X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Latest Parasound news - Must Read!

I came across some new information about Parasound stuff soon. You all can probably understand that I can't always divulge my sources, but I keep my ears open for reliable information that I can share with our club.

Parasound DVD players - Halo D3 and New Classic D200: These are currently being certified at international HDMI test labs. One more step closer to us!

HDMI Switcher: Many people probably haven't heard that this is going to be called the "Zhd". This may already be in production! This unit will integrate with the Halo C1/C2, and the New Classic 7100 pre/pro. This will add the capability of HDMI switching to these units, bringing them up to the latest technology. So if you have multiple digital video units, like me with a HDMI DVD player, HD satellite player, and HTPC, you can now connect all of their HDMI video outputs to the Zhd, and send one signal to your projector.

Although we don't have all the official specs yet, indications are that it may also pass HDMI audio through the unit, but will not transmit it to the C1/C2/7100 itself for decoding. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed, though. The "Z" in Zhd leads me to think this may be a half-rack component style like the Z series Parasound products.

Zbreeze Cooling Fan Also may already be in production, so we could see this very soon! Indications are that this will also be a Z-series half-rack product. I think this will be great for equipment stacks. I'm planning on picking up one or two to keep my rack cool.

New Classic 2-channel 2250 amp and 2000 pre-amp: I would expect both of these to ship by the end of the month. I know a couple of our members are waiting for these with baited breath!

I also have info that an article about the Parasound company will appear in the February issue of Forbes magazine. Should be good reading.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • Andrew M Ward
    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Chris Dotur

Parasound DVD players - Halo D3 and New Classic D200: These are currently being certified at international HDMI test labs. One more step closer to us!

1) Any information as to what international labs?
    2) I thought there was only one HDMI certification lab?
    3) If it's being certified why isn't it shipping?

I can name a whole slew of DVD players with HDMI that are shipping and not HDMI certified.

Classe'
    Denon
    Marantz
    Sony
    LG
    Pioneer
    Toshiba
    Panasonic
    JVC
    ..................... and more

Comment

• psychdoc
      • May 2005

Good news, I can't wait

I also received some inside info that stated the Parasound Classic 2250 would likely be released sometime this month. I CAN'T WAIT!! It will make a fine match with my 7100 and 5250.

I really would like more info on the D2. I currently have a Denon 2910 and I am curious if the D2 is a step up or just a lateral step. It sure would look nice in the stack though. Does anyone have any thoughts on this issue? More specifically, I should be receiving my DVDO VP30 in the next couple of weeks that will be handling any upconversion so I guess I am looking for pure quality in a DVD unit. Which DVD unit would be a better match with the VP30, Denon 2910 or the Parasound D2?? I'm sure it would be pure speculation at this point but it would make for some interesting reading regardless. Take care all, Matt.

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

I didn't know that, Andrew, about stuff shipping with the certification. Can't answer that question. I'm pretty sure that there are only two HDMI test labs in the world. Other than that, I really don't know much more.

Matt, I think the D3 will be a step up from the Denon 2910. Whether it ends up being a step up from my Denon 3910 remains to be seen. If you're going to have another unit handle the upconversion, you probably don't need a DVD player that does it, then.
        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
          • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Chris Dotur
          I didn't know that, Andrew, about stuff shipping with the certification. Can't answer that question. I'm pretty sure that there are only two HDMI test labs in the world. Other than that, I really don't know much more.
          Actually you're right, there are two labs, Sunnyvale CA. and Osaka Japan.. I forgot about the Japanese facility.

As far as I know according to ATC Lab reports only one DVD player is in right now for full Certification, and it's presently a shipping product. It's on the list I created above.

A list of many other players might be in there for compliance testing, but that's a whole lot different than HDMI certification. I would guess that the Parasound unit is in for compliance testing.

I'll check my sources if you're interested, or I'll just drop it if you're not really interested. :W

Comment

• nicholtl
            • Aug 2003

I still want a DAC upgrade, dammit.

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

Well, I don't really know a lot about certification standards and processes. :huh: Sorry!
              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Chetk
                • May 2004

Originally posted by nicholtl
                I still want a DAC upgrade, dammit.
                You got that right. And I ain't buying the HDMI switcher unless it allows the C1 to decode the audio (preferably DTS-HD and DD+ when they get implemented).

Comment

• J.H.
                  • Nov 2005

Thats the question right now. Will it decode DD+ and DTS-HD? Do we have any answers on this? I would like to know very much too? J.H.

