X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • senorjim
    • Nov 2004

B&K Click Problem

I just bought an AVR507 S1 that was manufactured in 03. The sound is amazing with my Vienna speakers. My only problem is when I switched or turn on my CD/SACD/DVD (also other audio units) I get a click noise. The noise is not too bad, but when you spend good money on a unit you expect no problems.

I called B&K and they have confirmed that there is a fix to the problem. I told them that my unit has the latest firmware 2.02, so I shouldn't have that problem. They told me the firmware was not the problem but some board that needs to be soder. I could send it to them but the unit will not be returned to me in about a month. If I decide to keep it, could the clicking cause problems to my speakers or other devices? The reason, I want to keep it so I can send it in when the S2 upgrade available. That way both items could be done, saves the shipping cost and unit out for such a long time. Any feedback will be well appreciated. Peace.

• Patt
    • Feb 2005

Hi Jim,

My reciever is an inexpensive Denon and it "clicks" quite loudly when changing through the sources everytime.
    ......Pat

Comment

• Kens1
      • Mar 2005

Yeah, my old Kenwood clicked quite loudly whenever I switched sources or everytime it read Dolby Pro Logic at the beginning of a DVD and when it would go into Dolby Digital or DTS. It seemed it was clicking all the bloody time - I don't miss that thing one bit!
      Anyways, if it is the same clicking I experienced it did not damage the speakers because it seemed to actually be coming from inside the unit itself.
      However, if B&K says there is a fix to this problem it obviously ain't suppose to operate that way. If the clicking is coming from your speakers and it sounds quite loud and harsh I wouldn't chance waiting as it might damage the speakers. If is not actually coming through the speakers I would wait until you can get both upgrades done at the ame time. Nothing worse than parting with your gear for a month - especially twice.

Comment

• stringzz
        • Apr 2005

My Bryston sp1.7 processor clicks loudly too! It clicks on DVD's, DTS CD's and changing the channel on TV/SAT mode. Luckily, the latest software has a feature to turn off the auto sensing feature. I just ordered the upgrade (2 new boards for only $50!!). I think all the manufacturers should address this. Can you imagine hearing the loud click on every channel change? Annoying.

Comment

• Hoopofficial
          • Dec 2004

My new Ref 50 does not click through the speakers. My old one did. I believe the click was due to the discrete nature of the circuit. I would send it to B&K. Call them and they may send you a pre-paid shipping label. They did for me when I was having issues with an audio drop. Their products are quircky but they stand behind them 100%.

Comment

• senorjim
            • Nov 2004

Hoopofficial... You are right. I will send it in and get the problem fix, regardless if the clicks are not too bad. Hopefully, I get the pre-paid shipping label. I will update everyone on what they tell me and if the problem is fixed.

Thank you all for the responses....

Comment

• senorjim
              • Nov 2004

Hoopofficial... Just wanted to let you know that I called it in today and they tell me that a new update 2.03 just came out last week. The B&K technical person tells me that the new version is supposed to help out with the click noise but not eliminate it completely (different from what they told me last week)... The only time you are supposed to hear the click is when you power the unit, standby on, or change from digital signal (CD from SACD). The click is only supposed to come out from the unit and not the speakers.... Do you have the same situation with your unit??? Let me know, because I will be shipping it this week.

Comment

• Hoopofficial
                • Dec 2004

Senorjim, I do not have a click problem through the speakers. Sometimes it clicks from the unit itself but have not diagnosed fully when it happens. It happens very infrequently. My old unit clicked everytime you changed and input source (cd to DVD, etc). Version upgrades are great. I am just concerned that one thing will be fixed and something else will be broken. Like I said in a previous post, I had an very annoying audio drop that went away once they sent me a new unit.

Right know I have two issues that I am living with but eventually need to be fixed. I have an dead IR repeater that I don't use right now and an intermittent loud noise that happens if I change audio source on the fly. What I mean by that is if I am watching a DVD in 2.1 but switch to 3.2 without going through the DVD menu. Sometimes the B&K will omit a loud noise (SCREECH) to My speakers. Obviously I avoid doing that all the time. I don't need to pop a tweeter. I hesitate sending it back because I do not want to risk getting the audio drop issue back again. Now that was something I could not live with.

Good luck and I hope they fix your problem.

Comment

• senorjim
                  • Nov 2004

Thanks Hoopofficial... I will let you know how the 507 sounds after B&K does the 2.03 upgrade. If they do a good job, I will more likely get the S2 upgrade. It will be around $500 according to B&K. Peace

Comment

• senorjim
                    • Nov 2004

Hoopofficial,

I've got my receiver back and it has the new 2.03 upgrade on my AVR507 S1. I dont notice any difference from the 2.02 upgrade, because the click is still there just not as loud as before when I would change from an analog signal to digital one.....

It took sometime to tweak it, but now that I have it set-up for some reason it sounds better (possibly because I didnt have a receiver for awhile). The sound is amazing, as for the click it doesnt matter because the click is only when I change from CD/DVD to SACD/DVD-A in my Denon 2900 (Universal Player).

I hope this information helps... Peace

Senorjim

Comment

• bimmer528
                      • Sep 2004

Probally the biggest b&k complaint I have read over the past couple years.. Actually the only one

I know thier referance 1 preamp clicked. So many complained and the referance 2 fixed it. It has something to do with the type of selector they use er... something. I do believe all the new b&k product's don't click anymore and was very common in thier earlier stuff.

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"