Proceed CDD - skipping & F3 error - repair or not?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • timjclark
    • Apr 2009

Proceed CDD - skipping & F3 error - repair or not?

Hi y'all,

I have a Proceed CDD (transport) which has had intermittent skipping which is getting worse - a skip or two on just about every disk. From what I have been reading, this indicates that the laser is getting weak and the entire Philips CD module needs to be replaced.

Can anyone confirm what Philips CD module is used? I believe it is the CD-PRO, but in conversation with a local service tech here in Atlanta, he thinks the CD-PRO is only about 8 years old and the CDD's were produced from 1995 to 2002.

A second question, when I get a power flicker, my unit displays an F3 error code and will not operate again unless I pull the power cord for an hour or so. Does anyone know what this code means?

I guess the bottom line question would be if it is worth it to get this repaired...

Any Proceed peeps out there??

Thank you,

tim
    -B&W: 803S, HTM4S, M-1
    -Proceed: CDD, PDP, PRE, AMP-2, AMP-3
    -Rotel: RSP-1069
    -Sony: PS3, KDF-E42A10

Office system:
    -Arcam DV-89, AVR100
    -B&W LM-1, AS-1
  • hifiguymi
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2007

If I remember correctly the mechanism was a Philips CDM4. It's been so long since I've sold them I can't say for sure, but I think that is correct.

As for the F3 error, I don't know what that means. I don't remember any error codes at all.

Eric

Comment

• timjclark
      • Apr 2009

Hi Eric!

In the past couple of weeks I've done much research and almost have a solution. The CDD has a CDM12 IND in it. And most of the reading that I have done points to the laser fading, it looks like the best bet is to get that replaced. I found a company in San Fran that will replace the laser assembly and the motor for $70 plus shipping which I think is outstanding!

From my research, it appears that Madrigal modified the philips cd module, so dropping in a new CD2PROLF (the current model) is not an option.

So, I opened up my CDD this week to take out the CD Module to ship it out for repair, but I have no idea how to get it out. Might you (or anyone) have some idea of how to take it out?

I can post photo's of the internals if that would help jog anyones memory. I'm comfortable with computer repairs that do not involve soldering, so I figure this is not beyond me, but I also want the unit functional when I finish, so I'm being conservative on the take apart.

Thank you!

Tim

Office system:
      -Arcam DV-89, AVR100
      -B&W LM-1, AS-1

Comment

• hifiguymi
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2007

I've looked inside of the CDD, which was a LONG time ago so I don't remember much, but I've never worked on one so I have no idea where to tell you to start. Have you tried calling Mark Levinson and asking them about it? I hope you can get it figured out.

On a side note, did you ever come up with a work around for the trigger on your amps? I wish Proceed didn't use a pulse and did it like the rest of the world.

Eric

Comment

• timjclark
          • Apr 2009

The CDD has been repaired!!!

I got my CDD back from a local repair service this past Saturday. I took my CDD to Modulular Electronics in Roswell, GA after talking with Benny there about my situation. He said that he had a source for a CDM12 but I warned him that from what I had read on the web that Madrigal had modified it and that it would not simply swap in. I gave him the information from Pinvan and told him to have at it.

So Benny purchased a new CDM and discovered that the cd clamp is different. [I think that is what he said] Regardless, Benny took the laser assembly from the new module and moved it into my existing transport.

And voila, my CDD lives. The total repair cost was $275 (that's parts & labor)!

I asked Benny what he had to take apart to get the cd module out and it was way more involved that I imagined - it was basically a full disassembly of the unit. I'm glad that I aborted my attempts to get the CDM12 out of there.

Here is the contact information:
          Modular Electronics
          (770)410-1122
          www.aminaaudio.com/service.htm...

Tonight will be my first extended listening session - I cannot wait!!!

So there is hope to get your CDD/CDP's repaired without paying $1200!

Office system:
          -Arcam DV-89, AVR100
          -B&W LM-1, AS-1

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"