X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wca156
    • Jun 2005

B&K or Rotel

I had previously decided on Rotel components but have had problems with the processor. I have been given the opportunity to replace the RSP 1068, RM 1075 and because I have two zones (outside speakers) a RM 1050. In place of these components I would get the B&K AVR 507 S2. My other components include:

Front B&W 803S
    Centre B&W HTM3S
    Rear B&W CCM 65
    CD Rotel RCD 1072
    DVD Sony (older)
    XM Radio Polk Audio XRt12

I would appriciate any input I might get.
    Bill
  • wca156
    • Jun 2005

One more thing for this post, I am about 50% audio and 50% vidio. Thanks for the input.
    Bill

Comment

• RenoReno2
      • Jan 2005

Tough choice, while I own a B&K ref 50 s2 and 125.7 s2 I've listened to Rotel and they are both really good. personally my opinion for surround go with B&K and for music go with Rotel. Since your 50/50 your best bet is to demo each piece with your equipment and see what you like better.

Best of Luck on your purchase

Comment

• Dmantis
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jun 2004

Agreed,
        You can't go wrong with B&K or Rotel . I have owned both and like many different things about them.

Again the best way is to hear your speakers with both and decide that way. Also make sure the one you pick has the features you need/ want.

Comment

• Hoopofficial
          • Dec 2004

I too have had both. Rotel 1066 and currently the Ref 50. I prefer the Ref 50 hands down for HT and music. My 1066 was rather flat and lacked the punch that my B&K delivers. I hear that the 1066 was flawed so maybe they corrected the 1068.

Comment

• wca156
            • Jun 2005

Thanks for the input. I know that new components for all companies have failures, but after being bitten by the Rotel 1067 and reading some of the problems that others have had with this unit I opted for a change. However, I love the 1072 CD player. (The B&W 803S speakers, the 1072 and the 1067 in bypass mode makes Diana Krall - Live in Paris seem like she is in my house.)

I have ordered the B&K and will have it shortly. Although I haven't been able to read much on the AVR 507 S2 I have read reviews on the Ref 50. Other that the amplifier it is the same unit. I think that it has everything I need, and more. I'm confident that this is the correct choice for me.
            Bill

Comment

• lvhung
              • Jun 2005

Originally posted by Hoopofficial
              I too have had both. Rotel 1066 and currently the Ref 50. I prefer the Ref 50 hands down for HT and music. My 1066 was rather flat and lacked the punch that my B&K delivers. I hear that the 1066 was flawed so maybe they corrected the 1068.

Rotel 1066 quite abit of picky with the IC
              when I changed the IC from Chord to Kimber it give the bass is quite ........
              10 % ( not exactly) more increased in quantity
              :B :T

Comment

• lvhung
                • Jun 2005

PS: choosing amplifier is hugely dependent on speakers

Comment

• Dmantis
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jun 2004

The ref50 and the avr507 share the same exact preamp to the T. There is nothing different. They build there receivers with the same exact care that goes into there seperates. I know this for a fact as I watched a preamp come out of a chassis and go right into a avr chassis.

I did a tour of B&K along with a training session in Buffalo NY. They care very much about there sound quality.

Good luck with your new purchase.

Comment

• Lex
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Apr 2001

lvhung, this was not about interconnects, at all, this was a straight up component comparison. It is safe to assume that interconnect issues can come to light with any products for better or for worse, so your mention of specifics regarding Rotel here was not required or asked for as it is specific to your own system, not his.

If hoop official's personal experience was, the component change produced desired results using same cables, then that is his conclusion. You can't overcome that by now saying his cables were somehow inferior for the job by saying how great yours is with cable X, they were likely the same cables he used on both systems, so for his system, I for one trust his judgement.
                    Doug
                    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• lvhung
                      • Jun 2005

Appolozie me, Lex

From now on I will not talk to any detailed brand of any cables

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"