X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Cheap pronto's from Philips!

Anyone looking for a cheap Philips pronto?

TSU1000

Some people have reported that philips even sent them 2000 model instead of the 1000 (not that its much different)

• Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Nice deal really

Cable Guy DVD Collection
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Energeezer
      • Sep 2002

Andrew
      I just ordered my remote. Will I need any accessories?
      Steve

The Future of HT lies in FP SPREAD THE WORD
      The Future of HT lies in FP SPREAD THE WORD

Comment

• SiliGoose
        • Aug 2000

Cool!
        Download ProntoEdit and you're set. The recharging cradle is nice but not necessary (the Pronto isn't much of a battery hog).

-Sili
        www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Steve the best accessory you'll need is a set of bulk AA batteries. I've found the yellow ones from superstore are cheap and last a long time for a knock off brand. You should get 4-6 months from a set of batteries though so its not like the old Marantz MK1 remotes that could eat a set in a night As goose mentioned download pronto edit 4 (link on my site) and just start playing with it. There's no reason why you couldn't have the CCF file built and ready to go before your remote even ships.

Comment

• Burke Strickland
            • Sep 2001

Originally posted by Andrew Pratt
            Some people have reported that philips even sent them 2000 model instead of the 1000 (not that its much different)
            If you are planning to program the Pronto from scratch or use/modify someone else's template, then there really isn't any difference between the 1000 and the 2000. However, if you re looking for something that can be used almost "out of the box" to control multiple components without any programming other than "highlight and select", the 2000 has a huge built-in data base that covers the basic (plus a lot of not-so-basic) commands for a wide range of components.

The "default" 2000 command scheme for a particular component won't look pretty, but it will work, if you've selected the right one from the choices offered. (They give you a chance to test it before "installing" it from the database to the user interface.) And somewhere down the road, you'll still probably want to customize it to cut down on the number of screens you have to navigate to get to the commands you actually use. (The 2000 generates a bunch of pages to hold all those commands it has available for a given component and they may not be arranged in the most intuitive fashion -- that 's where a skilled/experienced Pronto programmer can be a real help.)

At any rate, if you are looking for a 1000, can't beat that good deal!

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• SayersWeb
              • Dec 2002

What does model this lack compared to the more expensive models? Functionality-wise are there any limitations?

Thanx!

Sayer - Musical Creations and Home Page

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

That depends on which more expensive models you're talking about. If you're refering to the TSU6000 then it would lack the colour screen, rf support and two less hard keys that the 6000 offers. Other then that they're essentially the same. There's a new model (TSU3000) that is just coming out now that offers more hard keys and looks pretty cool...the only issue at the moment though is that its software is very buggy. The 3000 model is currently selling for $400 I think which is only a little less then a colour pronto from ebay.

Comment

• SayersWeb
                  • Dec 2002

Ok, just went through the online demo and it answered my questions!

I now have two TSU1000 on the way!!!!

Comment

• SiliGoose
                    • Aug 2000

Hopefully this will be the start of a trend, rather than simply a close out of a model. (though I doubt it)

The Pronto is a fantastic product but it is way over priced. Especially now that new remote apps for PocketPC devices (coming soon to Palm PDAs) can use Pronto .ccf files and out-perform any Pronto on the market for several hundred dollars less.

I can buy a $300 Compaq iPaq and do everything the Pronto Pro does. I can spend a little more and get limited two-way communication between my HTPC and my iPaq (read which track I have playing on the iPaq's screen via TCP/IP, for example).

While I love my Pronto -it's days are numbered.

-Sili
                    www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

and out-perform any Pronto on the market for several hundred dollars less.
                      Untill they make PDA's with an IR strenght that's as strong as the pronto's with out having to resort to some bulky add on I think the pronto's will continue to do well...but you're right prices have got to drop before they'll really be accepted by the masses. Interestingly enought though if you consider that buying the pronto for me started out as a need and turned into a way to pay for my other toys the pronto has made me way more money then it initially cost :LOL: I wonder if I can use that logic to buy a new 3000 since its new software

Comment

• SiliGoose
                        • Aug 2000

We would all be so lucky to use one of our "toys" to make enough money to pay for itself!

I don't know if you've used the newer iPaqs but they have much more powerful IR emitters. In a normal sized living room an average user wouldn't see much difference in the IR power of an iPaq and a Pronto. That said, you would need an IR repeater if you had a larger room.

I use my Clie to change the channel at sports bars. It's good fun.

-Sili
                        www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

My IPAQ is a 3650 so its a little older. I'd like to try one of the new ones though

Comment

• SayersWeb
                            • Dec 2002

I showed a friend the link and he ordered one of these remotes. He showed two other friends and they each ordered one...

Andrew, what is your affiliation with the Pronto?

Comment

• Mats
                              Special Member
                              • Jun 2000

:?: what ipaq model would you suggest, and is there downloadable sw that would enable this as a remote? if i'm going to drop a few hundred on a remote, might as well get some additional use out of it!
                              Mats
                              Mats Strömberg
                              Ah! It's a profit deal! Takes the pressure off! Get your weight guessed right here! Only a buck! Actual live weight guessing! Take a chance and win some crap!
                              Navin R Johnson (alias Steve Martin)

Comment

• Lex
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Apr 2001

I use my Clie to change the channel at sports bars. It's good fun.

:LOL:

Good one.

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
                                Doug
                                "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2000

Andrew, what is your affiliation with the Pronto?
                                  I custom program these as a side business to fund my upgrade projects but I have no actual affiliation with philips at all.

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"