X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gremal
    • Apr 2007

DTC 9.8 question

Anyone know if there's a way to set up the Integra to send the surround channels on 5.1 tracks to the rear surround speakers of a 7.1 setup instead of the side surround speakers? I moved to a 7.1 setup after encountering blu-ray discs with 7.1 early in the format's launch (e.g., Pan's Labyrinth). I thought 7.1 would become the norm, but that has not happened. All the BDs I've bought in the past year are 5.1 and I'm tired of addressing this by using the speaker cable inputs on my amp to power the rear surround speakers since my Integra preamp is set up to send the surround signal of 5.1 tracks to the side surrounds. There must be a way to set it up differently for 5.1 vs 7.1 without completely changing the speaker setup but so far I haven't figured out how to do that.
    Integrated 7.1 HT and Two-Channel System
    Pioneer KRP-600M | VAC Phi Beta 110i | to be determined front end
    B&W 802D | B&W HTM1D | B&W ASW-825 | B&W N805 | B&W SCM1
    VPI Scout | Oppo BDP-95 | Tivo Series 3 | Integra DTC-9.8
    Audio Refinement Multi-5 | PS Audio Premier | Goertz and Electra Glide cables
  • Audiophiliac
    • Apr 2006

Your post is a little confusing. You now have side and rear surrounds, yes? Are you wanting to eliminate a pair? Do you want the rear surrounds to play the same signal as the side surrounds? Do you just want the rear surrounds to be your only surround speakers? What is your goal here?

Comment

• Gremal
      • Apr 2007

In other words, the preamp is set up for 7.1. For all 5.1 discs, the rear surrounds get no signal because the Integra assigns surround duties to the side surrounds. Ideally, the surround duties would go to the rear in 5.1 not to the side. So basically what I want the Integra to do is stop treating my side surrounds like rear surrounds for 5.1 content.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2006

The 9.8 is doing the correct thing as 5.1 surround is not meant to be sent to the rear and there is no way to do what you want without switching or re-wiring.

OTOH, you can use Dolby EX or THX Surround EX to expand 5.1 to 7.1 if you find that more pleasing.
        Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Audiophiliac
          • Apr 2006

I see what you are saying now. Thanks for clarifying. Kal is right and the Integra is doing it properly.

In a 5.1 system, the surrounds are ideally to be placesd 100-110 degrees from the seating position (according to Dolby Labs). In a 7.1 system, Dolby recommends the surrounds to be 90-100 degrees and the rear surrounds 135-150.

If your "side" surround speakers are around 100 degrees from the seating position, they will be in the proper place for both 5.1 and 7.1 speaker layouts (again this is using Dolby recommendations).

I prefer to listen to 5.1 material in its native format...however, the Dolby EX and other modes available will let you steer the surround information to the rear surrounds as well, as Kal stated. The manual for the 9.8 does a decent job of explaining all the sound modes you can pick from. Best thing is to play a familiar movie with good surround effects and flip through all the different modes and find one that sounds good to you.

Comment

• Gremal
            • Apr 2007

Thanks for the replies. I knew the Integra was doing the 5.1 right but just wondered whether there was a way to reassign the side surrounds to rear surrounds for certain codecs. Should have worded the question that way in the first place. I tried the THX Surround EX but it does not create discrete content for the rear surrounds. I'd rather sell my side surrounds and go back to 5.1 but maybe I should wait to see if more 7.1 content is coming before making a decision.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2006

So, you prefer to put the side surround signals in the rear. In my experience, that creates problems for lateral imaging.
              Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Gremal
                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
                So, you prefer to put the side surround signals in the rear. In my experience, that creates problems for lateral imaging.
                Due to room constraints, my rear surrounds are closer to the 110 degree recommendation for side surrounds.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"