HELP! Upgrading deleted my surround channels!!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Peter Nielsen
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

HELP! Upgrading deleted my surround channels!!!!

I just upgraded the Halo C2 to the newest software. Now, no matter what I do, I can't get any sound out of the two surround channels. (Back channels work fine). I have tried to restore to the default settings to no avail....

I've tried to set the size to small, or large. No difference. The channels are completely silent even for the autocalibrate functions....

Is there any way to put back the old version 6.52?

Peter
    Last edited by Peter Nielsen; 17 March 2005, 10:36 Thursday. Reason: All's Well That Ends Well
  • nicholtl
    • Aug 2003

Pete, silly question, but have you tried checking the connections? Or maybe the gain on the amp is turned all the way down? Could the speaker level settings possibly have gone haywire, and set the surrounds to -10dB?

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

Originally posted by nicholtl
      Pete, silly question, but have you tried checking the connections? Or maybe the gain on the amp is turned all the way down? Could the speaker level settings possibly have gone haywire, and set the surrounds to -10dB?
      I have checked the connections. Swapping the back/surround XLR plugs on the C2 gives me sound from the surrounds and dead backs: i.e. the speakers & amps work but the surround outputs on the C2 are dead.

I have checked all the levels and size settings and even reset them all to 0dB :cry: :cry: :cry:

I did not fiddle with any connections before the problem appeared, so I'm 100% sure it is the new software that caused the L&R surround outputs to go dead...

Peter

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

Yikes. The thing that pops into my head is not only level settings, but that with the new software the other settings were re-input correctly, identifying to the C2 that yes, you do have surround and surround back channels. If you're sure that's set correctly, then I don't know what else.

Sounds like something to ask Parasound's tech support. Yes, I wouldn't be surprised if you can get 6.52 from them and re-flash the C2.
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Chris Dotur
          Yikes. The thing that pops into my head is not only level settings, but that with the new software the other settings were re-input correctly, identifying to the C2 that yes, you do have surround and surround back channels. If you're sure that's set correctly, then I don't know what else.
          Yes, I'm sure everything is set-up right. The first time around, I simply restored my original settings. When I noticed the problem, I reset everything to factory defaults in the belief that something got screwed up. However, no change. Whatever I do, I cannot get any sound out of the Left & Right surround outputs.

Originally posted by Chris Dotur
          Sounds like something to ask Parasound's tech support. Yes, I wouldn't be surprised if you can get 6.52 from them and re-flash the C2.
          Let's hope so... Now, why don't they have a 24-hour hot line so that I could get some sleep tonight... :roll:

Peter

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2004

I talked to Parasound's tech support today. They were stumped. This is the first time they have heard about this problem. They agreed to e-mail me v6.52 and give it a try, but the person I talked to seemed pretty confident that it will NOT solve the problem and told me that I will have to send in the unit for service.

I just got an e-mail with v6.52. If the downgrade does not remedy the problem, I will have overnight the unit to California tomorrow... :cry:

Peter

Comment

• Swfalcon
              • Jul 2004

have you saved your old parameters with the halosoftware and tryed to restore it after the upgrade ?

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                Super Senior Member
                • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Swfalcon
                have you saved your old parameters with the halosoftware and tryed to restore it after the upgrade ?
                That was the first thing I did. All settings were properly restored (except for the sub frequency - which seems to be "normal" as I read that somebody else also noticed this glitch).

It is obvious that the software upgrade broke something. The Level and Distance Autocalibrate believe that the channels are present, but when it tries to autocalibrate, it fails because the outputs are dead. (The same goes for the TEST function on the remote. There is a moment of silence when the test signal should be output to the respective surround speaker).

Everything works fine except that the balanced surround outputs are dead. (I did not try the unbalanced RCAs).

Peter

Comment

• nicholtl
                  • Aug 2003

Man, this really sucks! I wish it didn't have to happen to you. =(

Well...I guess let us know how it goes?

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Sep 2004

Nicholtl, remember the other thread where I said that "Party" mode on my C2 only uses the surrounds and not the backs? Well, now after the downgrade, my "Party" mode suddenly is using the backs! Weird!

Unfortunately the surround channels are still dead, so I'm shipping the unit to Parasound tomorrow. Brent told me that Parasound is generous enough to return the unit with the same type of shipping it is sent in with. If I overnight it to them, they will overnight it back to me once they have fixed it - which probably won't be long. Overnighting from NC will put me back $130, but at least with a little luck, I will have it back in the beginning of next week! (With ground shipping it would take 2-3 weeks just in round-trip shipping time).

