X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dschamis
    • Sep 2001

Questions Regarding Zone 2 Operation

I am tempted to start messing with the Zone 2 opertaions, but I have a few questions:

1. Are there specific Zone 2 remote codes, or do you have to use Onkyo's multi-room system to have an input for the RDC-7's Zone 2 remote input? In other words, are there direct commands, or must you go through the Zone 2 remote input?

2. Does anyone know what the model number of the Onkyo multi-room system is, that works with the RDC-7?

3. What other key things do I need to know about Zone 2 operation?

Thanks,

David
  • Burke Strickland
    • Sep 2001

David -

I think the answer to question 1 is pretty well summed up in the quote from page 17 of the RCD-7's "Instruction Manual". You must use an add-on to the system for remote controlled operation. Otherwise, you will be limited to controlling Zone 2 via the front panel buttons.

* To be able to use the remote controller in the remote
    zone (Zone 2), you must connect one of the follow-ing
    (sold separately):
    • Integra’s Multi-Room System Kit (IR Remote Control-ler
    Extension System).
    • A multiroom A/V distribution and control system
    from Niles ® , Xantech ® , or the like.
    As for question 2, the multiroom kit, I believe either the HTK-600 http://www.onkyousa.com/show_model.cfm?class=multiroom&m=HKT-600 or the HKT-700 http://www.onkyousa.com/show_model.cfm?class=multiroom&m=HKT-700 is what you are looking for, but I do not know for sure. I have contacted Onkyo Customer Support with the following message:
    Are the HTK-600 and HTK-700 multiroom kits the ones to use with the Integra Research RDC-7 for Zone 2 operation? If not, what is the correct model number, and where would I get further information on this?

Thanks -

Burke
    I'll let you know how they respond.

As for question 3, the major key thing to keep in mind is that the Zone 2 and Record Out functions share the same circuitry and therefore cannot be operated at the same time (with regard to selecting different sources), although when Zone 2 is selected, the Zone 2 source is also output via the Record Out jacks, so if you want to record the same thing you are listening to in Zone 2, no problem... other wise you will have to wait for one or the other.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• dschamis
      • Sep 2001

I just ordered the HKT-700, so we'll see how well it works.

I think it ships from CA, but I ordered it UPS Red, and they claim that they ship it same day, so I should have it by Friday when I get back home (I'm traveling righ now).

I'll report back.

David

Comment

• Burke Strickland
        • Sep 2001

David -

Onkyo Customer Support e-mailed me back, and confirmed that the HKT-700 is the one to get, so you are a step ahead of the game already having one on order. I'll be interested in hearing how it works for you.

Burke

Comment

• dschamis
          • Sep 2001

OK - I'm still working thru a bunch of issues and options, but I have one key question now:

I have my DVD hooked up to the Component input right now on the RDC-7 for main room watching purposes. But, when I'm in the 2nd zone, I want to watch the DVD via the S-Video input (since the RDC-7 couldn't output the Component video to Zone 2).

This doesn't seem to work - anyone have any ideas?

David

Comment

• Burke Strickland
            • Sep 2001

David -

Is the TV connected via the S-Video "Zone 2" output? This is in the set of connectors right above "Video 1" and right under the "Monitor Out" composite and S-Video jacks on the rear panel. (In the column of S-Video jacks, the "Zone 2" output jack is the third one down.)

Presumably your DVD player would be connected to the "DVD" inputs, (including the S-Video input), which are at the bottom of the panel (same input for Zones 1 & 2 and Record -- which of these is used for output is selected on the front panel). Note that for an S-Video signal to be output, an S-Video signal must be input. IWO, the RDC-7 does not convert between composite/S-Video/component.

With everything connected, on the front panel, you would select "Zone 2", then select "DVD" as the input and the "DVD" indicator light will be green (showing that the "DVD" source is being routed to Zone 2). Whatever video device is connected to the Zone 2 output should now be showing the DVD program.

Hope this helps...

Burke

Comment

• dschamis
              • Sep 2001

OK - here's another questions for the group:

When I use an input (ie DVD), which triggers my power amp (via Trigger A), is there any way to not trigger the amp when its only being used in Zone 2?

This would avoid powering up the amps, when I'm not even in the room.

David

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"