X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ColaBoy
    • Jun 2006

Halo + Electra

Hi,
    I need some more amps for my main speakers (Electra 926), and I really like the look and build of the Halo series. Would the A23 be a good choice or should I choose the A21?

I also plan to upgrade to the never Electra 1027BE in 2007, so the amp must also match them.

Sorry about the horrible English..
    Pioneer 436FDE, Pioneer DV-686, Yamaha RX-V1500.
    Parasound A52, JM-Lab Electra 926 & CC900, Cobalt SR800S.
  • lvhung
    • Jun 2005

Try Plinius 9100 or 9200 better suited with Jmlab

Comment

• kfr01
      • Jan 2006

It depends on the size of your room and listening habits.

Small to medium sized room and moderate listening levels, the A23 would be a perfect choice.

Having said that, I've heard those speakers with Musical Fidelity A5 integrated and was very impressed. Very liquid.
      Karl
      My Chain: PC Audio (EAC + FLAC) --> USB --> PS Audio Digital Link III USB DAC --> Exodus XLR's -->
      Parasound Halo P3 --> Exodus XLR's --> Parasound HCA3500 --> Custom Exodus Audio 2641 Speakers

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

Hi, Colaboy, and welcome to Club Parasound and the Guide! :banana:

I'm not familiar with those speakers. What are their specs, specifically the sensitivity (db/W) and the rated power handling?
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• ColaBoy
          • Jun 2006

Hi!

Speakers:
          Sensitivity: 91dB
          Nominal impedance: 8 ohm
          Minimum impedance: 3,2 ohm
          Max.PowerHandling: 200W

Today I’m using a Yamaha RX-V1500, and this receiver are not doing very well with my Electra’s.

Plinius and Musical Fidelity are not easy to buy, in my little country.

Comment

• alebonau
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by ColaBoy
            Hi!

Speakers:
            Sensitivity: 91dB
            Nominal impedance: 8 ohm
            Minimum impedance: 3,2 ohm
            Max.PowerHandling: 200W

Today I’m using a Yamaha RX-V1500, and this receiver are not doing very well with my Electra’s.

Plinius and Musical Fidelity are not easy to buy, in my little country.
            hows about a bit of your home grown ?

from electrocompaniet ?

Norges eldste og største produsent av HiFi og stereoanlegg.

somethign like the eci3 integrated

Norges eldste og største produsent av HiFi og stereoanlegg.

or the eci5 maybe worth a try. that said have heard a few people now that the focal electra 926 and new 1027be are a good match for MF amps.
            "Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

Colaboy, that's not bad on those specs. Unless you listen at high volumes, I think the A23 would be fine for you. Now if you're looking to listen at high volumes, or want to have amplifiers that could handle speakers upgrades in the future that would be harder to drive, then go ahead and step on up to the A21.
              CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
              - Pleasantville

Comment

• ColaBoy
                • Jun 2006

The EC brand is sadly no longer as great as it was, new owners with only $$$ priority has damaged this once high quality brand.

I like it loud, so I guess the A21 are on my top list know.

Comment

• kfr01
                  • Jan 2006

You should note that the move from 125w to 250w only provides 3db of increased headroom. Unless you have a large room and listen at ear damaging levels, you'll never notice the difference.

That said, I understand buying for headroom and flexibility in the future; thus, my 350x2 amp. You should just realize that you're not buying much audible and practical SPL difference.
                  Karl
                  My Chain: PC Audio (EAC + FLAC) --> USB --> PS Audio Digital Link III USB DAC --> Exodus XLR's -->
                  Parasound Halo P3 --> Exodus XLR's --> Parasound HCA3500 --> Custom Exodus Audio 2641 Speakers

Comment

• ColaBoy
                    • Jun 2006

Originally posted by kfr01
                    You should note that the move from 125w to 250w only provides 3db of increased headroom. Unless you have a large room and listen at ear damaging levels, you'll never notice the difference
                    Ok, so that means that I could also choose the A52 and be happy?

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Sep 2004

Remember that pushing an amp that is too small may create clipping so bad that it blows the speaker. You often don't even hear this before your speaker (midrange or tweeter) is dead...

The opposite is much better. If the amp is "too big", it will not clip. Instead the speaker (woofer) will bottom out, and you'll hear it before any damage is done.

Peter

Comment

• kfr01
                        • Jan 2006

What Peter says is true, but don't necessarily let it scare you into going for the bigger amp.

Most people, I think, have no idea how little power they use when listening at moderate volume levels with easy to drive speakers.

If you have a 90db, relatively flat 8ohm, easy to drive speaker in a small to moderately sized room, and 125w of honest power --- your ears are taking -severe- damage before you're clipping the amplifier badly enough to blow the speaker.

With the above setup, most folks don't touch even touch 30wpc other than during extreme transient passages.

So, I suggest answering a few questions:

a) What size is your room?
                        b) Are these speakers for HT or Stereo use, or both?
                        c) What decibel level do you normally listen at?
                        d) Does the impedence of your speakers drop below 4-ohms under 2khz? .. or otherwise present a difficult load for amplifiers?
                        e) Do you ever plan to use an equalizer?

Regardless, the headroom difference really is only around 3db. If you're foolish with the volume control, it won't matter how big your amp is, something will break.
                        Karl

Comment

• ColaBoy
                          • Jun 2006

Originally posted by kfr01
                          a) What size is your room?
                          b) Are these speakers for HT or Stereo use, or both?
                          c) What decibel level do you normally listen at?
                          d) Does the impedence of your speakers drop below 4-ohms under 2khz? .. or otherwise present a difficult load for amplifiers?
                          e) Do you ever plan to use an equalizer?
                          a) About 24m2
                          b) Both
                          c) I don’t know, the level on my Yamaha volume says "-17db".
                          d) Do this help?: "Nominal impedance: 8 ohm, Minimum impedance: 3,2 ohm"
                          e) The next on my list are a C2, is there an equalizer in the C2?

Thanks for everybody’s input, I have now ordered an A52.

Comment

• Ends
                            • Apr 2005

I have the JM Labs Electra 926's (cir 2005) running on a Halo C2 with the A51. I think if you have a small room that the A52/A23 would work just fine, although - I would wonder why buy the 926's if you had a small room? So I would think that you would want the extra power. The Electra's can handle the watts and I believe the A51 pushes the Electra's to its very best IMO. :T

Comment

• ColaBoy
                              • Jun 2006

Hi, the Electra’s where not on list at all when buying new speakers, but I got a very-very great deal on them, so..

The A52 have so far impressed me very much, my speakers are reborn and I love the "new" sound they now have, a little more "funky" sound I guess. And much more of everything, happy owner!

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"