X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chucka
    • Aug 2009

Parasound A51/52 vs Rotel RMB-1575/1565

Can someone compare these Parasound models with the newest Rotel "ICE" powered amplifiers as to sound quality and overall performance. I will be using with Totem Forest speakers. Would the A51 or the A52 be a better match for these speakers?

Chucka
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Just a recommendation... may want to scan the Parasound FAQ. In it, we talk about the common question of whether to go with the A51 or A52.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

ICE=Lower energy bill, very low heat, high power, low weight. Perfect for an enclosed rack. Fits in almost any flimsy rack thanks to the small size and low weight.

Parasound Halo=Better sound. Reliable technology. Heavy amps. Needs proper ventilation and heavy duty rack. Enclosed rack installation is a challenge.

If high power is needed at low cost, but heat is not an issue, then bi-amping with ICE for the LF and Parasound for the HF might be a good idea...

If sound quality is highest on your list of priorities, the answer is simple. Parasound HALO!

Comment

• Mig17
        • Jan 2008

Ice power is not desidned by Rotel or Bel canto
        They bought it from a company from Denmark Bang & Olufsen
        I love the Rotel traditional amp not ICE power

Comment

• Chucka
          • Aug 2009

The Power consumption market on the back of the A51 is 1800W with a 15A fuse. The owners manual states that at 4 ohms, the unit draws 3000 Watts so I assume this is peak power.

Using (4) Totem Forest speakers (and Model-1 Signature Center) , I will be operating at 8 ohms with the speaker impedance never dropping below 6 ohms. What would be the peak and average current draw at 8 ohms as no where in the manual (or in this forum) can I find this information?

Does this unit still produce high heat when driving an 8 ohm load?

For these speakers, would I be better off with the A52?

Chucka

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Chucka
            The Power consumption market on the back of the A51 is 1800W with a 15A fuse. The owners manual states that at 4 ohms, the unit draws 3000 Watts so I assume this is peak power.
            That's a theorethical peak figure. In practice the unit draws around 200~250W.

Using (4) Totem Forest speakers (and Model-1 Signature Center) , I will be operating at 8 ohms with the speaker impedance never dropping below 6 ohms. What would be the peak and average current draw at 8 ohms as no where in the manual (or in this forum) can I find this information?
            Peak values are of no practical relevance. Rekon with 250W and dealing with the corresponding heat generation.

Does this unit still produce high heat when driving an 8 ohm load?
            Yes. It produces heat with NO LOAD. That's the drawback of Class A operation.

For these speakers, would I be better off with the A52?
            Probably not. The A51 is not that powerful. However, if you need a cool running amp that you can install in a closet, then you need to look at digital technology like ICEPower or TacT.

Peter

Comment

• Chucka
              • Aug 2009

I now had a chance to listen to my desired speakers (Totem Forest) in two different locations with the Rotel 1575. In both cases, they sounded OK but lacked any kind of excitement and lacked all that I liked in the sound of the Totem.

I did listen to the Totem with amplifiers I could not afford (Mcintosh MC205 and Sim Moon MC8) and they sounded wonderful with these speakers. I also heard a pair with a 2 channel 100w Classe Audio CA-2100 and while it sounded excellent, I felt I could hear the amp straining at some of my evaluation levels - so with this I know I want more than 100w.

I am now trying to find a Parasound Halo A51 to listen to with the Totem Forest speakers but this is highly unlikely in my area. How does the A51 sound in comparison to the Mcintosh MC205 and Sim Moon MC8. I am now leaning even more towards a used A51.

(Thanks for everyones patience as I ask questions and opinions while I am working out this system. So far it has totally changed my directions from what I had originally envisioned).

Chucka

Comment

• Q-Man
                • Mar 2004

This may be no help to you at all.

I use McIntosh amps to power my 10 channels, a long with the Halo C1 processor. I think they make a great combination.
                I use two stereo amps to power my mains and front and rear center channels. I use the MC206 6 channel amp for all the other channels. The McIntosh stereo amps sound better then the multi channel amp. This is most likely true for the Parasound amps as well. My goal is to someday replace the multi channel amp with stereo amps.

One thing nice about McIntosh amps, is that they run cool.

Maybe you can look in the used market for Mcintosh amps.

Comment

• Chucka
                  • Aug 2009

I am now won over - It will be Parasound all the way, with the only decision between the A51 or the A52.

Chucka

Comment

• Chris D
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Dec 2000

:banana:
                    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                    - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"