Peter

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Sep 2004

:beer2: a weekend without music is tough...

:tired: opcorn: ;s@ ;lx xx) :rx ;zx :hb :f> :# :boozer: arty: :fight: :hump: :urinate: :beer: :argue: :beer2: :grab: :stupidpc: :tv: oke:

Comment

• nicholtl
                        • Aug 2003

hahahahahaha hang in there!

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Sep 2004

This is obviously a mystery to Parasound as well. They have had my C2 since last Wednesday and haven't located the fault yet. They just called me and told me that they decided to not have me wait any longer. They will ship me a brand new unit today. Whoo-hoo! :T

Peter

Comment

• Chris D
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Dec 2000

Now that's service! :banana:
                            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• nicholtl
                              • Aug 2003

Seriously! It took Pioneer Elite a MONTH before they decided to ship me a new unit! Now you'll just have to break in the new C2.

Comment

• bhuskins
                                • Aug 2003

Parasound told me that it was a coincidental occurrence on Peter's unit and they have not seen this on anyone else's. So, whatever Peter did, don't do it

Brent Huskins

Comment

• NAV
                                  • Mar 2005

I had a different problem from Peter when upgrading the firmware on my C1. I followed the upgrade procedure step by step. I uploaded and flashed the hex file 100% completed but it kept failing to upload and configured the C1_US_Final_PLIIx.upd file. (I was using direct RS serial cable with a new laptop). I looked at the .upd file and it’s just an Xml config file for the PLIIx settings. The Xml syntax was correct so I was sure the file is OK.

The error in the message windows turned to red background with the messages:
                                  Error in verifying at 66 File:7 Titan:0
                                  Configuration error!
                                  Try again.

I tried again with an older desktop and laptop to upload just the .upd file, still same problem. I called Parasound tech support. They asked me to press the On/OFF front panel switch for a couple seconds, it showed Version 6.80, etc…so it confirmed that the hex file was uploaded and flashed properly to the EPROM. All buttons halo lights were on except the On/Off switch even though I could still turn the unit on or off with On/Off switch, but no sound at all from any channel and the Surround button did not lid up either when pressed. First time they ever heard of this problem and asked me to send in the unit for service.

I am in the SF bay area so I drop off the C1 last Monday and pick it up last Thursday. I met Richard Schram while I was there. We chatted a bit and he offered and insisted to take the unit downstairs to my car. I reluctantly accepted the offer. What a service!!!

Parasound replaced my C1’s DSP board to the most current one in production. Like a brand new unit. I am extremely happy with the new PLIIx-LipSync upgrade features and most of all the quick, friendly and professional service by the people at Parasound.

So Pete, I am not at all surprise that they shipped you a brand new C2. Outstanding services!

Question: What are you guys impression about the sound and features after the upgrade? Should we have a survey for this topic?

NAV

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Sep 2004

Received the new unit today (indeed, it is a brand new unit with a serial number about a hundred higher than my old unit).

I immediately flashed it with v6.80, and like the last time the upgrade process went smoothly. However, with this unit I now have all channels working also after the upgrade. All is well! :T :T :T

Peter

Comment

• Q-Man
                                      • Mar 2004

Peter,
                                      Our you saying that you received the new C2, but it didn't have the update installed?

Comment

• Chris D
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Dec 2000

Purchasing a new C1 -- $6000 Retail

Price of gas to Parasound's headquarters to drop off C1 for upgrade -- $8.00

Having the company president carry your C1 out to the car for you -- Priceless

:rofl: That's a great story :rofl:
                                        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Q-Man
                                          Peter,
                                          Our you saying that you received the new C2, but it didn't have the update installed?
                                          They sent a brand new box directly from stock. 100% virgin and factory sealed. Obviously the units in stock still have v6.52 installed.

They DID ask me if I wanted them to bring in the unit to the service department first, to install the update, but I declined. I figured that I did not want their fingerprints on my new unit :B

Ohhh, I'm so happy! The new unit is cosmetically just as perfect as the old one :T

Peter

Comment

• bhuskins
                                            • Aug 2003

You can request the new software on a new unit or your dealer can put it on for you.

Brent Huskins

Comment

Working...
                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                            Search Result for "|||"