X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jdbaker
    • Mar 2005

Help with sub

My sub amp just went kaput and has been sent back to Triad for repair. Without the sub I have reset all my speakers to large and it sounds pretty darn good. When I get the sub back I am thinking of keeping the speakers as large and my question is how to best integrate the bass of the speakers with the bass of the sub. I have 2 options for hooking up the sub, use the Theater input described by Triad as "For highest output above 35HZ". If I go this route what should my sub settings be in the C2? The other option is to use the line level inputs described by Triad as "For bass response fully extended to 20HZ." I would then have control of the sub from the sub amp, my controls are / input level/lowpass filter A/lowpass filter B/ and Phase control. I am assuming I would bypass the subfiltering in C2 setup and set the filtering on the sub amp. I am confused on what would be the best way to set this up so I thought you guys might be able to help.

JDB
  • Snap
    Super Senior Member
    • Feb 2005

how was it set up before you sent the stuff in?

The most common issue people have in your situation is calibration of the system. And there seems to be TOO MUCH of a certain LF, were both the sub, and mains are both hammering stuff out.

My initial gut reaction is to place it back to how it was.

Second, I would put it in the same inputs and mess with the freq cut off to ensure there is no "boomy" sections of the performance.

Additional information would be needed to really answer your question. Like are you running Triad Gold Omni rounds? that type of info. Most importantly what is the sub?
    The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.

Comment

• jdbaker
      • Mar 2005

Snap,

Sorry about the lack of info. it is in my profile and I did not think to include it in my question. Triad inwall Silver 15 Sub, PSB CHS 60 L+R, CHS 40 Center (these are in-cabinet), Triad Gold Dipole Surrounds (in-wall), Halo C2/A51. I had it setup as speakers set to small and the sub connected by theater input and the sub filter set at 70. It sounded fine, but without the sub and the speakers set to large I am getting this wonderful bass. I would like to keep that and use the sub for kick ass LFE.

Thanks,

JDB

Comment

• jdbaker
        • Mar 2005

Would anyone like to describe how they have their system setup?

Thanks,

JDB

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

JD, I strongly believe in the principle of sending low bass frequencies to the unit that is designed to produce them--the subwoofer. So I've always set my systems up for all speakers set to small, the crossover somewhere about 80Hz, and calibrated/eq'd my dual subs for the room.
          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
          - Pleasantville

Comment

• slayer
            • Dec 2005

Go get yourself a Velodyne SMS-1. Or similar device. You will see the response of your sub and mains in real time. That way you can play with the crossover/phase/level/ and other calibrations until you get it just right.
            It made a huge difference in my system.
            Parasound Halo C2
            Earthquake Cinenova Grande (5ch amp)
            Crown X1000 (2ch amp)
            Oppo BDP103
            Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 21 Tube DAC
            Xbox One
            Monster Cable Signiture Series HTPS 7000
            Panasonic 60" ST Series Plasma
            BenQ HT1075 projector w/ 92" Dragonfly screen
            Energy Veritas 2.2i fronts
            Energy Veritas 2.0i center
            CAT Tiburon series side surround
            Energy E-XL 15 rear surround
            Velodyne SMS-1
            Custom 15" sealed sub (Diamond Audio TDX15)

Comment

• jdbaker
              • Mar 2005

Chris and Randy,

Thanks so much for the suggestions, I really appreciate you taking the time to help me. I had the system set up as Chris suggested before the sub amp flamed out and will probably go back to that setup. The Velodyne sub digital equalizer looks cool but a little complicated. Might have some trouble convincing the little women that I need a $600 gadget to tune the sub. Will keep my eyes open for a deal on that unit. Thanks again.

JDB

Comment

• Chris D
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Dec 2000

I use a Behringer Feedback Destroyer to EQ my sub. Like $150 or something.
                CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"