X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • netarc
    • Jul 2003

Additional discrete codes for Halo?

Wondering if anyone's come across additional discrete IR codes for the Halo C1/C2 controllers? For example, the remote has MODE +/- keys, but it'd be nice to have direct access to modes such as "direct," "PLII music," etc. Similarly, a code specific for +/- level of center, sub, etc would be good!
  • bhuskins
    • Aug 2003

You have to do it with RS-232 to get the discrete codes. I've though about selling an RS232 to IR adapter preconfigured to handle the discrete codes that are only available to the C1/C2 via RS232. There are several codes. This device would hook up to the back of the unit's RS-232 port and have an IR receiver that would need to be placed somewhere in clear view. I would create a new IR file for the remote adding a new page or two for the discrete codes.

Anybody interested?

Brent Huskins
    Media Design
    HTGuide Sponsor

Comment

• netarc
      • Jul 2003

Originally posted by bhuskins
      You have to do it with RS-232 to get the discrete codes. I've though about selling an RS232 to IR adapter preconfigured to handle the discrete codes that are only available to the C1/C2 via RS232. There are several codes. This device would hook up to the back of the unit's RS-232 port and have an IR receiver that would need to be placed somewhere in clear view. I would create a new IR file for the remote adding a new page or two for the discrete codes.
      Interesting...disappointing that this functionality would be avail via RS-232, but not over IR Let's hope that this can be added via a future firmware upgrade.

Brent, do you have a list of the "discrete" functions that the 232 interface would enable?
      Last edited by netarc; 23 May 2005, 20:44 Monday.

Comment

• _PM
        • Nov 2004

I'm interested!
        Can you give an indication of the price of this device?
        Would it be possible to reprogram it yourself? (in case of other features or use on other devices)

Comment

• bhuskins
          • Aug 2003

These are the basic discrete RS232 codes available - http://www.parasound.com/pdfs/C1_C2_RS232Codes.pdf.

There is actually a more in depth list available to AMX dealers on their site that I personally use.

This is very much the norm for all A/V PrePro's from all the brands out there. There are always several direct RS232 codes that don't have IR counterparts. This is the reason AMX and Crestron exist to some extent. I can create a touchpanel that will do anything you want, but the level of integration is high and somewhat costly compared to an IR remote.

I might be willing to program the IR to RS232 part needed to add the discrete codes for IR users if 10 or so people were willing to buy it.

Brent Huskins
          Media Design
          HTGuide Sponsor

Comment

• bhuskins
            • Aug 2003

It would likely be $300 to $400 depending on the parts cost.

Brent Huskins
            Media Design
            HTGuide Sponsor

Comment

• netarc
              • Jul 2003

I might be willing to program the IR to RS232 part needed to add the discrete codes for IR users if 10 or so people were willing to buy it.
              Thanks, Brent ... so this would be an IR receiver that plugs in to the RS232 port? Presumably it would need to incorporate some sort of transceiver (to translate IR code to the command to send over RS-232) too?

I may be interested in this part from you ... but frankly I'd really be curious to try to put one together myself. Could you refer me to the type of component/transeiver that would be involved, and what software tool one would need to program it? Alternatively, I suppose one could investigate using Girder on my HTPC (again, with an IR receiver) to control the C1/C2 as well.

Comment

• Chris D
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Dec 2000

Interesting, netarc, and Brent. I'd naturally be interested as well, but for me personally, that $$$ just wouldn't be justifiable for a few discrete codes. Great idea, though!

And hi, PM, and welcome to Club Parasound and the Guide! :banana:
                CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                - Pleasantville

Comment

• _PM
                  • Nov 2004

-offtopic- Hi Chis! (and other parasound users!) SHORT intro: I've been reading the forum for a few months now... don't post too often... I've got a C2 and 1206 -/offtopic-
                  300 to 400 dollars (+transport and taxes in Netherlands) is a bit too much for this minor part of extra functionality. I would rather wait and hope for IR discretes.

Comment

• bhuskins
                    • Aug 2003

Really the $300 to $400 would barely cover the parts. It's really only viable when someone is considering a touchpanel with RS232 integration as the other alternative. Then $300 to $400 is cheap.

Brent Huskins
                    Media Design
                    HTGuide Sponsor

Comment

• Chris D
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Dec 2000

Exactly right.
                      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                      - Pleasantville

Comment

• _PM
                        • Nov 2004

Is is indeed not really expensive for the hardware. But to expensive at this moment for me.

Comment

• netarc
                          • Jul 2003

Really the $300 to $400 would barely cover the parts. It's really only viable when someone is considering a touchpanel with RS232 integration as the other alternative. Then $300 to $400 is cheap.

Brent Huskins
                          Media Design
                          HTGuide Sponsor
                          So what kind/brand of hardware are we talking about?

Comment

• bhuskins
                            • Aug 2003

IR to RS232 converter

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"