X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chucka
    • Aug 2009

A51/A52 continuous AC Power

The owners manual for the HALO A51/A52 says that these amplifiers require "AC that is continuous rather than switched on and off".

Does anyone know why this is and what would happen if one were to use a product such as one of the new GREEN Power Conditioners which switches off all outlets when not in use. What problems will this cause if any? I always try to keep all my power usage to a minimum which is why I switch all of my "wall warts" off when not in use (most on computer system) and would like to do the same with the use of these amps.

Chucka
  • Peter Nielsen
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

You can safely use a power conditioner that swiches off the outlet as long as the conditioner is designed to handle power amps.

However, one minor issue: The HALO amps have a "soft power button". If power is switched off to the amp, it will (as far as I remember) require that you manually turn on the unit by pressing the power button on the front of the unit.

You can work around this problem by using the 12V trigger to start the amp. For instance if your preamp or power conditioner has trigger outputs, this should solve the problem.

Comment

• Chucka
      • Aug 2009

This is the info I was looking for. Thanks!

Audio sensing will not work unless a circuit stays alive to sense the audio, thus requiring constant power to the amp. So the answer to my desire for a total power down is the use of the 12V trigger once the AC is back on.

I will also watch to make sure the power conditioner output to the amplifier is rated at 15 Amp.

Thanks for your help.

Chucka

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"