X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jakermc
    • Nov 2001

THX Ultra 2

OK, I know the press release is still pretty fresh, but anyone know if the RDC-7 will be upgraded for THX Ultra 2? It sounds like the new processing is a serious departure from existing EX. From what I read, it is intended to process ALL 5.1 sources into 7.1. THX has also said that the old Ultra certification is dead and only 7.1 capable units would receive the new Ultra 2 badge.
  • Burke Strickland
    • Sep 2001

jakermc -

Good question -- thanks for posting it.

I think the only ones who can answer your question work for Integra Research, and they do not appear to be volunteering an answer here. :>) So I sent them an e-mail requesting an answer to how they will be addressing THX Ultra 2 -- software update, hardware upgrade, etcetera -- if at all.

I hope they cough up some info soon. :>) I'll post it here as soon as they do.

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• dschamis
      • Sep 2001

Burke,

That brings up an excellent point - I assume that you have made IR aware of this chat room, and they have decided not to particpate. I think that is a big mistake on their part - look at how active TiVo is on their chat room - I am 100% confident that that made a big difference for TiVo's following.

Maybe we should start an email campaign to IR, urging them to get more involved. Do you have any idea who the best person / people at IR would be to contact?

David

Comment

• Burke Strickland
        • Sep 2001

My statement about them not volunteering an answer here was an attempt at humor to set up the comment that I was sending a note to them with your question. Actually, I had not told them about Club Integra -- until now. I realized after I sent my inquiry that I had neglected to mention the Forum to them before. I've taken care of that with a follow-up note. So please do not start bombarding them with e-mail about this just yet. :>)

Burke

Comment

• Burke Strickland
          • Sep 2001

OK -- I've got some information from Onkyo/Integra's Product Support Manager, Lincoln Palmer, about THX Ultra 2 and the RDC-7. I also asked him about more flexible bass-management options, and unlike what some posts say that I've seen elsewhere, it has not been ruled out. (He also graciously granted permission to be quoted by name here with the info, which I requested in my second note, in which I informed him of "Club Integra".)

>At the moment we are looking at a new DTS upgrade that may include the THX
          >Ultra 2. It looks like this may not be a software upgrade. It may mean
          >taking the unit to a service location. Nothing is definite as of yet. Bass
          >management has been mentioned but nothing written in stone yet on that. It
          >is a wait and see issue at this time.
          So there you have it, direct from the source. I find this good news, even though indefinite. The issues are at least being considered. I think their track record so far indicates that this really reflects what is happening behind the scenes rather than just "blowing smoke" like some other vendors to deflect attention from their (other vendors') lack of a real update path.

Lincoln will probably be joining us in person after the holidays, but doesn't have a lot of time to browse the boards before then. So in the mean time, any posted questions we can't collectively answer,I'll funnel to him via e-mail, per his request, and post his responses here.

Thanks for reminding me of the need to let Integra Research know of "Club Integra"'s existence. In the long run, we will benefit from their direct interaction, and in the interim, they know the answers they give to questions from here that I field to them will be of value to a lot of folks with focused interest in their products. (These are my words, not Lincoln's.)

Burke

Comment

• Peter Allwin
            • Nov 2001

Great work Burke! It's really nice to see a forum with members that find things out instead of guessing!

I just ordered my RDC-7 two days ago, and right now it really feels i made the right choice!

/peter

Comment

• Leslie
              • Sep 2001

Burke
              Thanks for contacting IR. I'm very interested in any upgrade that might include bass management!
              Leslie

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"