Comment

• Chetk
                    • May 2004

J.H., I don't think we're going to know this until Parasound talks or releases something. However, from listening to Brent Huskins and Chris D on these forums, I don't think we should get our hopes up.

The way I understand it, the C1/C2 can't accept the audio from the HDMI stream. The only communication method to/from the HDMI switcher is the RS-232 port and it does not have enough bandwidth to support DTS-HD or DD+.

Like I said, it probably won't happen. If you want something that decodes DTS-HD or DD+, you're better off waiting on the next line of receivers. I really don't think the C1/C2 is going to cut it. Sad really. :nonod: :gah:
                    Last edited by Chris D; 05 February 2007, 04:15 Monday.

Comment

• J.H.
                      • Nov 2005

I have the Parasound 7100 and that probably goes for my processor as well. Now from what i have been told is that as long as your processor has 7 analog inputs like we use for DVD-AUDIO you will be fine. From what I have been told the HD-DVD/Blu Ray player will decode DD+ and DTS-HD and send it to your processor via the analog inputs. At least thats what I have been told. J.H.

Comment

• nicholtl
                        • Aug 2003

Even if that's the case, I still prefer to have DD or DTS signals sent via digital link, and decoded via the processor.

Comment

• J.H.
                          • Nov 2005

It might be different with these new formats but we will have ti wait and see. J.H.

Comment

• psychdoc
                            • May 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I really hope the pessimistic views are incorrect. I love the 7100 and would hate to think that it will be obsolete in 1 yr. That is a bigtime bummer.

Parasound has got to come through on this one. It just makes sense that they would keep the loyal base happy, or at least not anger them to extremes. I can't imagine many people forking over huge amounts of money again for a totally new pre/pro that might only last 1 yr.

I have avoided the whole HDMI swtiching thing on my 7100 by going with the new DVDO VP30. Even that is a temporary solution but they are very quick with the "next" generation items and give generous buyback offers on old equipment. Between the Parasound and DVDO equipment, I am sure there will be a solution to new formats. I really hope Parasound leads from the front on this issue.

Comment

• J.H.
                              • Nov 2005

Also can't we just a get a software download from Parasound so the 7100 will accept audio from HDMI? Is that possible? J.H.

Comment

• Chris D
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Dec 2000

J.H., a software download MIGHT be possible for the C1/C2/7100 to decode new audio formats, like Windows Media High-Def Audio and those about to appear with HD-DVD and Blu-Ray. (Parasound does indicate that it would take a hardware upgrade as well, though, not just software)

However, to answer your question, since the C1/C2/7100 does not yet have HDMI, for them to accept audio from HDMI, they need some sort of physical HARDWARE upgrade to do so. It would require some sort of new connector (HDMI or otherwise) installed in the expansion port. Since our information is that the Zhd will be connecting to the C1/C2/7100 only via the RS-232 serial port, (not a new jack in the expansion port) the only question is whether this connection has the capability to pass high-res audio. Brent Huskins has indicated that it does not have the bandwith to do so.

So C1/C2/7100 receiving HDMI audio really comes down to an issue of hardware connections, not software.
                                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• J.H.
                                  • Nov 2005

I just want know if my 7100 will work with HD-DVD/Blu ray and will be able to use the new Dolby Digital True HD and DTS-HD. Will I be able to in some way be able to use my 7100 with both? tHats all i want to know. I have heard even if the processor will not except audio via HDMI you will be about to hook up a HD-DVD/BLURAY player through the 7 channel analog inputs curently being occupied by my DVD-AUDIO connections. Is this true? J.H.

Comment

• Adz
                                    • Jan 2004

Chris:

I guess the question is if one were to buy the 7100 today, are they protected for the much anticipated arrival of Hi Def Audio formats even if you have to send the unit in, or would you need to scrap the 7100 and buy new?
                                    Adz

Comment

• J.H.
                                      • Nov 2005

Exactly Adz could have out that question better. I would like a definitive answer on this? J.H.

Comment

• Chris D
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Dec 2000

Okay, the best way I could put it is this:

The C1, C2, and 7100 (and any other processor with 7.1 analog inputs) will ALWAYS be able to play ANY sound format of up to 7.1 channels that is externally decoded and sent to the C1/C2/7100 via the 7.1 inputs.

That's the bottom line. More discussion:

It doesn't matter what the format is--stereo, Super Audio CD, WMVHD, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS-HD, or some format that comes out 5 years from now. If your disc player (or computer or whatever component) has an onboard decoder and multichannel outputs, your C1/C2/7100 will always be able to play it.

