X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LuckyLuke
    • Jun 2005

C1 no center

Hi,

I noticed that when i play a cd on my dvd player via dig. coax , there is no center voice image.
    I've tried 2 dvd players Denon 2800, Marantz 9500, same results
    The C1 displays Direct/Stereo, so its not using some kind of surround mode.
    When i use the dvd's analog output its good like it's supposed to be.
    On my old receiver it was just fine via dig. coax (voices are in the middle)

So what is wrong with the C1?
    Why can't it play regular stereo when using coax?

Lucky...me
  • Peter Nielsen
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

In Stereo/Direct mode, there should only be sound in the LEFT and RIGHT channels. The center channel (and other channels) should be silent.

If you have center channel sound in analog mode, it obviously means that your DVD player is doing some processing...

Peter

Comment

• nicholtl
      • Aug 2003

Unless of course, he meant a phantom image, and that singer voices were not coming from "the center." Which means either:

1) the recording was not properly mastered
      2) your speakers are out of phase
      3) your speakers are not equidistant from your listening position

Comment

• Kingdaddy
        • Jan 2004

Try "Natural" mode for PCM 2-ch, it will have center channel sound, my favorite mode for music.
        My Center Channel Project

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Kingdaddy
          Try "Natural" mode for PCM 2-ch, it will have center channel sound, my favorite mode for music.
          Yep that'll work, but that does not explain why he gets center channel activity with an analogue connection that supposedly is unprocessed (which I personally don't think is the case, but...)

Peter

Comment

• LuckyLuke
            • Jun 2005

Originally posted by nicholtl
            Unless of course, he meant a phantom image, and that singer voices were not coming from "the center."
            Yes, that's what i meant , the singer voices in the middle.
            The centerspeaker is not active, only during a surround mode.

Originally posted by nicholtl
            1) the recording was not properly mastered
            2) your speakers are out of phase
            3) your speakers are not equidistant from your listening position
            No none of that. like i said when using the analog stereo output on the dvd player the sound is correct.

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

Yes, with 2-channel media and Direct or Stereo, you should get sound ONLY from the left and right main speakers. Not center. This should apply whether it's digital or analog. If you're getting sound out of the center speaker (and you're SURE it's actually the center speaker, not just sounding that way) the pre/pro is doing some sort of processing and it's NOT direct, NOR stereo. (or the source isn't really 2-channel stereo itself)

To point out, Direct and Stereo are two different modes that in the case of 2-channel media just happen to be the same thing.
              CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
              - Pleasantville

Comment

• LuckyLuke
                • Jun 2005

Hmmm, i'm not gonna use the word "center" again , because it's to confusing
                Let's pretend i dont have a center speaker ok
                I was talking about the soundstage/image of the music (in stereo), the singers should stand in the middle.
                When i use the dvd's analog output its good like it's supposed to be...

Comment

• Kingdaddy
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by LuckyLuke
                  Hmmm, i'm not gonna use the word "center" again , because it's to confusing
                  Let's pretend i dont have a center speaker ok
                  I was talking about the soundstage/image of the music (in stereo), the singers should stand in the middle.
                  When i use the dvd's analog output its good like it's supposed to be...
                  The last place to look is the Processor, in fact I don't know how the Processor would even be in question, imaging comes from speaker placement and listening position relative to the speakers. Next would be the room then speaker design and so on.

I’ve found that having anything at all between the speakers will kill the imaging, even a small TV.
                  My Center Channel Project

Comment

• Chris D
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Dec 2000

Ah, that clears things up, Luke. (as least as far as understanding your reference to "center") I'm trying to figure out, though, why there would be a difference between analog and digital inputs as far as the sound image you're talking about. It sounds like a phase issue you're talking about, but that shouldn't change based on whether the sound is sent over analog or digital.
                    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• dancremeans
                      • Jul 2005

LuckyLuke, Don't feel alone, I'm having the exact same problem with my Parasound C2 controller. I have found all the digital & anolog inputs in stereo mode cause the speakers to sound out-of-phase leaving you with no phantom center. The only inputs that work in stereo mode, & allow a phantom center are the 7-1 & and Balanced inputs. I was about to send my unit to Parasound (even had an RAN #), but I found a work around for the time being, which is to use the "stereo96" mode with the offending analog inputs. That gives me the phantom center back again. This dosen't help with the digital inputs, as the "stereo96" option is not available there. If this is not happening for anybody else, you & I may have defective units. If so, it's probalby going to be necessary to send back to Parasound for repair.

Just to clarify. I can plug my sound source into any of the analog inputs (except for 7-1, or Balanced, which works) & have an out-of-phase sound when in stereo mode, but if I plug the same sound source in either the 7-1 or balanced inputs, that same sound source is as it should be, a center phantom image, using two speakers.

Comment

• Chris D
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Dec 2000

Strange. I do know that Stereo96 is a great way to go with analog inputs.

dancremeans, welcome to the Guide and Club Parasound! :banana:
                        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• LuckyLuke
                          • Jun 2005

I'm "glad" i'm not alone on this one dancremeans.
                          The "stereo96" didn't helped much either
                          So my only working option is the 7-1 input, which is ok BUT i like my sub to play the lowest notes.
                          What's left is the balanced inputs but i don't have a balanced cd-player
                          aargh Parasound SUX !

Maybe i should change my nick into UnLuckyLuke...

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"