X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hirogen
    • Apr 2004

C1/C2 not really fully balanced?

Hello, my 1st post

I read in the FAQ at section 3 that the C1/C2 XLR connections are not really fully differential and balanced (to me that does not seem like a good thing). I have read the C2 manual but I could find no proof of this to be true, however maybe I missed it.

So could someone explain where in the manual I can read about the C2 not being truly differential and balanced and also what the differences are between the C1/C2 and a system which is indeed truly differential and balanced? For info, currently I have connected the C2 and the A51 with Kimber Hero XLR cables.

Thanks.
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Hey, Hirogen, and welcome to the Guide! :banana:

Both the C1 and C2 manuals include a decent discussion on balanced and unbalanced cables at the end, under the "Technically Speaking" section. For your C2, it's on page 58. You're absolutely right, in that the info there doesn't explicitly say that the C1/2 is not "fully balanced". That information partially comes from examining that section where Parasound describes how the balanced jacks are wired with pins 1, 2, and 3. It also comes from direct telephone conversations with Parasound directly on the nature of the balanced connectors.

It's not a bad thing, believe me. Using the Halo balanced connectors will (in theory) give a lower noise floor than using the unbalanced jacks. (an exception to this is the experiences some like me have had with highly efficient speakers like Klipsch - see that post in this Club) However, it won't give you the full noise-exclusion aspects of a fully balanced system.

CHRIS
    Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"