X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • netarc
    • Jul 2003

Audio cutout issues w/Halo?

I've had (and loved) my Halo C2 for several months now ... wonderful piece of equipment ... but I _have_ noticed one *bad* (albeit rare) bug; before reporting it to Parasound, I thought I'd post here to see if anyone *else* has experienced this issue?

First, my setup: Halo C2 feeding an Adcom GFA7605 amp (via unbalanced cables, no 12v trigger line); inputs include DVD player (COAX1), TV (VIDEO2 analog) and external DAC (AUDIO1 analog).

Periodically, I've found that the C2 will, after being turned on, fail to recognize (and hence output) incoming audio signals.

I say "recognize", because when a DD or DTS signal is incoming and one switches to that input, the C2 will generally display the signal type (we've all seen that when the DVD player is stopped - or at the menu - the display generally defaults to Dolby PLII ... but when the movie is playing the pre/pro will show the signal type, i.e., DD or DTS).

Well, when the C2 is exhibiting the problem, switching to DVD input will have _no_ audio output, nor will the display correctly show an incoming DD/DTS stream. Further, neither of the analog channels will output any audio!

Powering off the C2 doesn't resolve the problem. The only thing I've found that _does_ "fix" this problem is a hard reset (rear power switch). Once this is done and the unit powers up again, everything's fine, all inputs function normally!

My C2 is running a current firmware rev (6.42, if I recall correctly), and has experienced this issue four times over the past 4-5 months.

Anyone ever have a like experience with his/her C2?
  • rcnd
    • Jan 2004

netarc-

I have encountered this bug as well. My C2 does it every month or so and like your unit the only way to get it functioning is to reset it. I contacted Parasound and they currently don’t have a fix. In order to fix it they need to recreate the problem, which is difficult due to the infrequency of the bug. Unless you want your unit sitting at Parasound for a couple of weeks, I would wait and see if the future software upgrade fixes the problem. Actually, Parasound told me, and I quote “For a software based unit, a once a month bug almost seems normal!” I understand his point, but if I am going to drop the cash for this unit I would hope I wouldn’t have to go to the back of my ht cabinet to reset it. Give Parasound a call maybe numerous phone calls will initiate a fix. Do a search and you will see that other members have also had this problem, but no one has managed to get it fixed.

Comment

• Scarp
      • Mar 2003

Weird ... very weird. I never had this problem. I have a bit older firmware version.

I always have my unit on "direct" mode and normally turn on my dvd player after the C2 has been turned on (don't know if this matters, but try to rule out any strange situation).

Comment

• Jon SS
        • Oct 2002

I had this exact problem as well and so did somebody else (see a few posts down C2 software issues).

I sent my unit to the distributor in Canada and they could not replicate the problem. They also spoke to Parasound who could not help. What they did in the end was test/check some of the components to make sure everything was the latest and upgraded my firmware to the latest 6.52 as they said mine was a few behind (I previously had 6.42).

Had the C2 back for 2 weeks now, keeping my fingers crossed.

Comment

• netarc
          • Jul 2003

Originally posted by Scarp
          I always have my unit on "direct" mode and normally turn on my dvd player after the C2 has been turned on (don't know if this matters, but try to rule out any strange situation).
          Yes, generally I turn on the C2 on first as well ... then the DVD player, and finally the amp.

Comment

• Scarp
            • Mar 2003

My amp is turned on 5 seconds after the C2 through the delay of a 12 volt trigger. When I had the 1098, the A51 would turn on immediatly and blow the fuse of my house

Anyway... the problem seems to appear more than just one person, so its still strange. I do think that you should try to rule out any other possibilities like indeed the order of turning on your equipment.

Another thing, when the unit doesn't recognize digital signals, is that only for one digital input or does it happen on all (if you have any others?)?.

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

Sooooooo.... you have to choose between accepting a 5 second delay or blowing power to the whole house?

Tough choice.

CHRIS
              Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
              CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
              - Pleasantville

Comment

• Scarp
                • Mar 2003

Its just 5 seconds after turning on the C2. In that time I put a dvd or cd in the player, switch my tv back to its normal channel (every time my dvd players turns on, the tv will switch to the DVD channel, its a Euro Scart annoyance) and start playing. When the amp switches on the lights in my house dim a bit

Comment

• Jariten
                  • Jun 2000

I have a C1 and I have had once the problem....
                  (using a El Cheapo Momitsu DV880)

the C1 would not lock onto the flag of the digital signal -> no sound...
                  turn off at the back and turn back-on ...voila...

Never had the problem with my Denon DVD-5000

I've had my C-1 since August..so probably an older firmware in mine...
                  ^_^;;

Have a good one

Comment

• netarc
                    • Jul 2003

Originally posted by Scarp
                    Anyway... the problem seems to appear more than just one person, so its still strange. I do think that you should try to rule out any other possibilities like indeed the order of turning on your equipment.

Another thing, when the unit doesn't recognize digital signals, is that only for one digital input or does it happen on all (if you have any others?)?.
                    Sorry for the late reply (hmmm...the "email me on reply" on this forum doesn't appear to be working?)

Anyway, to answer your question - yes, when the C2 is exhibiting this problem, it affects _all_ of the audio inputs I have in use (currently, one coax for DVD, one analog for TV, one analog for CD/DAC).

Incidentally, the problem appears not necessarily to be "triggered" by the DVD's digital input - in one occurrence, I switched directly to an analog input (TV) upon powering up the C2 (DVD remained off), and the C2 failed to play any audio at all ... again, until "reset."

From the way the problem's exhibited itself for me (and from what I've read from others) I very much doubt it has to do w/the source input, given that the problem occurs across a range of inputs.

Comment

• john4618
                      • Mar 2004

Scarp, you said: 'I always have my unit on "direct" mode'

I just got my new C2 and A51 a few days ago so I'm still learning it, but the only time that I have the option to use "direct" mode is with a DVD. I have not yet seen "direct" mode as an available option when using DishTV.

For example, watching Chicago on DishTV I do not have the option of "direct" mode, but watching the Chicago DVD I do have the option.

Another difference is the Chicago DVD displays on the C2 screen: Line 1 = “Video 3 Dolby D 3/2.1” and Line 2 = “Direct” --- but watching Chicago on DishTV it displays: Line 1 = “Video 5 Digital PCM” and Line 2 = “Neo6 (or whichever mode I select)”

So I’m wondering if this is the correct behavior -or- maybe my unit is not properly working -or- maybe I did not set it up properly ???

Also, how do I determine the firmware version ???

Comment

• Chris D
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Dec 2000

John-

When you turn on your C1/2 next time, press and hold the power button on the unit face. (not remote) After a few quick seconds, your firmware will be displayed.

It sound like you have your Dish unit hooked up via a digital audio connection, either coax or optical. Is this right?

CHRIS
                        Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
                        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                        - Pleasantville

Comment

• john4618
                          • Mar 2004

Chris,

Yes, the DishTV is connected to the Digital Optical 1 Input -- is this not the way to do it ???

Also, I have my Denon 2900 DVD connected to the Digital Coax 2 Input -- is this okay ???

For both of the above units the video is connected directly to the TV -- is this okay ???

My firmware is v6.52

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"