Where is Halo analog multichannel preamplifier?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kwojciec
    • Jan 2005

Where is Halo analog multichannel preamplifier?

Hi Everybody

I have followed posts in this and other forums, which deal with HDMI ability of the processors and new high definition formats. I have to say that actually after all this reading I feel much more comfortably with Parasound. We complained a lot about the lack of HDMI connections and about upgrades which were supposed to come. However, the matter of HDMI is non-settled, we are still waiting for 1.3 version of HDMI connection. It is even worse as far as high def DVD are concerned. It seems that we need several years until all the issues will be resolved. I am happy with the way my C2 performs, but of course I want more. This more at the moment seems to be the improvement of the analog performance. I can afford it by getting a separate two channel preamp with theater through feature (used Classe, Krell unit on Audiogon or new Nu Force preamp). I guess everybody claims that our processors are not able to compete with the true two channel preamp as far as quality of the music is concerned, so I am tempted to do it.

Now the other day I was reading about Theta six-shooter the multichannel analogue preamp which works with Theta Casablanaca processor and then I thought it would be nice to have preamp which works with multichannel DVD-A and SACD. Parasound was testing such a unit a year ago and it seemed that it would appear on the market pretty soon. I vaguely remember that it was supposed to be priced below 2k ? The unit is supposed to have two 7.1 inputs. I imagine one for the universal player and another for the processor and couple of two channel inputs. I hope for balanced two channel input for my DAC. The people I talked to during the show in Indy hope for the performance on the level of Krell 280 unit or the comparable Classe unit.
    I wonder if anybody has any information on the status of this preamp??

Krzysztof
  • Peter Nielsen
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Allegedly the JC 2 preamplifier will cost $2750. Read more about it in Stereophile's CES 2006 report.

Edit: Oops... My bad! That's of course not the multichannel preamp... I wonder what really happened to the "P2" or whatever it was to be called. At CES 2005 Richard said "Expect the new preamp, with an estimated $1750 street price and possibly new name, sometime this April." (2005)

Peter

Comment

• kwojciec
      • Jan 2005

Thanks Peter

I hope we will see this preamp in April. On the other hand a high class
      two channel preamp is really tempting as well

Krzysztof

Comment

• RJKuzma
        • Jan 2005

The April in that CES 2005 article was April 2005. Obviously, the P2 didn't make it to market. Perhaps a Halo dealer could shed some light on this issue.

Comment

• kwojciec
          • Jan 2005

Hi

I missed that "05". I hope that we do not have to wait long for this item and
          once it is out Brent, Peter and other more knowledgable people share wisdom
          (Halo versus Krell, or Classe etc.).

I need another advice though. here is my system:

1. Speakers (all Def Tech): BP 300TL (mains) , Def Tech C 3000 (center),
          BP2006TL (surrounds) and BP1.2x (rear surrounds).
          2. Preamp/processor C2.
          3. Rotel amplifiers: RB 1080 (2 x 200 watts) mains, RBM 1075 (5 x 125 watts)
          surrounds.
          4. Yamaha S2300 universal player.
          5. Dodson 217 DAC (for two channel music run through bypass in C2)
          6. Samsung HLP 50 DLP tv.
          7. Dish High Def receiver.

Anyway I may be wrong but it seems that the week point here is that I run
          5 full range speakers, so I may need some extra power. If I have enough money I would run JC1 + A51 , but there is some budget constraint, though I hope to be able to buy new amps early this Summer.
          So here are the options (pricewise)

1. Used Sunfire on Audiogon (5 x 400 watts) is about 2k ( RB 1080 deal with the rear surrounds).
          2. Earthquake Cinenova Grande (5 x 300 watts) about 2.5 k on Audiogon.
          3. Halo A21 plus A51 (B stock) this may be too much, but you can get A51 plus Classic 5250 from Audio Advisor for less than 3.5 k and of course Brent is
          here so ....
          4. Now I can leave RB1075 for rears and try to get new Rotel digital stuff for my front (RB1092 plus RB1091 adds to 3 x 500 watts). Counting discount it would be just above 3.5 k.

The most pricey option seems to be variation of 4 with Rotel replaced by 3 NuForce 9 monos plus their power outlet stuff 3,750 + 249 plus shipping minus slight discount I imagine. This would put me at a little under 4k, which is already too much.

well, I also toy with

5 Krell Showcase (5 or 7 x 125 watts) below 3 k on the Audiogon.

I live in Indy so I can audition only Rotel and and Krell. I am thinking about trip to Chicago or to Wiscoinsin to listen to Halo versus Earthquake.

Anyway, any comments are welcome

Krzysztof

P.S I have nothing against becoming beta-tester of analog Halo toy, but
          I guerss that we are all ready to do that.

Comment

• kfr01
            • Jan 2006

I find it hard to believe you need more power. How do you know you need more power? You realize that moving from 200w to 300w will give you less than a 3db rise in max spl, right?

Anytime I see someone spend far more on amplifiers than on speakers, I think about trying to fix a gaping wound with a band-aid made of gold. Expensive, but it ain't gonna do much for you.

You already have decent amplifiers. For HT there just isn't much to be gained by switching from one decent amplifier brand to the next, unless you enjoy switching for the sake of switching. They'll all measure flat, they'll all put out high amounts of power near their rated number, and they'll all make your speakers similarly loud within a 3db window. Unless you have a difficult load to drive, I think you stand to gain little to nothing in terms of performance by switching amplifiers. Sure, they'll have some different sonic characteristics, but they'll all be in the same quality ballpark.

In my opinion you need to evaluate what exactly you are trying to fix. Throwing money at your system in the form of amplification and hoping that it'll sound nicer is the wrong strategy.
            Karl
            My Chain: PC Audio (EAC + FLAC) --> USB --> PS Audio Digital Link III USB DAC --> Exodus XLR's -->
            Parasound Halo P3 --> Exodus XLR's --> Parasound HCA3500 --> Custom Exodus Audio 2641 Speakers

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
              Super Senior Member
              • Sep 2004

Originally posted by kfr01
              In my opinion you need to evaluate what exactly you are trying to fix. Throwing money at your system in the form of amplification and hoping that it'll sound nicer is the wrong strategy.
              I agree 100%. The reason why I switched from A51 to JC1s was mostly because I could "easily" make the A51 clip bad and burn speaker fuses in the process (ouch!). The JC1 is powerful enough not to clip. Now the speaker bottoms out before the amp reaches its limit. No more burnt fuses. Much better that way IMHO...

Peter

Comment

• kwojciec
                • Jan 2005

Thanks for the comments. Do not forget that I am not really that advanced in this hobby. I started with 5 smaller Def Tech speaker, Yamaha receiver and Toshiba DVD player couple of years ago. Each change I had made brought a significant improvement to the sound quality, so now I would like to have such an improvement again. Of course at each stage it is more and more difficult

best

Krzysztof

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"