X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • emerson
    • Sep 2004

update to RDC 7.1 from 7.0

Well, I said I wouldn't,, but I did..

I bought the d**n thing anyway,, so,, now I've got the 7.1, fully loaded.

In many way's a step forward, I can really use the added videoswitching,
    I can really use the more exact stepping of speaker distance AND crossover.
    These are a couple of the pro's..

Con's so far...?
    Well, first,, somehow,, maybe some tuning is needed, but,, somehow
    the 7.0 sounded "better" ..??,,,can't say exactly how or why...
    And,, the new remote....,, it IS a disaster,, to save time,, I stand up and go to the RDC and push the buttons instead...,,

Then,, I also wonder,, the 7.0 used upsamling of PCM tracks,
    does the 7.1 do that..:??, can't find any info about it...
    Also,, the 7.0 had support for AC3/RF, as I have a LD player that could be off use,, can't say that I've figured out if the 7.1 has it or not...
  • Burke Strickland
    • Sep 2001

Since I'm not willing to give up great sound just for the convenience of HDMI switching in my pre/pro, I'd be really interested in what ways the 7.0 sounds "better" than the 7.1. In otehr words, it'll be good to know I won't have to spend a lot more money to have the pre/pro I'll want to stay with for a while. :>)r.

Although at least one former 7.0 owner claimed the 7.0 "compressed" the midrange with digital sources under certain conditions, I could never detect that effect, and found the 7.0's two channel sound to either be the equal of or better than a number of highly regarded two channel pre-amps that I had auditioned on both digital and analog sources. So when you have had a chance to do some more listening and tweaking, I'll look forward to your report on exactly how the 7.0 sounds "better".

Thanks,

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• emerson
      • Sep 2004

Initial reactions ?

1. For a time,, I actually had a Krell KCT pre-amp together with
      a FPB300Cx,, = quite OK stuff. Beeing more and more surround and
      movies,, I simply sold the krell pre-amp and went straight with the
      RDC7.0. A difference Yes,, but,, the RDC7 IS/was a great pre-amp,
      it really was a great choice when feed the digital signal directly to run
      CD's. So,, did NOT miss the krell that much after all.

7.1 compared to the 7.0 so far,
      The high frequenies (excuse the spelling..) are somewhat more "sharp"
      I have NOT reacted to any compression in the midrange as you neither have.
      Second issue is that the sound seems "lighter" bass-wise than the 7.0,
      this off course can be adjusted since my speakers have an integrated controll
      of the integrated sub,, still,, with the same setup otherwise,, the sound now IS less powerfull in the bottomrange...,, That could off course be an example of the opposite, meaning that it is more correct and I just have to adjust my speakers accordingly.,,,

Main issue still,, on higher soundlevels,, for the first time voices can feel to sharp, which was NOT an issue I hade before...,,

But,, as stated,, it's "new",, so,, probably after tuning and some run-in time,
      it might behave better. The remote though,, that IS a lost cause....

For those who don't know, the new remote does NOT have directchoice button's for each input. Instead you have a wheel that chooses both wich input and what the remote should controll.
      In reality this means that you more or less browse trough all the inputs to go from one choice to another. Might not be a big issue itself, BUT,
      Im using 12 triggers for all my Mono-blocks, so,, If I go from a configured source as DVD and I pass V1,V2,V3,,etc, on my way to the CD, the pre-amp will apply each configuration for each Input on the way. This meaning that my amps will power off and power on again at least once on the way...,

To go around this I have to configure all sources, whether used or not, or simply delete the source from the remote (which I just found out can be done)

Will update this thread when I know more..

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"