X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Weird thing happened with my Integra DTR 6.4

Yesterday, my receiver was in DVD input, multichannel analogue mode with the Pure Audio mode selected and when I tried to select another input with my remote, nothing happened. I checked the batteries and tried again, nothing. I pushed buttons on the receiver and nothing happened either (including the power button). I unplugged the power cord from the back and re-plugged it. This cured the receiver from its "frozen" state, but all my settings were gone and all the factory defaults were in place. I've reset everything and it all seems to work fine, but the whole thing seems weird. Should I be worried about it happening again? Has anyone else experienced this?
  • Burke Strickland
    • Sep 2001

Paul,

I've heard about that sort of thing happening if the unit gets overheated. Since a receiver has the amplifiers built in, it should be WELL ventilated -- plenty of space above and around it, nothing sitting on top of it (such as another component or stacks of DVDs), nothing obstructing air flow around it.

If the unit is running cool and still does that, you may have accidentally pushed the command buttons too many times too quickly and overloaded the internal control circuits that way. When that happens, the "fix" is exactly what you did.

If neither of those explains it, you may have had a momentary power surge that zapped the unit enough to freeze it up but not enough to destroy it. However, you probably would have noticed other symptoms of the surge such as the room lights blinking or the refrigerator exploding. :>)

If the unit is running cool, and you are carefully and slowly executing the command sequences, and the power seems OK, yet the condition reoccurs frequently, then either space aliens have invaded the unit, or it is defective. Even if it is under warranty, Integra will probably not help with the first, :>) but they could perhaps be of assistance with the second of those possibilities.

Good luck!

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Ovation
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

I may have overloaded the command circuits with the remote. The receiver is not in a great "line of sight" for the remote (my left front speaker blocks it from most angles as taken from the centre seat--long story) and I pressed a number of buttons rather repeatedly that morning. It has not happened again (the unit runs cool--no obstructions on or around it) but it seems a tad slower to black out the main display when I select Pure Audio. Oh well, I'll keep my fingers crossed (don't have the budget to replace that baby anytime soon--not with a six month old and a kid headed off to private school in the fall).

Comment

• Ovation
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

Well, it's a bit over a year later and I'm happy to report the problem has never recurred (that should be reassuring to anyone contemplating an Integra purchase). I'm quite happy with the receiver and hope to keep it around for a long time. After three years with it, I can report that this one time glitch is the only trouble I've ever had worth noting. I would not hesitate to buy another Integra , so long as it has the features I want when I do upgrade (someday...don't need a new one now since this one is so good).

Comment

• John Holmes
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

It's nice to hear/read when things are going great with equipment. We tend to only post when we need help or things are truly bad. Thanks for the follow-up!

Enjoy :T
          "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Ovation
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2004

It's true we often read about troubles. I could say equally nice things about my Marantz DV6400 (used for hi-res audio duties, primarily) and my Cambridge Audio 540D (region-free and an excellent audio section for redbook playback), my speakers...

I've had issues with gear over the years, but I have to say my current set up pleases me to no end. I will add to it (to get HD capability) but unless something stops working, I see no need to replace anything for some time to come.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"