SiliGoose
                                        • Aug 2000

Who makes that amp for Onkyo? It's right at the tip of my tongue....errr.....

-Sili
                                        www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• SiliGoose
                                          • Aug 2000

is it Boulder?

-Sili
                                          www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Steve Goff
                                            • Feb 2002

The RDA-7 was designed by Victor Khomenko (and others, perhaps) at Balanced Audio Technologies, and may be built by them. I own one, and love it. When I have time I'll post my impressions in a new thread.

Steve Goff
                                            Steve Goff

Comment

• SiliGoose
                                              • Aug 2000

That's it! I knew it started with a "B".

-Sili
                                              www.campmurphy.net

Comment

Working...
                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                              Search Result for "|||"