X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • psychdoc
    • May 2005

Parasound people to the rescue?

Hi all,
    I'm guessing that someone in this forum has dealt with this problem so I am hoping for an easy solution (don't work harder, work smarter :W ).
    I have a buzzing in my system (lot of this going around it seems). I have already isolated the difficulty to the coax cable connection. As soon as I connect the coax cable into the back of the Scientific Atlanta 8300HD (cable box/dvr) I hear a loud buzz. With the coax cable connected, the buzz continues even if the power cable to the 8300HD is removed.
    I already have the ground on "lift" on my Parasound Classic 5250 and I am already using a Monster Power AVS 2000 and HTPS 7000. The buzz continues when the amp is plugged into the monster power items or when connected directly into the wall socket.
    The 8300HD cable box/dvr is connected to the TV (with speakers off) via a HDMI cable and to the preamp (Parasound Classic 7100) via a toslink digital cable. I have not used a cheater plug on anything yet (if I did, on what device would I use it on ..the 8300HD cable box, the amp or something else?). Any ideas? Thanks all, Matt.
  • mariachi
    • Aug 2003

I'm not sure if the Monster power avs 2000 & HTPS 7000 have coaxial ins and outs, If they do, connect the coaxial cable to this and then to your cable box...

-Vic

Comment

• nicholtl
      • Aug 2003

They do.

Comment

• psychdoc
        • May 2005

I'm embarrassed that I didn't think of that.....thanks! I will try it now. My fingers are crossed.

Comment

• psychdoc
          • May 2005

I think using the Monster Power coax inputs may have helped a bit but the buzz is still there to some degree. Removing the cable from all inputs immediately stops the buzz so I know it is not my imagination.
          I have been trying to find some info on the web and I was led to an article that was pumping up the Jensen Model VRD-1FF. It is a little tiny screw in in-line filter. I don't know if it will work but I went ahead anyway and ordered one. If anyone has any more thoughts I am all ears (or should I say eyes). Thanks again, Matt.

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2004

Originally posted by psychdoc
            Hi all,
            I'm guessing that someone in this forum has dealt with this problem so I am hoping for an easy solution.
            Same cable box here, same problem here. It's easily solved though:

The solution is a Jensen ISO-MAX VRD-1FF CATV isolator.

These cost around $50, but I just got one on eBay for $7.50 :T

Unfortunately it does not solve the mechanical hard-drive noise of the 8300HD :

Peter

Comment

• psychdoc
              • May 2005

Thanks Peter,
              I guess I will just wait until the Jensen filter arrives sometime next week. It is odd, however, that I really never heard the buzzing until the last couple of days. Cable was out around here a few days ago and the company stated they were doing some repairs. Maybe they added something to the whole system that started the buzzing.......

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                Super Senior Member
                • Sep 2004

Originally posted by psychdoc
                Maybe they added something to the whole system that started the buzzing.......
                They probably did something that altered the CATV grounding...

Peter

Comment

• Kingdaddy
                  • Jan 2004

Same box (last year) same problem, the box that Peter mentioned will probably work but for a cheep and dirty solution I just removed the ground from the cable going into the house. Usually the installer grounds the cable to the electrical meter pole on the outside of the house.
                  My Center Channel Project

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"