The only question is whether the C1/C2/7100 will be able to do the decoding itself. To date, Parasound has not added any new surround sound format decoding to these units than what they came out with. (note: VERY few new formats have come to the industry, and none that are mainstream. The only one that really comes to mind is WMVHD - Windows Media Video High Definition) Parasound HAS added new processing capability with Dolby Pro Logic IIx. This is not a new sound format, just a way that the processor adjusts the sound that it already has.

Parasound has not indicated whether it will be adding any new decoding capability as new sound formats come online, such as Dolby Digital Plus, and DTS-HD, where the C1/C2/7100 would receive the raw digital signal via coax/optical/firewire/HDMI/whatever, and then do the decoding itself. This is definitely a possibility that it may happen, but my intuitive guess is that it will not happen, and if it does it will be quite some time. Again, though, since these processors have 7.1 analog inputs, they will always be able to receive new sound formats like Dolby Digital Plus and DTS-HD that are decoded by the disc player and then sent via 7.1 analog. To keep a pure digital path, it would ideal to have the C1/C2/7100 do all the decoding, but this is certainly acceptable as well.

To keep this in perspective, the C1/C2/7100 does as much or MORE format decoding as ANY other processor on the market today. (other processors may have unique processing modes to play with the sound, but they will not be able to decode any format that the C1/C2/7100 can not)

When Blu-Ray and/or HD-DVD come out and we get new sound formats like Dolby Digital Plus and DTS-HD, EVERY consumer in the world that wants to play these formats will have to do one of three things:
                                        1. Buy a new disc player with onboard decoding, and then send utilize their receiver/processor's multichannel analog inputs.
                                        2. If their receiver/processor's manufacturer offers it, upgrade it with new software and probably new hardware too, to accept and decode the new formats.
                                        3. Buy a brand new receiver/processor with the capabiliity to decode these new formats.

#3 will probably not be happening for a while. I would guess that new models will not start appearing on the market with sound decoding capability until several months AFTER the release of Blu-Ray and/or HD-DVD, and it will be QUITE some time until any models get released that are high-performance and very reliable.

#2 will also likely not be happening for a while after the release of Blu-Ray and/or HD-DVD. For 99% of all manufacturers, it will not happen at all.

C1/C2/7100 owners will be in the camp of option #1. (and we'll keep hoping for option #2) You'll have to buy a new disc player anyway to play Blu-Ray/HD-DVD, so just make sure it has an onboard decoder and utilize the 7.1 inputs. No sweat.

So here's the final point--if you're rich and you want to buy a whole brand new high-end pre/pro every time a new sound format comes out, then you are an A/V king. For the rest of us, buying a pre/pro with 7.1 inputs and the capability of future upgrades will give the best future-proofing available so you don't need to spend $5,000 every 4 years for a whole new model.

Again, the bottom line: The C1/C2/7100 are about as future-proof as you can get, and WILL be able to play new future sound formats like DD+ and DTS-HD, at least through the 7.1 inputs, and potentially through new hardware/software upgrades.
                                        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• J.H.
                                          • Nov 2005

Now that is good news a load off my mind! J.H.

Comment

• psychdoc
                                            • May 2005

Nice post Chris!!!

Comment

• Adz
                                              • Jan 2004

Thanks Chris. For me, I was really trying to understand whether Parasound had ever hinted at offering a hardware and software upgrade to part or all of their separates line to handle the Hi-Def audio formats. There are some manufacturers (really only 2 or 3 that I know of ) at the higher C1 price point that have publicly stated their commitment, but I'd hate to have to bypass a higher end processor and use the DVD player's decoding /DACs and incorporating 7 more cables into the equation, but of course that is a short term solution for most.
                                              Adz

Comment

• J.H.
                                                • Nov 2005

I don't mind the seven cables because I already do it with DVD-AUDIO althought it does mean I will have to drop DVD-AUDIO because HD-DVD,Blu ray will occupy the connections for DVD-AUDIO.Other than that it does not bother me. I have heard Dolby Digital true HD and DTS-HD sound like the master sound on the film that you hear in the movie theater. Sounds pretty awesome without actually hearing it. J.H.

Comment

• Chris D
                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                  • Dec 2000

True, J.H., you can see that for those of us with DVD-A and SACD, we'll need more than ever a TRULY universal disc player that can play ALL formats of discs. (Most A/V enthusiasts are in this boat as very few processors have more than one set of multichannel inputs) We'll need to hope that somebody will be releasing a disc player that can play everything including DVD-A, SACD, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, etc. (I'm still not giving up on WMVHD, too!) Perhaps we can keep our fingers crossed for the small chance that the Halo disc player will be able to do all this either on release or in the future!

