X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Punkuk
    • Aug 2004

Does The 9.1 have a Pass Through

I am looking to add a pair of Carey Sixpac Tube amps to my existing system. This is mainly due to wanting a different sound than the 9.1 gives me.
    I was going to connect them through the front speaker aux out.

I have ask this same question to a couple of Hi Fi nuts and they all say the same get an amp with a "pass through then to a tube pre amp solely for the music.
    So does the 9.1 have a pass through option if so how do I go about connecting or setting it up.
  • Burke Strickland
    • Sep 2001

Typically when using a pass through-capable controller, the front speakers are always driven by the same power amp, but the source signal is routed differenctly depending on whether you are doing movie surround sound or "audiophile" two channel. Volume for sources connected to the multi-channel pre/pro or receiver, such as the DVD player, are controlled by it, while that component's controls and signal processing circuits are bypassed for use with two channel sound and the signal fed from the other preamp (which presumably has the turntable and/or high level CD player connected) passes through to the stereo amp driving the front L/R main channels.

The DTR-9.1 does not have an actual pass-through function built in. But basically when you are listening to your two channel recordings via the tube-based components, you want the signal to "pass through" the 9.1 without being affected by its signal circuitry. You can achieve that kind of connection with the front two main channels driven by your external power amp(s) and using one of the line level inputs for the output from your tube pre-amp. Then when selecting that input, use the "Direct" mode.

It appears that you may have already figured out one of the alternative set-ups that can accomplish that. Actually the simplest way to get the tube sound from the amps without adding too much complexity to your setup would be to forego the tube preamp, connect the tube amps via the 9.1's left and right front pre outs and use "Direct" mode with the CD player and turntable connected to the 9.1

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Punkuk
      • Aug 2004

Thanks Burk
      That was what I figured.
      The reason I ask is I am not happy with the 9.1 sound for my music even in direct mode so I was looking at trying tubes
      I have just purchased a pair of Carey sixpac mono blocks and was going to go the route you suggested.

But if I did want to use a tube pre-amp can I use the same outputs into the preamp first then to the Monoblocks I am looking at at a Cary SLP-50B for the Pre amp

Thanks for the responce as I may be way off here and do not want to go waisting my money or worst hooking it up and it going BANG!!
      Last edited by Punkuk; 12 March 2006, 10:35 Sunday. Reason: Format

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"