X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andy0217
    • Jun 2005

A51 & A21 Amps are they multivoltage???

Hi to all,

I have been surfing this forum for a while and thought it was time I get off my rear end and register.

Anyway, I reside in Melbourne, Australia, and considering importing the A51 and A21 from the USA.

Two questions come to mind and they are:

a) What are the street prices for each? and
    b) Are they both multivoltage or if not, what needs to be done to make
    them both compatible with our 240V 50Hz?

Really don't want to be running a step down transformer for both.

Oh, and is it right that they are made in Taiwan?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks & Regards,
    Andrew....
  • Peter Nielsen
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Hi Andrew,

Welcome to the Forum!
    • Yes, they are multivoltage. HOWEVER, the voltage is not user changeable. Changing the voltage requires reconfiguring some of the internal wiring.
    • They are assembled in Taiwan. Fortunately you can peel off that dreadful "Made in Taiwan" sticker :T
    • The warranty is NOT transferable, nor is it an international warranty. Consequently if you buy your unit in the US, you will have to ship it back to the US should it require warranty service. These amps are heavy: you're facing a $1,300 (aussie$) round trip cost (UPS Expedited) should the A51 require service. In practice this probably means you're better off if you ignore the warranty and have the unit locally serviced at your cost...

Peter

Comment

• mitch57
      • Nov 2004

So much for being made in America. I heard that some of Parasound's equipment is designed in Norway or Sweeden or some European country. If that's the case it seems they can only claim that they are an "American Owned" company.
      Mitch
      :stupidpc:

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

Originally posted by mitch57
        So much for being made in America. I heard that some of Parasound's equipment is designed in Norway or Sweeden or some European country. If that's the case it seems they can only claim that they are an "American Owned" company.
        The C1/C2 is designed by Flextronix in Finland. These two components actually say "Made in Finland" on the back. I guess they can do this, because most of the work that goes into the controllers really is in the software. (Maybe the final assemby happens in Finland, but there's no way all of the amp is built there. AFAIK, finnish labor is even MORE expensive than US labor).

The amps are designed in the US. Only the automated assembly of the amps happens by contractors in Taiwan. All R&D is done in the US. I guess you heard about Curl, Thompson, and Crump (CTC-builders) that designed the JC-1?

What's more, even though a device is "Made in USA" it might still mean that most of it was manufactured overseas with only the final assembly happening in the US. The US company receives all the circuit boards, cable bundles, etc readily made from contractors overseas and only makes the final assembly here. Parasound could easily do this if they wanted their amps to be "Made in USA". Would this make the amps more american?

Peter

Comment

• mitch57
          • Nov 2004

Probably not. Nothing seems to truly be designed/manufactured/built in America anymore. Even american cars have most of the parts built in other countries and imported to the US.

I think it's all about labor costs these days.
          Mitch
          :stupidpc:

Comment

• Andy0217
            • Jun 2005

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your response, much appreciated.

I am not to concerned with the warranty provisions, willing to take my chances there, but the voltage aspect is a real concern.

Perhaps there is a retailer in Taiwan who sells 240V 50Hz units and can ship to me? How difficult it is exactly to re configure for 240V?

Otherwise I may have to consider Rotels instead.

Thanks & Regards,
            Andrew...

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

Hey, Andy, and welcome to Club Parasound and the Guide! :banana:
              CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
              - Pleasantville

Comment

• Andy0217
                • Jun 2005

Hi Chris and Peter,
                Thanks so much for the warm welcome, appreciate it and Peter I have sent you a PM,
                Regards Andrew....

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"