You can also see now why I've been pushing on my Parasound wish list for the ultimate solution:

1. A Halo Disc player that will be able to play ALL available discs on the market, and send ALL high-rez audio and video via one digital connection such as HDMI out to a processor

AND

2. Add the capability to the C1/C2/7100 to receive such high-res audio and video from this digital connector, pass on the video, and DECODE all these audio formats for proper playing.

Thus the 7.1 inputs wouldn't even be required, and could be saved for future formats. I realize that this may be a pipe dream, but I think that in the industry we must keep our eyes on the ultimate goals and direction that technology needs to go. Compromises may need to be made sometimes, but they should be treated as acceptable intermediate steps while still moving towards the real goal, not final solutions to rest on for years. Example - if all manufacturers just accept 720p resolution as "good enough", and design all their equipment to just meet 720p, we'll never get to our final goal of 1080p... or beyond!
                                                  CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• J.H.
                                                    • Nov 2005

All I know is I can't wait to hear Dolby TRUEHD and DTS-HD. Its going to be awesome I suspect making regular DD/DTS sound like stereo. From what I have read the new DD and DTS sound incredible just like the movie soundstrack was made. Its going to be awesome. As good as regular DD and DTS are there are holes that will now be filled with these new sound formats. I can't wait!J.H.

Comment

• jprafter
                                                      • Jan 2005

One set of 7.1 inputs is limiting without a good analog multi-channel switch.
                                                      Parasound C2, A51, A21, T3, A23(x3)
                                                      Onkyo TX-SR805
                                                      Paradigm Signature S8, C5, S4, S2(x2), ADP
                                                      Velodyne HGS-15X, SMS-1
                                                      Sony PS3
                                                      DirecTV HR20
                                                      SONOS
                                                      Harmony 1000

Comment

• Chris D
                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                        • Dec 2000

Yes... or a true universal device so you don't NEED multiple multichannel inputs.
                                                        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• J.H.
                                                          • Nov 2005

Do they even make multi channel switchers? Sound like a big pain in the butt to me no? j.H.

Comment

• Chris D
                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                            • Dec 2000

Well, this is something you see in the industry EVERY time a new A/V connector comes out. First there were external composite video switchers, because people only had one on their TV (at most) and people didn't route TV through their receivers. Then manufacturers added multiple composite video switching capability to receivers, and the same thing happened with external S-video switchers. Then component video switchers, then DVI, and now HDMI. (i.e. we're about to get a Zhd HDMI switcher from Parasound)

Yes, there are a couple of multi-channel (sounds redundant) audio input switchers on the market. Perhaps it's time to start looking for one, with the upcoming Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, etc.

Found one offhand, by Zektor, well known for this kind of thing. Gefen also makes good A/V swithcers, but didn't see one for this specifically.

CLICK HERE for the Zektor switch.

Anybody know of any other switchers?

Last edited by Chris D; 04 January 2006, 04:19 Wednesday.
                                                            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• jprafter
                                                              • Jan 2005

That's what I was hoping to use the new P2 to do. It appears that it has two sets of 7.1 inputs. It does not, however, have bypass, so you can not sandwich it in between your C1/C2 and your amplifiers. I would have to feed the output from the P2 into my C2's 7.1 inputs to share the amplifiers, therefore loosing the one on the C2, and only gaining one extra input.

I currently use my Sony analog multi-channel preamp TA-P9000ES for my switch, but it only does 5.1. I was able to use it's two 5.1 sources and the one set of 5.1 bypass jacks to gain three sets of analog multi-channel inputs. Two of which the TA-P9000ES can control, the last just passes through. I currently feed my HTPC, my SACD player and the DVD-A from my DVD player through this set up.

I have looked at the Zektor switch which Chris is showing. But I haven't seen much feedback about it. It still only supports 5.1 and not 7.1 switching and has no RS-232 control. They have a new products page which include the RS-232, but still no 7.1.

UK Based manufacturer of HDBaseT video distribution systems, HDMI over HDBaseT extenders, CEC control solutions, including our exclusive USB-CEC Adapter
                                                              Parasound C2, A51, A21, T3, A23(x3)
                                                              Onkyo TX-SR805
                                                              Paradigm Signature S8, C5, S4, S2(x2), ADP
                                                              Velodyne HGS-15X, SMS-1
                                                              Sony PS3
                                                              DirecTV HR20
                                                              SONOS
                                                              Harmony 1000

Comment

Working...
                                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                              Search Result for "|||"