X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • geode
    • Dec 2008

Parasound P3 Question

Hello All

My first post. I just bought a Parasound Halo P3. I have been comparing it to the documentation on Parasounds website. On the website, the back of the Preamp shows a Ground Lift switch, while the Preamp I have doesn't have the switch. I was going to turn this on because there is some noise coming from the Phonostage. I know it's the Preamp because my other Preamp is dead quiet and the only change is the preamp. Anybody know why my switch is missing. Thanks and this is my first piece of Parasound gear ever.
  • Peter Nielsen
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

The first thing is to make sure that the turntable ground wire is properly attached to the P3.

If that does not help, pick up a ground cheater plug from Lowe's hardware or Home Depot for a dollar and try it on the turntable first. If that does not help, try it on the P3.

Peter

Comment

• geode
      • Dec 2008

Okay, so I called Parasound and this is what I was told. The "Ground Lift Switch" is no longer built into the preamp. It seems that this switch was only built into the first two production runs. The switch caused a problem with static buildup which in turn caused a capacitor to fail. Parasound designed and built the later P3s without the switch. What is confusing is that Parasound has not updated their website which shows pictures of the P3 with the switch. :E

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

Hi, geode, welcome to the Guide and Club Parasound! :banana:

Another banana for the new gear. :banana: Yes, Parasound told me at CEDIA that the new re-design of the Parasound amplifiers eliminated the need for the ground lift switch. (I think this was in conjunction with John Curl, if I remember right) This is the first I've heard of the ground lift on the P3 going away as well.
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• geode
          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Chris D
          Hi, geode, welcome to the Guide and Club Parasound! :banana:

Another banana for the new gear. :banana: Yes, Parasound told me at CEDIA that the new re-design of the Parasound amplifiers eliminated the need for the ground lift switch. (I think this was in conjunction with John Curl, if I remember right) This is the first I've heard of the ground lift on the P3 going away as well.
          Thanks for the welcome. Yeah, I talked with Paul at Parasound who didn't know the answer, but put me on hold for a few seconds and rounded up an engineer. The engineer confirmed that the P3 no longer has the switch. I'm enjoying the P3. Great sound and looks. The only complaint is the hiss from the phonostage when not playing a record and the volume turned way-up. It's no big problem, though. This piece is definately a keeper. :T

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2004

Originally posted by geode
            The only complaint is the hiss from the phonostage when not playing a record and the volume turned way-up.
            Ground loop issues will not cause a hiss!

Ground problems cause a low frequency HUM of 60Hz (or 50Hz depending on your mains frequency).

If you're hearing a hiss, then the problem might be that the builtin phonostage is not suitable for your turntable, or possibly lower quality (higher noise threshold) than in your previous amp. An external high quality phonostage like the PS Audio GCPH may fix your problem. (PS Audio seems to have lowered the MSRP by $300. That's neat!)

Peter

Comment

• geode
              • Dec 2008

The hiss is definitely from the phonostage. I was using an old Marantz 3300 preamp. It was dead-quiet. I can live with the hiss, because you really won't hear it unless you want to hear it. That is with no LP playing and the volume cranked up all the way. Outside of that small item, the piece sounds great. The LPs sound way better than with the Marantz.

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                Super Senior Member
                • Sep 2004

Yes, it's from the phonostage because its using a preamp that the other inputs do not use. Apparently the Marantz was either better suited to your turntable, or simply more quiet...
                In any case, an external Phono amp will usually give the best sound.

Peter

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"