X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Peter Nielsen
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Parasound A51 question

Easy question for you A51 owners: How deep is the A51 when *not* including the heat sink fins or handles on the back panel? (Alternatively, how much does the heat sink and handles stick out on the back?)

I'm trying to figure out if the unit will fit in my rack with XLR connectors or if I will be forced to go with RCA...

Thanks,
    Peter
  • nicholtl
    • Aug 2003

It's 20 inches deep. The heat sinks are about 2.5-3 inches, I believe.

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

Yup, these puppies are NOT small. I ended up pulling my rack out from the wall a bit more to accommodate the depth of my Parasound components. Depending on what DVD player I go with, it may be necessary for that too.

For those who can adjust their racks for Parasound, it's worth it.
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• nicholtl
        • Aug 2003

I don't own the most expensive of racks, it's simply a large and heavy wooden cabinet with a tinted glass magnetic door and a thick cardboard insert for the rear. I ended up having to bust out my trusty Swiss Army Knife and cut out slots in the cardboard for the heat sinks, not to mention an additional opening for where my power cable stuck out from.

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2004

Originally posted by nicholtl
          It's 20 inches deep. The heat sinks are about 2.5-3 inches, I believe.
          Yeah, I know it's 20 inches deep. So is my rack.

The question is: will standard NEUTRIK XLR connectors stick out, or are the heat sinks so big that the Neutriks don't cause any additional overhead?

If the rear heatsinks indeed stick out 2.5-3 inches, then it will not be a problem at all. However, if the heat sinks are only 2 inches, the Neutriks will probably stick out and I will have to remove the rear handle and use 90 degree angled Neutriks...

I would appreciate it if somebody could give me a more exact measurement of how much the rear heatsink sticks out -- then I could go ahead and order the Neutriks (otherwise I will have to order the cables after I've received the units and just have my new C2/A51 sitting there for a week or two waiting for cabels...)

Thanks,
          Peter
          Last edited by Peter Nielsen; 10 September 2004, 13:21 Friday. Reason: Typos

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

I measured it today, and came out with about 2 and 3/16 inches. (round it off to 2.5 inches) Yes, I think cables will stick out a bit farther behind than the heat sinks. This isn't really a bad thing.
            CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
            - Pleasantville

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
              Super Senior Member
              • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Chris Dotur
              I measured it today, and came out with about 2 and 3/16 inches.
              Thanks Chris! Much appreciated! :^x

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                Super Senior Member
                • Sep 2004

Ok, today I got my A51, so now I can tell y'all the specifics:

A standard NEUTRIK XLR connector will align precisely with the rear heatsink, not considering the cable. Thus, assuming that the cable can be bent by 90 degrees, only the thickness of the cable itself need to be added as required extra depth. For instance, if using Canare StarQuad cable with your Neutriks, add ½ inch to the depth of the A51 and you're ok!

Note, however, that the shipped power cable will extrude at least as much as the Neutrik XLR connectors. However, as a remedy, the power cable can of course be replaced for a cable with an angled connector so this is less of a problem.

Peter

Comment

• nicholtl
                  • Aug 2003

You're using Canare Cable too? I was using that too, very good stuff, but then I upgraded to PS Audio's xStream XLR cables.

Comment

• glgluxy
                    • Oct 2004

nicholtl,

I notice you have Klipsch speakers also. Do you here a hiss using the xlr connections?
                    – Chris

Comment

• nicholtl
                      • Aug 2003

I don't, actually, but I used to, and I'll explain that.

I used to have the slightest of hisses, but considering XLR's are supposed to introduce a +6dB gain, not to mention Klipsch's sensitivity ratings, I wasn't too surprised. But I can't say I was all too pleased, either.

The addition of a Monster HTPS 7000 line conditioner, and the AVS 2000 voltage stabilizer, along with all PS Audio power cables running everything, basically brought the noise level from slight to zero. Only if I crank the level of the preamp up really, REALLY high, and then put my source material on pause, do I hear a minor hiss coming through the speakers. This, however, I think is normal for any speaker and any equipment. I have no yet integrated my new PS Audio XLR's into the system yet, so I'm only speaking with the Canare Cables utilized.

Whatever the case though, I ordered a PS Audio Powerplant to throw in the mix. I haven't hooked it up yet, nor do I know if it will make a dramatic difference, but I figured it wouldn't hurt.

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"